Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is there any way to add a Lap Infant ticket online?

Is there any way to add a Lap Infant ticket online?

Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Somebody at the airport could assert you don't have a valid ticket. The general international infant rule is 10% of the available adult fare in the cabin of service, plus taxes. Mileage upgrades or GUCs by the adult don't lead to a cheaper infant ticket. Some carriers (Cathay Pacific comes to mind) price infant tickets at 25%.
Have you ever heard of this happening though? I have flown on GUCs a couple times with a lap infant and both times I ended up paying 10% of the Y fare even though the tickets were all subsequently reissued in J. No issues flying those. I'm inclined to think that once the infant ticket is issued in the correct class, I can't see why the ticket counter agent would want to investigate the price during check-in. But again, $15 is so low that I'm not really sure...
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Somebody at the airport could assert you don't have a valid ticket. The general international infant rule is 10% of the available adult fare in the cabin of service, plus taxes. Mileage upgrades or GUCs by the adult don't lead to a cheaper infant ticket. Some carriers (Cathay Pacific comes to mind) price infant tickets at 25%.
Somebody at the airport? Stop worrying people.

DL is one of the best at honoring tickets once issued. It sounds like money changed hands and you have a ticket number - so you should be all set.

Plus, the international desk priced it and issued it...anyone give you a hard time, just mention that
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Have you ever heard of this happening though? I have flown on GUCs a couple times with a lap infant and both times I ended up paying 10% of the Y fare even though the tickets were all subsequently reissued in J. No issues flying those. I'm inclined to think that once the infant ticket is issued in the correct class, I can't see why the ticket counter agent would want to investigate the price during check-in. But again, $15 is so low that I'm not really sure...
Stop questioning the amount. They are taking the $$ and providing nothing but a ticket # in return. International ticketing calculated it and certainly documented your record...if there was a calculation error, its on DL's end and they have to eat it, not you
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: All of the above
Just paid $90 for infant in arms fee for my granddaughter to Mexico. If MQM's are based on dollars spent, why does she not earn miles?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by flylinda
Just paid $90 for infant in arms fee for my granddaughter to Mexico. If MQM's are based on dollars spent, why does she not earn miles?
MQMs are not based on dollars spent.
Old May 8, 2020, 6:53 am

I am pleased to report that you may save yourself a giant headache from the phone system. Go to delta.com and click on their virtual chat assistant. Type add infant, when the agent sends back the article, answer that it wasn't helpful. The virtual agent will then ask if you'd like to speak to a representative, say yes. You will then be almost instantly connected to a friendly, helpful person who can add your little one. They can even charge it to the card on file in your Skymiles account. While having the option at online booking would be smarter, I was relieved to not have to spend two hours on the phone. I think it took 20 minutes by chat. They even called me to finish the transaction, as I was unable to open the secure form to verify my card on file.

Last edited by Trisha B; May 8, 2020 at 6:54 am Reason: Typo
Old May 8, 2020, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Often1
No, there is not.

If this is domestic, you can do it as late as the gate (although you do need to be at the gate a bit early). If it is international, you can do it as late as the ticketing deadline. But, given potential glitches with all manual processes, I would not push that.
Yes, there is, online chat, much easier.
Old May 8, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Facebook chat worked for me
Trisha B likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
how does this work if some flights are KLM or Air France metal and I am booking thru Delta?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
how does this work if some flights are KLM or Air France metal and I am booking thru Delta?
You will have to call as the infant needs a ticket and you must pay some taxes. (Assuming this is an international itinerary)
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Must call. You have to pay the 10% fare for lap infant (they're not free like domestically). Since it involves segments on more than DL it can't be done online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.