FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Kindness of strangers at BOS last night (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1885834-kindness-strangers-bos-last-night.html)

mikeef Jan 2, 2018 10:50 am

Kindness of strangers at BOS last night

Last night, my brother and his wife were dealing with two sleeping kids (ages 2 and 6 months) at BOS while waiting for a flight that had taken a 3 hour delay. A random passenger saw them, told them that they probably needed to use the Delta lounge more than he did and gave them two passes to the SkyClub.

Thank you to whoever you are. It's the type of thing that a FTer would do and, if it was you, please PM me so that I can say thank you personally.

Faith in humanity restored on the first day of the year.

Mike

rufflesinc Jan 2, 2018 11:18 am

This reminds me of a post on FT I read over a decade ago, posted by a man from his POV. He entered an airline club and saw an attractive lady at the entrance desk being denied access. He then proceed to tell the lounge dragon that she was his guest and got her into the lounge. After posting this story, he was upbraided by other posters for , i guess chauvinism or something. Will see if I can find the original post ...

iflyalexair Jan 2, 2018 11:22 am

I didn't realize that there were paper (or the equivalent) club passes for Delta Skyclubs...

aquamarinesteph Jan 2, 2018 11:40 am

That's a lovely story! Thank you for sharing. :-) It's good to be reminded that there is still kindness in the world.

xliioper Jan 2, 2018 11:51 am

Originally Posted by iflyalexair (Post 29240487)
I didn't realize that there were paper (or the equivalent) club passes for Delta Skyclubs...

You can still get Single Visit paper passes via the SkyBonus program. You can find old "Day Passes" for sale on Ebay, but I'd be more than a little suspect about these as DL has not sold them in several years.

MSPeconomist Jan 2, 2018 12:30 pm

I was wondering about whether DL still sold day passes through GroupOn and whether there would be some old ones out there that hadn't yet expired.

skchin Jan 2, 2018 12:31 pm

About 10 years ago, I saw someone pay for a total stranger's ticket at the DL counter after hearing about his death in the family and could not afford the full fare to attend the funeral.

wxman22 Jan 2, 2018 12:36 pm

Americans are the most generous people in the world.

nlkm9 Jan 2, 2018 12:44 pm

so nice!!!

ijgordon Jan 2, 2018 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by skchin (Post 29240787)
About 10 years ago, I saw someone pay for a total stranger's ticket at the DL counter after hearing about his death in the family and could not afford the full fare to attend the funeral.

I feel like there was something similar, with a video or at least a pic on FaceBook/YouTube in the past year.

MSPeconomist Jan 2, 2018 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 29240897)
I feel like there was something similar, with a video or at least a pic on FaceBook/YouTube in the past year.

When I hear such stories, my first thought is to wonder whether it's a scam. [This is NOT a comment about the OP's case, but about the ploy to get a stranger to buy a plane ticket for someone else in an "emergency."]

BRITINJAPAN3 Jan 2, 2018 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by wxman22 (Post 29240820)
Americans are the most generous people in the world.

And you evidence of this is...? I would accept among, but certainly not the most

rrohio Jan 2, 2018 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29240780)
I was wondering about whether DL still sold day passes through GroupOn and whether there would be some old ones out there that hadn't yet expired.

I still have one of the Groupon ones I keep with me incase. It has NO expiration date. I used 1 last year with no problem

Admiral Ackbar Jan 2, 2018 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3 (Post 29242201)
And you evidence of this is...? I would accept among, but certainly not the most

America #1 brah. The Kool-Aid...

Anyhow, lovely gesture I agree. Stunned as well paper coupons still exist.

ijgordon Jan 2, 2018 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29241510)
When I hear such stories, my first thought is to wonder whether it's a scam. [This is NOT a comment about the OP's case, but about the ploy to get a stranger to buy a plane ticket for someone else in an "emergency."]

Well that's pretty cynical of you. :p
I'd imagine that the odds of success are sufficiently low to make it one of the more unproductive scams out there.