Job interview at ATL A Sky Club

Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:15 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Did anything bad happen to her? Did you use that info and buy a bunch of stuff?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pvn
Did anything bad happen to her? Did you use that info and buy a bunch of stuff?
Come to think of it, I should have sold the info on the dark web.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:29 am
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I talk to my travel companions in SkyClubs all the time. And I don’t yell, but also don’t whisper in hushed tones. Skyclub seating is pretty dense. If you’re talking in normal conversational volume, other people are going to be able to hear, especially if they’re sitting nearby, and depending on their demeanor, get annoyed.

I guess it depends on how you view the club. Some people want it like the quiet car on the Acela. Some folks are upset that there are actually other people there and the club is crowded.

Instead of talking to someone, I usually just put on headphones. Not because I’m scared of talking to other people but because it doesn’t rise to a level of concern for me that warrants action.

And I personally think that a SkyClub is a great place for an infomal interview. If two folks are in the airport at the same time, it saves the time, money and hassle of someone traveling for a dedicated interview and is a better option than pretty much any other place in the terminal.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:49 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by defrosted
Come to think of it, I should have sold the info on the dark web.
but did you?

The fact that someone did something that might have negative consequences doesn't mean they made a dumb decision.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pvn
but did you?

The fact that someone did something that might have negative consequences doesn't mean they made a dumb decision.
I see your point, and no I didn't, but can't speak for the other patrons. But I maintain sharing personal information in public places is not a wise decision.

If I run out into a busy street without looking and don't get hit by a car, doesn't mean running into the street without looking is a good idea, just means I was fortunate. Chances are I will get hit eventually.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Darn those pesky Sky Club rules:

"Business meetings, conference calls and job applicant interviews are not permitted in any Delta Sky Club except in the conference rooms. Use of conference room will be at applicable rates."
DiverDave, BenA and defrosted like this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
If someone is yelling on a cell phone or speaking overly loud in public, I always politely ask the person to lower their voice. That usually works well.

I'm genuinely curious: Is doing that unusual? Does that make me a jerk?
I think it is unusual, and some people might think that makes you a jerk, although I certainly do not. I don't mind real two-way conversations, even if they are a little loud. But being forced to listen cell phone calls plucks my nerves something fierce. I had to move three times in the MSP SkyClub a few weeks ago because of loud cell phone talkers.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
This is a problem that plagues airport clubs in the US. It seems that some people feel the need to SHOUT into their phones upon entering the doors of an airport. It would be nice if clubs would invest in larger "quiet areas" and strictly enforced the policy. Also, installing a few phone booths with desk space would be great for those who love to shout into the phone.

It never ceases to amaze me what people say in public places loud enough for everyone to hear.

I was in a chick-fil-a once and a woman at the next table was buying flowers for someone in the hospital. So kind of her, she said the person's name and which hospital. Then she proceeded to give her payment details on the phone as well. Of course the flower shop employee had trouble hearing her (wonder why?) so she loudly and clearly gave her name, credit card number, expiration date and ccv #. Oh and the flower shop needed her address too, so the entire restaurant got that info too. She could have very easily bankrolled someone else's Amazon habit.

People just don't think.
Wow. When I hear this, I think of people like my grandmother who are not cynical enough/not aware enough of how people can use that information nefariously. I would have politely informed her to think of it in the future if she seemed receptive.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:57 am
pvn
Suspended

I see your point, and no I didn't, but can't speak for the other patrons. But I maintain sharing personal information in public places is not a wise decision.

If I run out into a busy street without looking and don't get hit by a car, doesn't mean running into the street without looking is a good idea, just means I was fortunate. Chances are I will get hit eventually.
I agree, you might get hit. That doesn't mean everything is equally risky. You might die in a car accident if you drive to the airport, yet, you probably have taken a car to or from the airport at one point.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:59 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by brewdog11

Wow. When I hear this, I think of people like my grandmother who are not cynical enough/not aware enough of how people can use that information nefariously. I would have politely informed her to think of it in the future if she seemed receptive.
do you guys think crooks are just hanging out in chick-fil-as just hoping someone decides to order something over the phone? You're like 5000x more likely to have your credit card stolen as a result of an e-commerce transaction but people don't seem to be too worried about that.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:00 pm

It never ceases to amaze me what people say in public places loud enough for everyone to hear.

I was in a chick-fil-a once and a woman at the next table was buying flowers for someone in the hospital. So kind of her, she said the person's name and which hospital. Then she proceeded to give her payment details on the phone as well. Of course the flower shop employee had trouble hearing her (wonder why?) so she loudly and clearly gave her name, credit card number, expiration date and ccv #. Oh and the flower shop needed her address too, so the entire restaurant got that info too. She could have very easily bankrolled someone else's Amazon habit.

People just don't think.

I'e heard full information like that too. Usually when they are done, I will go over and politely tell them, that it is a good thing I'm honest because had I been writing it down I would have been equipped to put lots of charges on their card. The last time this happened the person was honestly grateful and really didn't realize how load they had been.

My personal feeling is that a good percentage of today's population has serious hearing loss and doesn't realize that they are talking as loud as they are.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
+1 Maybe a SkyClub isn't an appropriate place for a job interview but that's not our determination to make.

Basically what this thread boils down to is two people speaking loudly in the SkyClub. At that point, you have four options; approach and ask them to quiet down; go tell a lounge dragon and have them do the dirty work; move to a quieter part of the club; or ignore/put in headphones.
There's a fifth option -- join the conversation! That will shame them, or at least get them to move away from you...
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by pvn
do you guys think crooks are just hanging out in chick-fil-as just hoping someone decides to order something over the phone? You're like 5000x more likely to have your credit card stolen as a result of an e-commerce transaction but people don't seem to be too worried about that.
I'm not naive enough to think that nobody would take the opportunity after having all the info laid out to them on a silver platter. Crooks need to eat lunch, too.

Either way, this is why I seek out credit cards with no liability for fraudulent transactions.

Cheers.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:52 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by brewdog11
I'm not naive enough to think that nobody would take the opportunity after having all the info laid out to them on a silver platter. Crooks need to eat lunch, too.
I didn't say nobody would take the opportunity.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
There's a fifth option -- join the conversation! That will shame them, or at least get them to move away from you...
Sixth option: Look intently in their direction and appear to be taking notes on a notepad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.