Search

50+ Diamonds onboard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:32 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
Are FOs not allowed to pay for F?

I remember a few years ago on AA there was a very long upgrade list and I was flying paid FC and boarded at the appropriate time. I was about 30 at the time but look younger and some guy standing next to the boarding lane asked the GA, "how did HIS upgrade clear?" whilst pointing at me. Pretty weird.

wow. The amount of assumption in that statement is staggering.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by BlueStreak17

wow. The amount of assumption in that statement is staggering.
Well, what is infuriating is that the FO/no status passenger gets cheaper FCM upgrade options than DM... because DM are more likely to pay for it based on whatever computer algorithm they use to price them. So in a way, there may be some righteous indignation if the FO got a cheaper upgrade than was offered to the DM.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ethernal
Well, what is infuriating is that the FO/no status passenger gets cheaper FCM upgrade options than DM... because DM are more likely to pay for it based on whatever computer algorithm they use to price them. So in a way, there may be some righteous indignation if the FO got a cheaper upgrade than was offered to the DM.
Based on all the anecdotal data points here, I think that's the case. I've seen maybe one good FCM offer as a PM, but used to see them more often as a non-status passenger/lower-tier elite. I'm willing to buy FC when needed, so I think the system sees that. DL IT gets a bad rap, but I bet they put a lot of money into having good data analytics.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by WWads
There are many stories on here of DMs losing it after seeing lower-tier elites in FC while they're in Y. That was back when FCM was relatively new. I haven't seen many recent incidents.
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. ^ I don't spend much time in here...saw this thread as trending on MyFlyertalk
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Huh? there are not infinite customers for DL to pull from (regardless that they think there is).

I am totally cool with a completely revenue based program - make the cut offs variable! make it so only the top x% of fliers get the special treatment!

Of course the implications of that is that nearly everyone on FT will become a free agent. No longer will we be looking to waste money on mileage runs to maintain status.

All the airlines are now in a position where they can't really cut much else since we are all accustomed to being treated a certain way. But they have the issue that a large number of people are flying more and as a result there is a disproportionate number of flyers who sit at a higher level of status. Of course as soon as they cut that status we alter our behavior. Since there are no unprofitable airline customers (just customers that are more profitable) and air travel is cyclical they can't afford to mess with us too much. and which customer is more profitable anyway? The person flying a lot right now? or the steady flier - the one that flies all the time consistently (even in down turns).

The only thing they handed out that was even remotely revenue generating was the upgrades. Guess what? They still did that by revenue. So what exactly s the thinning doing? You won't get upgrades - that is already apparent. I am curious - do you worry you will have to wait a nano-second more on the diamond line? Or is there something else that you are not getting now that you think you will get later?

If this is just fliers thinking they are better than other fliers because those other fliers are not as "pure" as you then the original comment of DYKWIA is completely accurate.
Airlines don't want the higher value frequent flyers to become free agents because then price elasticity would become greater and people who buy reasonably expensive tickets would no longer necessarily book with DL but would compare price and quality offerings of different carriers.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
That is what happens when you get rid of 757's and 767's and replace them with 737's and A321's.

As an aside, lots of them on my DTW-ATL flight earlier today.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Imagine how many PMs will start crowding flights beginning in 2019, with the new $250k spend waiver.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by OroroT
Imagine how many PMs will start crowding flights beginning in 2019, with the new $250k spend waiver.
The folks traveling on what is likely the most desirable Monday AM flight to LAX (8:25 AM) are probably also making the spend waiver...
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:39 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by DCP2016
That is what happens when you get rid of 757's and 767's and replace them with 737's and A321's.
Please elaborate
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cplush
exactly. im gold and recently paid $80 to bump over 56 people on the upgrade list for IND-ATL-PBI in first.
I would buy up more frequently if I ever got those offers. Mine generally look like the IAD-ATL-SJC on 1/18 for $557, or a single leg like IAD-ATL for $250. No thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCP2016

As an aside, lots of them on my DTW-ATL flight earlier today.
I'm afraid you are not going to get a lot of love for the domestic 767's here.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by tvtd

I would buy up more frequently if I ever got those offers. Mine generally look like the IAD-ATL-SJC on 1/18 for $557, or a single leg like IAD-ATL for $250. No thanks.
This is what I see too - big bucks for a two-hour flight. In 2016, as a complete zero, an utter nobody, I got an offer for $285 on KLM for AMS-SFO on the 747. Given there were upper deck seats open, I didn't think twice about it.

Last edited by OroroT; Jan 8, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Airlines don't want the higher value frequent flyers to become free agents because then price elasticity would become greater and people who buy reasonably expensive tickets would no longer necessarily book with DL but would compare price and quality offerings of different carriers.
nah. because every FF program is basically the same now so for every one HVC that leaves delta for another airline, those airlines have the same happening. Or, say someone switches jobs and the preferred airline is different at the new company. Most of these HVCs are picking flights based on schedule. When I book travel for work I try to get as close to the maximum spend allowed so I can get the MQD
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:04 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by gitismatt
When I book travel for work I try to get as close to the maximum spend allowed so I can get the MQD
Really?!?!?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Really?!?!?
Unfortunately, i bet a lot of people do this, given the rules. But most don’t admit it openly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.