FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Using Global Cert on NRT-DTW - Upgrade to D1 only or also PE from Economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1886750-using-global-cert-nrt-dtw-upgrade-d1-only-also-pe-economy.html)

smessaert Jan 6, 2018 9:48 pm

Using Global Cert on NRT-DTW - Upgrade to D1 only or also PE from Economy

I'm flying from NRT - DTW this Tuesday and am in economy (first row) and on the waiting list to use a Global Cert for D1.

Was curious if D1 upgrade doesn't happen, can I also upgrade to PE with same cert?

The cert will already be in use from SIN to NRT as space was confirmed and booked.so whether I use them on NRT - DTW doesn't matter as they'll be gone anyway.

The [phone agent told me that Global Vert could only be used from Economy to D1 but if D1 didn't open up, they weren't sure about getting into PE.

Any experience would be appreciated

flyerCO Jan 6, 2018 10:49 pm

You can upgrade to either. However you'll need to use a 2nd GUC if you clear to PS and then space opens in D1. Can't clear to PS and then clear to D1 using same GUC.

sethb Jan 6, 2018 10:56 pm

The rules say you can use a GUC to upgrade to PE; but once you do, it's used and even if D1 opens up you would need to use another GUC to get it.

smessaert Jan 7, 2018 2:07 am

Thanks for the reply.

if D1 doesn’t clear, I assume I then have the option to choose PE if still available?

two different ticket agents did indicate a change was the PE upgrade policy but wouldn’t elaborate and there still seems to be a lot of confusion round the issue.

ncwillett Jan 7, 2018 8:30 am

Originally Posted by smessaert (Post 29260401)
Thanks for the reply.

if D1 doesn’t clear, I assume I then have the option to choose PE if still available?

So... you want to wait and see if it clears for D!, and if not, switch it to PE. I'm guessing but I don't think that will work. D! may not clear, if at all, until boarding, so you won't know til just before departure whether it's cleared or not. And by then I believe it will be too late to change it to PE, as I believe you need to make the request several hours in advance.

CPMaverick Jan 7, 2018 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by ncwillett (Post 29261244)
So... you want to wait and see if it clears for D!, and if not, switch it to PE. I'm guessing but I don't think that will work. D! may not clear, if at all, until boarding, so you won't know til just before departure whether it's cleared or not. And by then I believe it will be too late to change it to PE, as I believe you need to make the request several hours in advance.

Yes this scenario is pretty hectic. I'd guess you need to switch to a request for PE at least a couple hours before the flight. It's on the customer to decide if they want to give up on D1 or not. And if you wait, maybe someone else switched before you and got the PE seats. You don't know when you wake up if you are flying D1, PE, or economy. Tough call.

DLDiamond2013 Jan 7, 2018 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 29262874)
Yes this scenario is pretty hectic. I'd guess you need to switch to a request for PE at least a couple hours before the flight. It's on the customer to decide if they want to give up on D1 or not. And if you wait, maybe someone else switched before you and got the PE seats. You don't know when you wake up if you are flying D1, PE, or economy. Tough call.

The value in burning a GUC to move from
Main Cabin or Comfort+ to D1 is quite enormous, so I never have an issue doing that. I have not yet flown on an aircraft with PE. For those who have, do you think it’s worth applying a GUC to this upgrade, or just continue to hold out for the jump all the way to D1, and if it doesn’t clear, be satisfied with your Main Cabin seat?

CPMaverick Jan 7, 2018 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013 (Post 29263464)
The value in burning a GUC to move from Main Cabin or Comfort+ to D1 is quite enormous, so I never have an issue doing that.

No doubt, but that isn't the issue. Previously it was pretty straightforward, just waitlist and hope for the best. A little nerve wracking but there isn't a lot you can do except check for shenas. ;)

With the new system, if D1 isn't clearing yet (which DL likes to hold a lot of seats all the way to the gate these days), you are stuck with a tough choice. Give up on D1 and choose PE, or hold out and wait (while PE might fill up with those that bail earlier than you).

DL is kind of making you decide to hold out for the supermodel or take the girl-next-door. And if you choose wrong, you might end up with neither.

They really need a better way, although I fear their 'enhancement' will be 1 GUC to PE, 1 GUC from PE to J. Or a maximum 1-class upgrade.

bennos Jan 7, 2018 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013 (Post 29263464)
The value in burning a GUC to move from Main Cabin or Comfort+ to D1 is quite enormous, so I never have an issue doing that. I have not yet flown on an aircraft with PE. For those who have, do you think it’s worth applying a GUC to this upgrade, or just continue to hold out for the jump all the way to D1, and if it doesn’t clear, be satisfied with your Main Cabin seat?

I would actually put the value of moving from Y to W as relatively greater than W to J. (I've flown as far as JFK-SIN in W on other carriers.) Sure you don't get a lie flat seat and a fancy meal worth $20, but you do get 10+ hours of nobody elbowing you in the side or slamming into your knees, along with slightly better food and amenities.

(My personal strategy would be to purchase W and waitlist for J, though I realize that doesn't work for everyone.)

smessaert Jan 7, 2018 9:12 pm

I flew DTW - NRT in PE the first week of the 350 and it was certainly much better than EC, but no where close the PE experience you find on VA, Singapore or Cathy. I'll pay more for Delta PE but absolutely not the amount Delta is currently asking and certainly not to sit in a center seat. I'll take an isle exit or bulkhead in Economy before a middle in PE.

I also flew Virgin Atlantic in PE from ATL to LHR the following week and the difference was staggering, I'll happily pay for VA PE again as the experience is very nice, much larger seats, better service, more elbow room and generally a much better hard product in my opinion.

Personally I wouldn't burn a GUC for a PE upgrade on Delta as it's a waste IMHO. My strategy is to use ExpertFlyer and look for flights with availability and try to get a flight with GUC availability to D1.

Used GUC on Dec 24 from LAX to SYD and was actually upgraded a week before the flight which was surprising.

davetravels Jan 7, 2018 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by smessaert (Post 29263687)
My strategy is to use ExpertFlyer and look for flights with availability and try to get a flight with GUC availability to D1.

Is ths some new functionality that I somehow missed a post about?!?!? :confused:

CPMaverick Jan 7, 2018 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by smessaert (Post 29263687)
I flew DTW - NRT in PE the first week of the 350 and it was certainly much better than EC, but no where close the PE experience you find on VA, Singapore or Cathy.

Really? VA's PE seems very similar to Delta's PE... what makes it so much better than the Delta product? I've flown it a couple times (op-up) and it was nice, but the hard product is a small upgrade over Y. There are still middle seats.

EDIT: I guess looking at the stats, VA has a bit more width. But DL's legrests look far superior. Not sure why it is 'no where close' to VA.

flyerCO Jan 8, 2018 4:22 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 29263784)
Really? VA's PE seems very similar to Delta's PE... what makes it so much better than the Delta product? I've flown it a couple times (op-up) and it was nice, but the hard product is a small upgrade over Y. There are still middle seats.

EDIT: I guess looking at the stats, VA has a bit more width. But DL's legrests look far superior. Not sure why it is 'no where close' to VA.

I think you mean VS. VA is Australia.

Edit - Just noticed the other post confusing VS/VA wasn't by you.

DeltaFan4Now Jan 8, 2018 5:25 am

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 29263748)
Is ths some new functionality that I somehow missed a post about?!?!? :confused:

O availability correlates to mileage upgrade availability - perhaps that equals GUC as well?

MSPeconomist Jan 8, 2018 10:37 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now (Post 29264595)

O availability correlates to mileage upgrade availability - perhaps that equals GUC as well?

Define "correlates" please. The O inventory bucket on DL is award tickets in D1 (and other flights with business class?).