Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New procedure for SP int'l luggage at MSP? Not impressed

Old Jan 6, 18, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Just flew back from HND through MSP yesterday. As always, after immigration one has to claim luggage, walk through customs, and then recheck bags for final destination. I noticed something that I suppose was intended as an enhancement for SP members.
DL had staff pulling luggage off of the carousel and lining it up in a special section of luggage claim with a "Sky Priority" sign above it. Is this something new? I had never noticed it before. It was awful.

First of all, the plan and signage were not obvious, so many PAX were waiting at the carousel for their bags, having no idea they had been offloaded and were being lined up next to the carousel.
The staff grabbing the bags were missing many of them. So if your bag was priority tagged, some of your bags would be on the carousel and others lined up in the Sky Priority area.
One staff member was pulling the SP tagged bags off, while another two guys were carrying them only 1 or 2 at a time to the SP area. This resulted in a huge pile of bags that had been pulled off, but were not accessible to PAX until they had been moved. Thus, I had to stand and wait for the guys to get to my bag- it would have been far faster to just grab my own bag and walk through customs.
The whole thing just seemed ridiculous and poorly thought out- it certainly was no help. I couldn't figure out how or why MSP would think this was a good idea. Anyone know if this is standard procedure thereof just a one-off experience?
Old Jan 6, 18, 8:32 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by S_D_P View Post
Just flew back from HND through MSP yesterday. As always, after immigration one has to claim luggage, walk through customs, and then recheck bags for final destination. I noticed something that I suppose was intended as an enhancement for SP members.
DL had staff pulling luggage off of the carousel and lining it up in a special section of luggage claim with a "Sky Priority" sign above it. Is this something new? I had never noticed it before. It was awful.

First of all, the plan and signage were not obvious, so many PAX were waiting at the carousel for their bags, having no idea they had been offloaded and were being lined up next to the carousel.
The staff grabbing the bags were missing many of them. So if your bag was priority tagged, some of your bags would be on the carousel and others lined up in the Sky Priority area.
One staff member was pulling the SP tagged bags off, while another two guys were carrying them only 1 or 2 at a time to the SP area. This resulted in a huge pile of bags that had been pulled off, but were not accessible to PAX until they had been moved. Thus, I had to stand and wait for the guys to get to my bag- it would have been far faster to just grab my own bag and walk through customs.
The whole thing just seemed ridiculous and poorly thought out- it certainly was no help. I couldn't figure out how or why MSP would think this was a good idea. Anyone know if this is standard procedure thereof just a one-off experience?
Even better in DTW, SP has its very own carousel. The wayfinding is horrendous, the staff are really no where to be seen to direct anyone, and I believe that they are pulling the luggage off as well but only after it appeared the the flight had "cleared" and the next one was off-loading. However all the bags seem to be mixed together with of course no signage to determine which black suitcase if yours. There were also no announcements so most everyone had gone to the general flight carousel and ran between the two. When the flight began offloading at the general carousel some priority bags came out there and some went to the designated SP one.
Old Jan 6, 18, 9:58 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Some of the Asian airports the staff will pull the early arrived SP bags and place them under an SP banner to make room for the other incoming bags.
Old Jan 6, 18, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
This happens at some airports. At DTW (like JFK last time I went through) there was an announcement on plane by GA that meet the aircraft. Also there was signage saying SP tagged bags would goto one specific belt. I have no problem with that as all SP bags goto the same belt.

However I dislike the airports (as per OP apparently happens at MSP) were they pull the bags off the belt and put to the side. You never know if they've been pulled or are still on the belt.
Old Jan 7, 18, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
IAD used to do this and I thought it was a nice touch, especially when they put the cart out with bottled water. But they only use one of the their two carousels and it was kind of hard to miss the SP sign and stack of bags by it. I don’t know when they stopped, but they’ve given up the practice.
Old Jan 7, 18, 8:50 am

Programs: DL DM
Itís been like that at MSP for at least the last year, and no itís not a very good process.
Old Jan 7, 18, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by chack22 View Post
Itís been like that at MSP for at least the last year, and no itís not a very good process.
Odd. Iíve only arrived into MSP once on an international flight, so my experience is hardly worth extrapolating. But arriving there last fall from LHR, there was none of this Sky Priority bag business. All bags came out normally on the carousel, and all passengers retrieved the bags themselves.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Jan 7, 18, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
At least they are trying to do something.
Old Jan 7, 18, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013 View Post

Odd. Iíve only arrived into MSP once on an international flight, so my experience is hardly worth extrapolating. But arriving there last fall from LHR, there was none of this Sky Priority bag business. All bags came out normally on the carousel, and all passengers retrieved the bags themselves.
I canít say its all the time, but I can definitively say all 7 international arrivals for me last year had this in place. All arrivals from DAL161, not that it should matter.

Search this Thread