Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Job interview at ATL A Sky Club

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Did he/she get the job?
I was more concerned with did techie get on the plane
Originally Posted by TTT
+1 Maybe a SkyClub isn't an appropriate place for a job interview but that's not our determination to make.
I think that it is very much each SC visitor's determination whether some behaviour is acceptable or not.
Originally Posted by BlueStreak17
And I personally think that a SkyClub is a great place for an infomal interview. If two folks are in the airport at the same time, it saves the time, money and hassle of someone traveling for a dedicated interview and is a better option than pretty much any other place in the terminal.
SCs are not appropriate for interviews, in my opinion, however informal, especially if speaking inconsiderately loud enough.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:44 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Darn those pesky Sky Club rules:

"Business meetings, conference calls and job applicant interviews are not permitted in any Delta Sky Club except in the conference rooms. Use of conference room will be at applicable rates."
Good find - I guess Delta has made the determination that a SkyClub isn't appropriate for an interview. Or they found an easy way to add a bit more to the bottom line.

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
There's a fifth option -- join the conversation! That will shame them, or at least get them to move away from you...
Sixth option: Look intently in their direction and appear to be taking notes on a notepad.
+1 ^
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:33 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
How is a no interview policy really enforcable? Every interview I’ve had is a conversation between two people. Even if DeltA employees did listen to the content of the conversation, anything in an actual interview could be plausibly part of a conversation between two people trying to get to know one another better.
Formal interviews with more than one interviewer I understand, I think the point of this rule is to ban meetings with multiple people participating.
I think a policy against two person conversational interviews is unenforceable.
pvn likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by TTT
Good find - I guess Delta has made the determination that a SkyClub isn't appropriate for an interview. Or they found an easy way to add a bit more to the bottom line.

+1 ^
Except, I cannot recall the last time I saw a conference room in a Sky Club.

Are there any left, or have they been made obsolete by the "logic" of: "In this space, I can put a conference table with maybe three people sitting around it... or I can tear down the walls and put in 12 chairs"?

I actually had a need for a conference room 7 or 8 years ago. At that time, you had to go thru Regus to reserve a Sky Club room.

Between Regus not returning my calls and Regus staff not knowing what was going on, I finally gave up.

Back in the Crown Room days, such matters were straightforward and I made effective use of the conference rooms. They added to the "business-like atmosphere" of the Crown Rooms. While that same phrase is used in the Sky Club rules, there is no such business-like atmosphere in the Delta Sky Club.

Which cycles us back to the main theme of this thread.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:09 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'

Except, I cannot recall the last time I saw a conference room in a Sky Club.

Are there any left, or have they been made obsolete by the "logic" of: "In this space, I can put a conference table with maybe three people sitting around it... or I can tear down the walls and put in 12 chairs"?

I actually had a need for a conference room 7 or 8 years ago. At that time, you had to go thru Regus to reserve a Sky Club room.

Between Regus not returning my calls and Regus staff not knowing what was going on, I finally gave up.

Back in the Crown Room days, such matters were straightforward and I made effective use of the conference rooms. They added to the "business-like atmosphere" of the Crown Rooms. While that same phrase is used in the Sky Club rules, there is no such business-like atmosphere in the Delta Sky Club.

Which cycles us back to the main theme of this thread.
From Delta Website:

You can reserve a conference room even when you're not traveling. Below is a list of Delta Sky Club locations with conference rooms.
  • Atlanta, GA - Concourse A on 2nd level
  • Atlanta, GA - T6
  • Boston, MA - Satellite
  • Cincinnati, OH - B14
  • Dallas, TX - Gate 10
  • Detroit, MI - A68
  • Detroit, MI - A18

So 7 SkyClubs in 5 airports have this option even available.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-services.html

You can reserve a conference room even when you're not traveling. Below is a list of Delta Sky Club locations with conference rooms.
  • Atlanta, GA - Concourse A on 2nd level
  • Atlanta, GA - T6
  • Boston, MA - Satellite
  • Cincinnati, OH - B14
  • Dallas, TX - Gate 10
  • Detroit, MI - A68
  • Detroit, MI - A18
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'd rather do a job interview over a Sweetwater 420 or a plate of cheese cubes and crackers in a SC than in an office.

I've also found that airline lounges are great places to meet random people in general.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueStreak17
How is a no interview policy really enforcable? Every interview I’ve had is a conversation between two people. Even if DeltA employees did listen to the content of the conversation, anything in an actual interview could be plausibly part of a conversation between two people trying to get to know one another better.
Formal interviews with more than one interviewer I understand, I think the point of this rule is to ban meetings with multiple people participating.
I think a policy against two person conversational interviews is unenforceable.
SC dragon can tell them to refrain from such conduct and, if they do not cease and desist, dragons have authority to eject people from SCs. Just don't conduct yourself in such manner, it's simple. If you want to have an informal interview, have a conf call from the comfort of your own office/home.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:57 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by techie
SC dragon can tell them to refrain from such conduct and, if they do not cease and desist, dragons have authority to eject people from SCs. Just don't conduct yourself in such manner, it's simple. If you want to have an informal interview, have a conf call from the comfort of your own office/home.
From what conduct? Talking???
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:59 pm
pvn
Suspended

I think that it is very much each SC visitor's determination whether some behaviour is acceptable or not.
Well, sure, you can decide that some guy sitting there minding his own business eating his tillamook is UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR but nobody else will care.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
From what conduct? Talking???
I don't have issue with talking. So long as it's done at suitable volume and the conversation is not one that's best reserved for a meeting room.
Originally Posted by pvn
Well, sure, you can decide that some guy sitting there minding his own business eating his tillamook is UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR but nobody else will care.
Sure, but what happens is ultimately up to the lounge dragon.

Bottom line: they were speaking loudly and having an interview at whatever voice volume is not acceptable for the general area of any SC. It's not Starbucks. Some people in my position may be happy to roll eyes, shake heads, tsk, sigh, put headphones on, move elsewhere. To each their own.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:20 pm
pvn
Suspended

What is inappropriate about it? Other than the volume, which could apply to any conversation?

Is it just that someone who wanted to increase the utilization of the conference rooms thought a RULE would be a good idea? Or is there some other thing that makes this particular type of conversation deeply offensive?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
What is inappropriate about it? Other than the volume, which could apply to any conversation?

Is it just that someone who wanted to increase the utilization of the conference rooms thought a RULE would be a good idea? Or is there some other thing that makes this particular type of conversation deeply offensive?
Not necessarily offensive, I am just principally against doing something like that at SCs. They are meant to be a place to relax and unwind. I don't understand why people think that just because something is not illegal/offensive then anything goes in SCs.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:13 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'

Delta Dragon: You’re not allowed to conduct interviews in the Skyclub.
Customer: This isn’t an interview. We are just talking about work.
Dragon: well I think it’s an interview
Customer: well it’s not. We are just two people talking.

See how this is unenforceable? It seems a policy that bans something based solely on the content of conversation is dumb as long as it isn’t vulgar/obscene. Volume of conversation, sure. Number of people having the conversation, maybe. But two people simply talking about work? I don’t want, nor do I think it’s appropriate, for the SkyClub staff to monitor/regulate the content of the conversations I have with fellow travelers in the SkyClub. Just because a rule exists doesn’t mean it’s not dumb/inappropriate/totally unenforceable.

I think some people would rather have people not talk at all in the SkyClub or would rather not have any other humans in the SkyClub. That’s where this comes from.

Last edited by BlueStreak17; Jan 6, 2018 at 8:25 pm
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Not necessarily offensive, I am just principally against doing something like that at SCs. They are meant to be a place to relax and unwind. I don't understand why people think that just because something is not illegal/offensive then anything goes in SCs.
I haven't been in a sky club for a while. Is there a list of acceptable conversation topics posted somewhere?
estedman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.