ATL Uber Pickup

Old Jan 8, 18, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
ATL Uber Pickup

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, I looked and didn't see one great place for this so came back here to those who know ATL best. I am flying to Atlanta tomorrow (lucky me) and need to grab uber. Looks like domestic terminal pickup has moved to a really inconvenient location. Two questions:

1- I am not checking bags so don't need to go up to baggage claim, from the train level is there any way to get to the lower baggage claim level without going up to south terminal and back down?

2 - Is it worth the effort to take the plane train to F (international terminal) and grab uber over there?

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 18, 9:05 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Plat, National Executive
I walked to International Terminal during the electrical outage last month and it was super easy to pick up UBER right across from where you get taxis. If no luggage, I would recommend F.
Lehava likes this.
Old Jan 8, 18, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
I've never taken an Uber in ATL from F, but did from a Delta domestic terminal (don't know the number) and it was super easy. Also, it was only $14 into downtown!!
Old Jan 8, 18, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United Silver, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Not sure what's inconvenient about the south pick up point. I fly into Atlanta a lot and always get an Uber. Once the train stops at baggage claim, order your Uber as you get onto the escalator and then with some potentially brisk walking you will arrive as soon as your driver does. With an airport as busy as ATL, converging drop offs and pick ups from the same convenient location is not a good idea.
Old Jan 8, 18, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Lehava View Post
1- I am not checking bags so don't need to go up to baggage claim, from the train level is there any way to get to the lower baggage claim level without going up to south terminal and back down?
I, too, am confused by the 'back down' remark. If you're coming in to E, D, C, B or A, you'll be on the train, anyway. T gates are the exception.
Old Jan 8, 18, 10:54 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Atlanta based here. I always go to the international terminal to grab Uber/Lyft if I don’t have bags.
Lehava and bigbuy like this.
Old Jan 8, 18, 11:28 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
I, too, am confused by the 'back down' remark. If you're coming in to E, D, C, B or A, you'll be on the train, anyway. T gates are the exception.
I think that Lehava is asking if there is a route from the trains to the outside that does not involve going up to the baggage claim level.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such route.
Old Jan 8, 18, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Thanks, yes that was part of the question. For those saying they take Uber from domestic and it is easy, have you done it since the NextGen construction started? They have now moved ride share into the Economy garage and from what I understand (there is a video on ATL's website) it is a bit of a walk and from uber reviews can be a bit difficult with roller bags (thin sidewalks and such). I haven't done it since the move, hence the question. I am leaning towards the advice of going to F since it is out of the construction zone

Originally Posted by angra View Post
I think that Lehava is asking if there is a route from the trains to the outside that does not involve going up to the baggage claim level.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such route.
Old Jan 8, 18, 11:46 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I wouldn’t call it objectively difficult to reach the NextGen domestic pickup zone with a roller bag.

I would say that in comparison to International pickup it’s more difficult, and if you don’t have checked bags then going to International is a better experience.
Lehava and t_cliff like this.
Old Jan 8, 18, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TetonSig View Post
I wouldnít call it objectively difficult to reach the NextGen domestic pickup zone with a roller bag.

I would say that in comparison to International pickup itís more difficult, and if you donít have checked bags then going to International is a better experience.
It's just plain annoying. Sure a good walk is great for someone but plenty just got a nice walk through the terminals. There is already pick up and drop off there so restricting some cars that are using Uber to some location is just silly. It's also a pain for the drivers. Go into parking lot. Get ticket. Find rider. Wait in line to leave. And on the road. I consider this when I decide if to drive myself or take Uber multiple times a week.
Lehava likes this.
Old Jan 8, 18, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Originally Posted by Lehava View Post
For those saying they take Uber from domestic and it is easy, have you done it since the NextGen construction started?
I made the trek last month. I watched the videos and if you are not retrieving checked baggage you definitely want to use the escalator on the Delta (south) side. The signage is good, but it was a bit of a hike. Definitely the longest baggage-claim-to-Uber hike I have ever seen. Still, it does get you away from the terminal congestion.

Never though of going to F. Might give that a try. A question for those who have used F: Is there a "break-even" terminal? i.e., Surely F is the right choice if one arrives on F, E and D. But f I come in on at A is F still the right choice? Or is F always the right choice (even for T)?
Lehava likes this.
Old Jan 8, 18, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
It's not that terrible during non-peak hours. But it is terrible during peak hours (at least when they first started.. I now just do F if I land in D/E/F or do Black if I land in T/A/B/C). First week they started I waited about an hour for a pickup. Most folks I know still say it takes 30-45 minutes if you land on a Thursday evening or other peak travel time.

I'd go to F if it is a peak inbound travel time (Thursday evenings mainly) or pony up for a black car.
Old Jan 8, 18, 1:10 pm

I am landing in ATL this evening, 8:30 or so. I'll be using Uber or Lyft for the first time from this airport, and have a couple of rolling bags since I leave directly for vacation at the end of the week. How ugly is this going to be for me?
Old Jan 8, 18, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United Silver, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
I'm surprised to read all these horror stories. I fly into Atlanta quite frequently and worst I had at south parking is waiting a few minutes for the car to arrive. Because I do it so often, I have now timed the pace of my walk to try to time my arrival just as when the car pulls up. The walk through the covered car park is not great, but it's not horrible.
Old Jan 8, 18, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Go to F if you have no checked bags. When you first open the app Uber will recommend you go to F if you have no checked bags for faster pickup. I did this not too long ago and it worked great.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: