Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Silver Status - Likelihood of Upgrade?

Old Jan 3, 18, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

I'm new to getting status to an airline. Reached Silver (yes, I know it's not the highest tier).

I'm flying from LAX - JFK towards the end of January. Booked Delta+ Comfort and I check the seats everyday to see how many Delta One seats are available. Seems like a lot.
What is the likelihood I'd get upgraded to Delta One?
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by rubytraveler View Post
I'm new to getting status to an airline. Reached Silver (yes, I know it's not the highest tier).

I'm flying from LAX - JFK towards the end of January. Booked Delta+ Comfort and I check the seats everyday to see how many Delta One seats are available. Seems like a lot.
What is the likelihood I'd get upgraded to Delta One?
Day of the week is a factor but still probably be "very low" would be my guess, even if you're on a Saturday flight. Many of these seats probably sell closer to departure and many others may go to Diamonds and Platinums who have Regional Upgrade Certs (RUCs) waitlisted, which may not even clear until right before boarding at the gate.
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:26 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Zero -- Domestic D1 flights are not eligible for Medallion Complimentary upgrades until Apr 1.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html

Even after that date, your chances will likely be non-existent for all practical purposes.
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. It's a Sunday flight to JFK and Thurs night flight back to LAX.
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:28 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Thanks. It's a Sunday flight to JFK and Thurs night flight back to LAX.
Prime business times I'm afraid. I would expect your chances to be close to zero.
rubytraveler likes this.
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Can I upgrade using points?
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Can I upgrade using points?
Yes you can, if there is inventory available for mileage upgrades. You will need to call to find out. I just did this last week. It takes a lot of miles though, 40k each way.
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by lbcnu View Post
Yes you can, if there is inventory available for mileage upgrades. You will need to call to find out. I just did this last week. It takes a lot of miles though, 40k each way.
Plus a T fare bucket or higher though OP is in C+ already which with OP being a Silver, I'm guessing means OP booked C+ outright so the fare bucket requirement should be met.
Old Jan 3, 18, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
My biggest perk of being Silver was having someone thank me for being a Medallion member. (They never said silver as far as I can remember, and I asked my other half who says he doesn't remember hearing them say that, either.)

BUT if I'd flown more and been willing to take more booking chances, I could tell you more about upgrades or lack thereof. And I get luggage fees paid through my Delta AmEx, but still - I think it's kinda cool.
Old Jan 3, 18, 4:23 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
Plus a T fare bucket or higher though OP is in C+ already which with OP being a Silver, I'm guessing means OP booked C+ outright so the fare bucket requirement should be met.
Based on other's experience, they use the underlying fare for the C+ fare to determine mileage upgrade eligibility and mileage amount. If the C+ fare has an underlying X/V fare it will likely not be eligible.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: