Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Warning for all Medallion members traveling to Tokyo HND

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning for all Medallion members traveling to Tokyo HND

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Delta doesn't care about Tokyo or Japan, beyond the legacy business and customer base it inherited from Northwest. If Delta did care it would fly to Tokyo from New York.

Delta cares more about its partnership and joint-venture with communist, state-owned China Eastern.
Why did they come to KE with hat in hand then?

PVG has been a disaster and DL recognizes that. The only reason they aren't bigger at TYO is that they have no partners there.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by WWads

Why did they come to KE with hat in hand then?

PVG has been a disaster and DL recognizes that. The only reason they aren't bigger at TYO is that they have no partners there.
Plan B. I wouldn't want to be counting on China over the next 5 or 10 years. It's very unstable. All those rich kids who came over here to American universities, studied, used Facebook and Google for the first time, and then went back to communist China will eventually want more than they have now. The crackdown on religious exercise, particularly Christianity, and Beijing's anti-Taiwan rhetoric of late are signs that things are unstable over there.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You mean you don't want one of the luxurious KE lounges? The ones that people rave about all the time. Especially, one like the glorious KE lounge at LAX.
I guess it'd be better than nothing.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Plan B. I wouldn't want to be counting on China over the next 5 or 10 years. It's very unstable. All those rich kids who came over here to American universities, studied, used Facebook and Google for the first time, and then went back to communist China will eventually want more than they have now. The crackdown on religious exercise, particularly Christianity, and Beijing's anti-Taiwan rhetoric of late are signs that things are unstable over there.
OMNI/PR?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's also a premium economy cabin, which one would like to associate with some sort of premium service on the ground. To me, this would imply expedited lines, somewhat early boarding, and at least some minimal lounge arrangement for major business oriented routes.
I expected the same and was in for a rude awakening when I flew out of HND yesterday. I will say that the priority security line was fantastic—not one person in line. However, all of the pre-security dining and shopping at HND is so good that I would've hung out there a little longer had I known we were going to get rejected from the lounge. Oh well.
CarmenOM likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's actually a pay lounge that would work for DL flights. It's in the same area as the TIAT lounge DL sends people to, so that it's quite close to the gate DL uses. It's called the Sky lounge (no relation to SkyTeam) and seems oriented toward Japan credit card holders and Diners Club members. In addition, the sign says that others can pay about a thousand yen to enter, less for children. I didn't try it but noticed it on the way to the DL contract lounge. For this set of lounges, you go left after security and passport control, but there might be a similar lounge on the other end of HND with their other set of lounges. Depending on what they offer, the price seems extremely reasonable.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
The paid Sky Lounge at HND is extremely mediocre in that the only freebies offered are some basic soft drinks (no alcohol). If you need a quiet place to sit, it's quite reasonable. But IMO the Ą1,000 is better spent on a meal at the terminal.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
They don't offer much - a place to sit and soft drinks, if I remember correctly
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Still, it's an option and even $9 for a quiet place to wait and consume soft drinks isn't bad. I've never heard of a lounge admission fee that's so low.

OTOH the TIAT lounge that DL uses isn't much either, although I did see alcohol and some not very attractive looking Asian food. It's tired and worn looking, rather depressing IMO, although there are seats with good tarmac views.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
FWIW, when I flew HND-ICN-IAD on Korean -- DL ticket stock -- in J, they gave us a pass to the lovely JAL Sakura Lounge Skyview. Lovely lounge!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by koreanair720
FWIW, when I flew HND-ICN-IAD on Korean -- DL ticket stock -- in J, they gave us a pass to the lovely JAL Sakura Lounge Skyview. Lovely lounge!
That's nice, especially since I suspect this would now be the preferred routing for travel between Washington and Tokyo on SkyTeam, assuming that the schedules are reasonable.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by WWads

We're not talking about FRA or BCN though. Tokyo is an incredibly important market with a lot of competition. AA and UA elites get lounge access at HND. DL elites do not. That's a problem.
AA and UA have the two large Japanese airlines as their partners. DL does not.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:03 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by steveholt
AA and UA have the two large Japanese airlines as their partners. DL does not.
I don't really understand this comment.
All this means is that there would be fewer connections from Delta in Tokyo. That doesn't change the fact that Tokyo is a very important market. If anything, Delta should be trying harder than UA/AA to win business there without a partner.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's nice, especially since I suspect this would now be the preferred routing for travel between Washington and Tokyo on SkyTeam, assuming that the schedules are reasonable.
The preferred routing might actually be HND-MSP-DCA since that routing is ~800 miles shorter than HND-ICN-IAD and gets one to DCA instead of IAD.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:08 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by TBD
I don't really understand this comment.
All this means is that there would be fewer connections from Delta in Tokyo. That doesn't change the fact that Tokyo is a very important market. If anything, Delta should be trying harder than UA/AA to win business there without a partner.
A lot of flyers don't care about lounges at origin and really only use them when connecting.

Plus it's much easier to run a sizable operation when you have partners in place, which should be obvious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.