Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Job interview at ATL A Sky Club

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Job interview at ATL A Sky Club

No, I don't want a job at a Sky Club. However, it seems that somehow a prospective employee and someone involved in the hiring process at an unrelated (nothing to do with Delta, Sky Club or Atlanta airport) company crossed their paths at ATL this afternoon.

What proceeded was a scene right out of your local Starbucks whereby they decided that Sky Club is an appropriate venue for such events and proceeded to have a full blown job interview for most of the club's upper deck to hear.

I was only popping in for a quick lunch but still had a word with a member of the front desk staff as I was leaving and saw her head towards that area on my way out.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
I'd take this any day over most conversations I've been forced to "listen to" in the SC, from the blowhard business guy to somebody prattling on about their relationship issues.
dmarge18 likes this.

Last edited by OroroT; Jan 5, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:39 pm

How loudly were they talking? Like megaphone levels?
Traveller likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by OroroT
I'd take this any day over most conversations I've been forced to "listen to" in the SC, from the blowhard business guy to somebody prattling on about their relationship issues.
None of those are acceptable and neither should one take one over the other.
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
How loudly were they talking? Like megaphone levels?
Inconsiderately loud.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:55 pm

Did he/she get the job?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:34 am

I realize they cost money, but isn’t stuff like this the reason lounges have conference rooms for rent? I couldn’t imagine doing an interview in public like that, even if I were rude enough to not care about the other lounge users.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:45 am

If someone is yelling on a cell phone or speaking overly loud in public, I always politely ask the person to lower their voice. That usually works well.

I'm genuinely curious: Is doing that unusual? Does that make me a jerk?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Ummmm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
If someone is yelling on a cell phone or speaking overly loud in public, I always politely ask the person to lower their voice. That usually works well.

I think that makes you sane and polite, Sometimes people don't realize how loud they are.
Daze likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
I realize they cost money, but isn’t stuff like this the reason lounges have conference rooms for rent? I couldn’t imagine doing an interview in public like that, even if I were rude enough to not care about the other lounge users.
SkyClub member conference room rates are $50/hour. If a recruiter or prospective employer isn't willing to spend that small sum of money to give a candidate privacy, a candidate knows what he/she needs to know about consideration.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:49 am

I am a member of a group of Emergency Room Physicians and Trauma Surgeons and we were evaluating a new hire about a year or so ago as a Trauma Surgeon.

He was just finished up his residency at Grady Hospital in Atlanta and he happened to be flying home to visit his folks the same day I was passing through with my wife and we agreed to meet up and I guested him into the SkyClub so that we could chat.

We met at the E-Club and I hope that we were quiet and respectful of other club members. We chatted for about 30 minutes or so and then he needed to head out to catch his flight, but that meeting which was more friendly than actual job interview did lead to me recommending to the other partners to consider bringing him in and evaluating him for a spot in our practice.

We did eventually hire him, but I don't see anything wrong with having meetings as long as everyone is respectful of the other folks around you.

Just last week I was privy to a cell phone call at the bar that I am sure the SEC would have labeled insider trading and if I had a few less scruples I would have bought the stock of the company he was talking about.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by kmersh
Just last week I was privy to a cell phone call at the bar that I am sure the SEC would have labeled insider trading and if I had a few less scruples I would have bought the stock of the company he was talking about.
Just one of the reasons my employer feels it is necessary for us to take annual training on "The Company policy for handling non-public information" and yet someone every year ends up getting terminated for violating the company policy.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:00 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by writerguyfl

It's unusual but you're not a jerk. A lot of people are just absolutely petrified of approaching another human being.

FWIW (and this isn't aimed at you, just at the thread in general), I don't really consider it insane to have a conversation with another person in a skyclub.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:05 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pvn
FWIW (and this isn't aimed at you, just at the thread in general), I don't really consider it insane to have a conversation with another person in a skyclub.
+1 Maybe a SkyClub isn't an appropriate place for a job interview but that's not our determination to make.

Basically what this thread boils down to is two people speaking loudly in the SkyClub. At that point, you have four options; approach and ask them to quiet down; go tell a lounge dragon and have them do the dirty work; move to a quieter part of the club; or ignore/put in headphones.
live5 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by pvn

This! I don’t have a problem with people talking to each other in the SCs. I’d actually prefer it to the people who think it’s ok to have a phone conversation on speakerphone in public.

I’ve seen interviews at all kinds of places. Starbucks, Panera, airports, on a customer visit, even at a gym. Personally I think it’s good to see how people react/perform in “out of the box” situations.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
It never ceases to amaze me what people say in public places loud enough for everyone to hear.

I was in a chick-fil-a once and a woman at the next table was buying flowers for someone in the hospital. So kind of her, she said the person's name and which hospital. Then she proceeded to give her payment details on the phone as well. Of course the flower shop employee had trouble hearing her (wonder why?) so she loudly and clearly gave her name, credit card number, expiration date and ccv #. Oh and the flower shop needed her address too, so the entire restaurant got that info too. She could have very easily bankrolled someone else's Amazon habit.

People just don't think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.