Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy and Delta Gold Skymiles AmEx

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy and Delta Gold Skymiles AmEx

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

So we just went ahead and booked our BE flight. There was some discussion from folks here the fare might go down, but I didn't want to chance that, esp in light of this "Fall Break" mentioned. I did get confirmation at the end that even with the BE fare, we still will get our first checked bag each free (due to booking with Delta AmEx). So the only downside is if one or more legs we can't sit together, but we will make due. It's just criminal though that we have to face possibly not sitting together, whilst still paying as much as we did on prior trips before we were subject to BE. I think the airlines need more regulation to curb these kinds of egregious forms of fiscal abuse. Next thing you know they will charge you to sit in a seat at the waiting area of the terminals and put coin slots on the lavatory doors of the plane.

Last edited by QuiGonJohn; Jan 6, 2018 at 12:59 pm
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A bit of an odd reaction to be fully aware of the downsides of BE, book it nonetheless, and then be critical that DL offers the product.

Air carriers only offer these products because consumers purchase them. You did.

DL pioneered BE for US domestic and it has been so successful that DL expanded the routes on which it is offered and it is now offered by UA and AA as well. What does that tell you about consumer behavior and why these fares are expanding not contracting.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Umm, because with all these restrictions it should be cheaper, not the same price as what we paid in the past, before BE came into existence. Same price and less benefits/service = complaint, for most people.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QuiGonJohn
Umm, because with all these restrictions it should be cheaper, not the same price as what we paid in the past, before BE came into existence. Same price and less benefits/service = complaint, for most people.
Fares are dynamic. You are looking at a relatively short time windows when comparing fares. Go back 5 or 10 years and I bet the fares on this route (when inflation adjusted) were significantly higher, and that main cabin fare would have looked quite reasonable. Two or three years from now, if BIS gets an LCC, the main cabin could very well be less than the current BE fares. Back when DL started playing with BE fares in 2012 on the DTW-Florida routes there was no B6 on BOS-DTW, there was no AS on SEA-DTW and there was no WN on DAL-DTW and fares on these routes were much higher than the current main cabin fares (particularly if you did not have a roundtrip with a Saturday night stay). Your talk "extortion" and "criminality" is just plain silly. ULCC's and LCC's are growing at 10 - 15% annual clips which the legacies are only at 1 - 2%. There has been and continues to be considerable downward fare pressure as these trends continue.
CarmenOM likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you buy it, you are encouraging it.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:24 pm
21A

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
This is not guaranteed. IF you are assigned a seat at the 24 hour window, you have the ability to change it. But if Delta has not assigned you a seat, you do not have the ability to select one. You must wait until you receive a seat assignment or get to the airport.
Also, I posted this in another thread, but the non-preferred seats become available for BE fares 24 hours before each leg individually. Once you get an “assigned at gate” boarding pass you can’t use the seat map anymore (even if seats open up), so it’s best to avoid checking in until all segments are within 24h. As others have mentioned, you can select seats in My Trips at T-24 without checking in.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So we just went ahead and booked our BE flight. ... I did get confirmation at the end that even with the BE fare, we still will get our first checked bag each free (due to booking with Delta AmEx). So the only downside is if one or more legs we can't sit together, but we will make due.
You get your first checked bag free regardless of how you book, as it's tied to your Delta Skymiles account. And if you don't like Delta's BE, you're going to hate United or AA's, because they're both more restrictive than Delta's.

Originally Posted by Often1
A bit of an odd reaction to be fully aware of the downsides of BE, book it nonetheless, and then be critical that DL offers the product.
Air carriers only offer these products because consumers purchase them. You did.
It is interesting but also funny because the different carriers have different ideas of what BE is. Delta allows a full size carry on, which AA/UA don't. When booking BE on Delta, as far as onboard service goes, you're only giving up seat assignments and upgrades. Flying BE on AA/UA is much more of an inconvenience.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
If you buy it, you are encouraging it.
So what do you suggest? Paying the higher Main Cabin fare is encouraging it as well. That leaves drive or do not take the trip, neither really an option in our case. So we pay the lower fare (akin to what we always paid), but now with less service/more restrictions. Perhaps the answer is going after big airlines corporate people, CEO, board members with radical activism.

Originally Posted by 21A
As others have mentioned, you can select seats in My Trips at T-24 without checking in.
I missed this. I will try to pick our first leg seats at T-24, then the same for the second leg, then checkin. If it won't let me pick any seats on one or both, should I checkin or just wait until the gate?

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
It is interesting but also funny because the different carriers have different ideas of what BE is. Delta allows a full size carry on, which AA/UA don't. When booking BE on Delta, as far as onboard service goes, you're only giving up seat assignments and upgrades. Flying BE on AA/UA is much more of an inconvenience.
What's funny is your apparent between the lines statement that because other airlines are worse we should be happy about or grateful for what Delta is doing. All of these airlines need to be attacked.

Last edited by QuiGonJohn; Jan 7, 2018 at 6:09 am
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:29 pm

So what do you suggest? Paying the higher Main Cabin fare is encouraging it as well. That leaves drive or do not take the trip, neither really an option in our case.
What about driving to SFB and taking the direct Allegiant flight? It's a 3+ hour drive, yes, but probably about the same travel time. And I guarantee that you can sit together on the drive to SFB

Perhaps the answer is going after big airlines corporate people, CEO, board members with violent activism.
I've heard of boycotts, I've heard of violent activism, but I've never heard of anyone giving money to a company that they want to violently attack. That's a new one for me. Will you be paying the annual fee on your Delta AMEX before or after your violent uprising?

There are always alternatives, just less convenient ones. You are rewarding Delta by choosing them vs. the alternatives.

BIS has 4 other airlines servicing it. You chose Delta to save money. Protesting your treatment is hypocritical, if you care that much, don't reward Delta.

Vote with your wallet. Fly another airline, drive to another airport (lord knows there are plenty within driving distance of FLL), or don't go. One thing is for certain.... complaining on the Internet while giving Delta $$ is not going to change anything.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 6, 2018 at 7:43 pm
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Never knew of Allegiant or them having direct flights from Sanford to Bismarck. Will keep that option in mind for any future trips. Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:08 pm

Never knew of Allegiant or them having direct flights from Sanford to Bismarck. Will keep that option in mind for any future trips. Thanks.
FYI, Allegiant only sells tickets ~7 months in advance.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Yes I did a comparison with the first & second Wed's in Aug. Would definitely saved some coin. May work better after we move in 2019 to Pasco County, will be much closer.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Comparing what a ticket today (or in the future) in one fare bucket costs to what a ticket with better bells and whistles used to cost is folly and only serves to sell blood pressure medication.

Y tickets used to include full hot meals and everybody got at least one bag included. Not anymore.

So long as there is a market, there will be sellers. You are that market.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:58 pm
21A

I missed this. I will try to pick our first leg seats at T-24, then the same for the second leg, then checkin. If it won't let me pick any seats on one or both, should I checkin or just wait until the gate?
​​​​
In my opinion, there’s no advantage to checking in early in this situation because it would eliminate the option of selecting seats from the map if they open up in the following hours (though in my experience, you might see one appear here or there but a group together is unlikely).

Although nothing is guaranteed, I think with >1 passenger on the same PNR you have a decent shot at getting seated together either automatically or by asking the gate agent. Try to get to the gate an hour before departure so you can make the request before the agent has already processed the list.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:12 pm

At the least, if one of you can get an aisle or window, it improves your chances of swapping once on the plane. If you are both in middle seats, nobody is going to want to switch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.