Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is there any way to add a Lap Infant ticket online?

Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Of course I forgot to do this earlier, and now with the weather disrupting travel it's a 2+ hour wait to speak to a representative to get this taken care of (Silver Medallion, added my number to the callback queue). Is there anyway to add the lap infant ticket online without speaking to someone? The flight is tomorrow at 7:05am.

Worst case scenario, can I do it at the airport?

Thank you!
Marc
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, there is not.

If this is domestic, you can do it as late as the gate (although you do need to be at the gate a bit early). If it is international, you can do it as late as the ticketing deadline. But, given potential glitches with all manual processes, I would not push that.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by marcdc
Of course I forgot to do this earlier, and now with the weather disrupting travel it's a 2+ hour wait to speak to a representative to get this taken care of (Silver Medallion, added my number to the callback queue). Is there anyway to add the lap infant ticket online without speaking to someone? The flight is tomorrow at 7:05am.

Worst case scenario, can I do it at the airport?

Thank you!
Marc
You can do it at the airport, but it is best to do it in advance. Some aircraft do not have enough oxygen masks in certain
rows or areas of the air craft to accommodate an extra person and it may necessitate a change of seats.
sdadept likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:13 am

Couldn't do it online, so I called and couldn't speak to anyone for hours. Since it was a domestic fare, we just told them at the airport. For international, we needed a ticket so took care of it well in advance.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On international, the charge is usually 10% of the fare at the time of ticketing for the cabin of travel plus 100% of taxes/fees. Sometimes the price goes up the longer you wait and it can be difficult to get this done quickly at an airport.

If you can do something else around a speakerphone, why not try to wait on hold for an agent, perhaps in addition to trying the callback number option. Sometimes the phone queues go faster than expected.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
No, there is not.

If this is domestic, you can do it as late as the gate (although you do need to be at the gate a bit early). If it is international, you can do it as late as the ticketing deadline. But, given potential glitches with all manual processes, I would not push that.
Thank you everyone for the feedback. It is a domestic flight, so seems like it should be relatively easy to add at the airport, but I'll try to do it over the phone beforehand. Of course I was on a conference call and missed the call back from Delta haha. Another 2 hours here we go!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Thank you everyone for the feedback. It is a domestic flight, so seems like it should be relatively easy to add at the airport, but I'll try to do it over the phone beforehand. Of course I was on a conference call and missed the call back from Delta haha. Another 2 hours here we go!
For a domestic flight you can easily do it at the check-in kiosk at the airport. When your reservation comes up on the screen there should be a link to add special services. Clicking on that will pull up a list that includes adding a lap infant. After you enter the information (child’s name and DOB) your boarding pass will print out with the appropriate notation.

bizum likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: DL GM
Keep in mind Delta has a new policy in the last few months where infants now have their own boarding pass as well. I think it's relatively easy to add for most tickets, but the GA struggled a bit with an award ticket on our last flight with an infant in arms. Took a good 20+ minutes to get it done.

Keith
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
The issue is pretty much when you are traveling on a CRJ aircraft (2-2 layout). They only have 2 oxygen masks on the left side and 3 on the right side. So all Infant in arms have to be seated on the right side of the aircraft.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I routinely added lap infants via Twitter (direct message) with Delta, Alaska, and American. By far the easiest. Was typically a one-sentence direct message: "Please add lap infant John Jason Smith (DOB: Jan 1, 2018) to PNR ABCDEF with paid passenger Rebecca Johnson". They'd reply within 2-30 minutes, typically.

(This was in 2014-2016; no more lap infants for me now.)
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On international, the charge is usually 10% of the fare at the time of ticketing for the cabin of travel plus 100% of taxes/fees. Sometimes the price goes up the longer you wait and it can be difficult to get this done quickly at an airport.

If you can do something else around a speakerphone, why not try to wait on hold for an agent, perhaps in addition to trying the callback number option. Sometimes the phone queues go faster than expected.
Depends on international destination. Canada, and I think Mexico, you need a ticket, but pay only taxes. I'm usually a UA guy, but did this on Delta last year once ex-YYZ as well...~$17.00 for the lap infant. Which is definitely not 100% of taxes/fees - on my tickets to/from YYZ, taxes/fees are normally $70+. Likewise, many taxes/fees internationally either don't apply to lap infants, or are less (sometimes for children as well). Just depends on specific country and specific tax/fee.

Originally Posted by HornsKeith
Keep in mind Delta has a new policy in the last few months where infants now have their own boarding pass as well. I think it's relatively easy to add for most tickets, but the GA struggled a bit with an award ticket on our last flight with an infant in arms. Took a good 20+ minutes to get it done.

Keith
That's good to hear. On above said trip last year, CATSA at YYZ T3 didn't want to let us through, and kept trying to send me back to DL check in for a boarding pass for lap infant (who's name I think was on one of the adult's). I'm not sure why they didn't know - it's been the same way, and DL has used the same terminal forever. Hopefully they've changed check in policy as well, which I couldn't do online or at a kiosk - I think the combination of international and lap infant. Wouldn't be that bad if check in wasn't set up to be essentially kiosk only. Waited 30+ minutes, and almost missed the bag cutoff despite arriving in plenty of time since I had to wait for full service check in with was using one desk.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:50 pm

Don't know if it's changed since last year but I added my lap infant online. It's under add services or something. Note that on the regional jets where there aren't extra oxygen masks on one side of the plane, you'll have to switch seats to the other side.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I have low-level J award tickets for a trip to Europe this summer. I didn't book a lap infant ticket when I booked the award tickets because I thought I might use GUCs instead. Now that I've realized the prices for Y tickets are a bit too expensive for the travel dates (or any dates during the same month), I called the DM line to ask about the price of adding the lap infant. I usually check the KLM website to get a rough idea of the lap infant fees before calling, but I couldn't generate a revenue itinerary with the exact same routing in this case. Similar routings were pricing around $7000 in J so I was dreading the call. The agent quoted me about $65, the exact price of the taxes. I asked her to confirm, which she did, and I then asked her ticket it. She promptly disconnected me (although she couldn't bypass the survey question, left her a 1). HUCA...

Agent #2 spent a lot of time doing calculations and quoted me $2100 for the same lap infant ticket. I asked for a supervisor given the large discrepancy between the two figures. He was really nice and contacted the international desk, who came back with a price of $15. This sounded way too cheap, but I asked him to ticket it. I was e-mailed an e-ticket receipt showing the baby in the J cabin, and he attached it to my reservation (so I can see the infant under my itinerary online). Everything looks correct.

A few times in the past I've used GUCs and the lap infant ticket was priced on the original Y ticket (without upcharge), but those tickets were always at least $100. For those with more experience with lap infant fares, am I likely to have issues at the airport or did I just get lucky?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Somebody at the airport could assert you don't have a valid ticket. The general international infant rule is 10% of the available adult fare in the cabin of service, plus taxes. Mileage upgrades or GUCs by the adult don't lead to a cheaper infant ticket. Some carriers (Cathay Pacific comes to mind) price infant tickets at 25%.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
No, there is not.

You should do it at the ticket counter or machine. Infant needs a BP so shouldn't get thru TSA without one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.