Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Warning for all Medallion members traveling to Tokyo HND

Warning for all Medallion members traveling to Tokyo HND

Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kaka
the english name for the city is Peking
No, it's Beijing.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by moondog
No, it's Beijing.
1983 called....
NOLAnwGOLD likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
What's the best way to get from Constantinople to Canton? Can I transfer at Leningrad?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by koreanair720
What's the best way to get from Constantinople to Canton? Can I transfer at Leningrad?
Perhaps in Rangoon or somewhere in Ceylon.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't Rangoon in French Indochina? It's close to Siam but very far from the USSR and even farther from the DDR and of course BRD.

I'm always a bit amused that airport names are still abbreviated as PEK and CAN despite the city names having changed from Peking to Beijing and Canton to Guangzhou so long ago. There are similar examples in India.
NOLAnwGOLD and Keith2004 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Yes, I remember the 2008 Peking Olympics quite well.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Beijing
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:43 pm

Since this is way off topic, I want to keep it brief, but following are key points:

1. The East India Company sold opium to China in order to procure tea for English people
2. China ended up with a lot of opium addicts, and tried to stop the practice
3. Two wars ensued, and China lost both
4. They ceded HK to England outright, and also offered concessions for foreign countries in Shanghai and Tianjin
5. After England had control of HK, its scholars documented life in China
6. In HK, people speak Cantonese, which is why the older history books used the Cantonese names for cities
7. Mandarin has since taken over
-Beijing
-Nanjing
-Qingdao
-Tianjin
-Chongqing
-Guangzhou
-Shenzhen
etc.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OTOH, I'm a bit surprised that DL isn't continuing one or two night routes from HND as a way of augmenting their slot allocation for daytime flights there. For some purposes, those schedules worked pretty well. IMO when DL did offer such schedules earlier, the big problem was that they were done as D1lite (similar to the NRT-SIN flights) without genuine D1 catering or wines, so it wasn't a genuine premium TPAC offering.
You posted this back in January, but the HND slot applications have since come in and I wanted to say again how it's surprising the DOT hasn't negotiated for more evening slots. They're underused at HND, so there's definitely no shortage of them. They clearly favor HNL/KOA services and even NH still uses its evening slot for LAX, not HNL. If the DOT had asked for, say, the 4 evening slots they had originally on top of what they had available in the daytime, even DL would probably be happy to have one of them for its potential HNL services.

That would mean that of the 14 slot requests for non-HNL flights to HND, a majority of them can be approved, with perhaps AA and UA losing out on their duplicative LAX requests (although I bet AA would win an evening application).
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:11 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, wonder if DL gets a few more what will happen with the lounge access (or lack of!)

Last edited by 3Cforme; Apr 9, 2019 at 6:58 pm Reason: staying away from politics
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I can confirm from recent personal experience that medallions in PE do not get lounge access at HND. However, HND is an attractive airport (lighter, less congested, a more open feel than NRT) with lots of places to eat and drink. I didn’t find it a hardship to forego a lounge (I feel that way about SIN also). Also, the DL checkin and gate staff (some of the checkin staff came out to the gate near departure time) are some of the pleasantest I have encountered.

My one MSP-HND-MSP trip has made me a fan of HND. I also liked the fact that the airport is so close to the city and well connected by subway and monorail. I was fortunate that a 50-55 minute subway ride, with no transfers necessary, got me from the airport to within four blocks of my hotel.
And I can re-confirm this is still the current state of things for Gold Medallions (Elite Plus) as well - pleasant staff; zero lounge options. As others have suggested: plan to hang out pre-security for as long as possible if you want decent food / beverage / shopping before your flight.
Bowgie likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
deleted by Moderator

Last edited by 3Cforme; Apr 9, 2019 at 6:59 pm Reason: staying away from politics
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why not go to the local Chinese language/dialect that was traditionally spoken here, before all the people from the mainland arrived?

BTW, what language is used in the education system at various levels? Are a lot of the university level courses conducted in English?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Taiwan
Zorak likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by koreanair720
did any of these names exist at the same time?

If so I imagine that the equipment used would be of interest
koreanair720 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
did any of these names exist at the same time?

If so I imagine that the equipment used would be of interest
The Cantonese romanizations still exist, but the official language of China is Mandarin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.