Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2019 strategy - GM w/ Delta AmEx Platinium vs no status w/AmEx Platinum?

Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, B6, SPG

Hi all. So here's my situation: I used to fly a fair amount for work, but the last couple of years I'm in a different role, so most of my flying is for leisure. Since the role change I have been maintaining GM status with the delta amex $25k waiver and the 10k MQM bonus. I fly about 40-60k miles per year in economy (so because of the variance some years I have a large rollover and other years I really need the 10k mqm bonus to maintain GM). Last year I finally burned up most of my Skymiles (2 pax RT BOS-SYD in J - nice!), so I'm looking at a clean slate for 2019.

Also I got the Chase Sapphire Reserve when it was first introduced, so its been motivating me to look around at other airlines.

As I see it, here are my options:
1. Do the same thing as before - keep relying on the 25k waiver and 10k bonus to hit GM. I've had reasonably good luck using the companion cert, so between that and the bonus MQMs I'm reasonably happy with the card's benefits. The benefit from GM status is more questionable: the main benefit I get from GM status is SkyPriority and lounge access on intl itineraries - I don't do enough domestic flying anymore to really benefit from priority phone support, SDC or upgrade opportunities.
2. Drop the Delta Platinum AmEx; pick up the Platinum AmEx. This will still get me Skyclub access when flying Delta (and even on domestic flights, which is nice), but I don't think I'll be able to hit the MQD minimums, so I'll lose SkyPriority. I think this is mostly just loss of slightly earlier boarding (I have TSA Pre for security lines). But on the other hand I'll then have AmEx reward points and Chase UR points (from the CSR) which seems better from a flexibility point of view.
3. Drop the Delta Platinum AmEx; concentrate on Chase UR points. Just simplify all my earning down to one card - maybe credit my DL flights to SkyPASS or FlyingBlue since they're xfer partners for UR.

I guess the main thing that's holding me back is that I really do prefer Delta service - the handful of times I've flown other domestic airlines (UA, VX, B6 in recent times) it just felt like a much more chaotic experience. So if my biases will drive me to keep buying Delta tickets maybe it makes sense to keep going for Delta status still.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:36 am

Exactly my dilemma!

Not sure I'm going to be much help, but when I read this I thought to myself that is exactly my dilemma. Have been Diamond/Platinum the last 5 years, and again Platinum for 2018 but with only 10K rollover miles. So with the 10K rollover and 20K MQM from the Amex Platinum card for '18, I'm at 30K. My business travel will be greatly reduced this year, and my company is forcing more folks to lower cost options, so I don't expect more than 15K MQM on business travel. Leisure travel will be one trip to Europe so that is 8K MQM. So if it all comes together, I can make GM for 2019 by a hair.

I have also been thinking of just dumping the Delta Amex for the Chase Sapphire reserve which I also carry. It's a 50K spend requirement on the Amex to hit the 20K MQM, which is $750 in travel credit if I use them with Chase. I save the $195 annual fee, but lose the companion cert which I do use, and at least 70K in non MQM miles (50K spend miles and 20K bonus miles). So for now, that still seems to outweigh switchin all spending to Chase.

So my plan for 2018 is to split my spending and put just enough dollars on the Amex card to hit the 20K MQM's and make GM for 2019 year. Then put everything else on the Chase card. Another factor for me is I'm at 850K million miler miles, so hitting 1M would be nice to be at least a silver for life, so it still make sense to fly Delta for a while. Anyway, not sure there is a perfect answer and I am also interested in other perspectives on this. And I pay all my credit card charges off every month so interest rate fluctuation doesn't matter. Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Gewurztraminer
Hi all. So here's my situation: I used to fly a fair amount for work, but the last couple of years I'm in a different role, so most of my flying is for leisure. Since the role change I have been maintaining GM status with the delta amex $25k waiver and the 10k MQM bonus. I fly about 40-60k miles per year in economy (so because of the variance some years I have a large rollover and other years I really need the 10k mqm bonus to maintain GM). Last year I finally burned up most of my Skymiles (2 pax RT BOS-SYD in J - nice!), so I'm looking at a clean slate for 2019.

Also I got the Chase Sapphire Reserve when it was first introduced, so its been motivating me to look around at other airlines.

1. Do the same thing as before - keep relying on the 25k waiver and 10k bonus to hit GM. I've had reasonably good luck using the companion cert, so between that and the bonus MQMs I'm reasonably happy with the card's benefits. The benefit from GM status is more questionable: the main benefit I get from GM status is SkyPriority and lounge access on intl itineraries - I don't do enough domestic flying anymore to really benefit from priority phone support, SDC or upgrade opportunities.
2. Drop the Delta Platinum AmEx; pick up the Platinum AmEx. This will still get me Skyclub access when flying Delta (and even on domestic flights, which is nice), but I don't think I'll be able to hit the MQD minimums, so I'll lose SkyPriority. I think this is mostly just loss of slightly earlier boarding (I have TSA Pre for security lines). But on the other hand I'll then have AmEx reward points and Chase UR points (from the CSR) which seems better from a flexibility point of view.
3. Drop the Delta Platinum AmEx; concentrate on Chase UR points. Just simplify all my earning down to one card - maybe credit my DL flights to SkyPASS or FlyingBlue since they're xfer partners for UR.

I guess the main thing that's holding me back is that I really do prefer Delta service - the handful of times I've flown other domestic airlines (UA, VX, B6 in recent times) it just felt like a much more chaotic experience. So if my biases will drive me to keep buying Delta tickets maybe it makes sense to keep going for Delta status still.

Any thoughts?
Maybe the Delta Reserve Amex? Keeps your sky club access, MQD waiver and 15/30K MQM bonus with spending with annual $30/60k.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:56 am
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by OroroT
Maybe the Delta Reserve Amex? Keeps your sky club access, MQD waiver and 15/30K MQM bonus with spending with annual $30/60k.
This. Get the Delta Amex Reserve. It gives you many of the benefits of AMEX Plat, is a little cheaper and if you can hit 60K and spend then you'll get 30K MQM, which should get you to Gold. No status would be difficult as you lose access to premium seating.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by BlueStreak17
This. Get the Delta Amex Reserve. It gives you many of the benefits of AMEX Plat, is a little cheaper and if you can hit 60K and spend then you'll get 30K MQM, which should get you to Gold. No status would be difficult as you lose access to premium seating.
I would join in this opinion. The reserve card also comes with a first class companion certificate, which sometimes works out to be a pretty good deal. You could upgrade your current Delta Platinum card to ensure that you will get the certificate on your anniversary date. (If you were to open a new account, you wouldn't get the certificate until your 1st anniversary). Reserve is also a factor in upgrade priority, but that's probably negligible in the grand scheme of things.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I would join in this opinion. The reserve card also comes with a first class companion certificate, which sometimes works out to be a pretty good deal. You could upgrade your current Delta Platinum card to ensure that you will get the certificate on your anniversary date. (If you were to open a new account, you wouldn't get the certificate until your 1st anniversary). Reserve is also a factor in upgrade priority, but that's probably negligible in the grand scheme of things.
If I understand right, you don't get any of the new card-holder sign-up bonuses if you upgrade the card, as opposed to starting a fresh account. If the OP has never had the DL Reserve card, s/he would be eligible for the bonus. You can also cancel the old card within 30 days of the annual fee (but don't use the card) and the BOGO certs should stick. Something for the OP to weigh anyhow, if going the Reserve route.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
If I understand right, you don't get any of the new card-holder sign-up bonuses if you upgrade the card, as opposed to starting a fresh account. If the OP has never had the DL Reserve card, s/he would be eligible for the bonus. You can also cancel the old card within 30 days of the annual fee (but don't use the card) and the BOGO certs should stick. Something for the OP to weigh anyhow, if going the Reserve route.
That's 100% correct. Although, the reserve sign up bonuses haven't been that impressive. 10k RDMs/MQMs for example, especially compared to the sign up offers for the Platinum. I move through the products throughout the year to maximize bonuses, and I am often surprised with a 5k MQM upgrade offer.

The certificates definitely stick even after closing the account.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Literally the same dilemma I am in... do I go with the annual MQM bonuses to boost status or the 5x points on flights + general travel perks with AMEX platinum?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Literally the same dilemma I am in... do I go with the annual MQM bonuses to boost status or the 5x points on flights + general travel perks with AMEX platinum?
Was thinking about switching to this card from the DL Reserve. But after extensive reading, I'm staying with the Reserve card. MQMs are important for me, and the addition of the Centurion Lounges didn't make sense. So many reviews say they are really overcrowded, and the SkyClub at my base in SFO is really nice, and not crowded most of the time.
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Gewurztraminer

Any thoughts?
Your thoughts on 2 has been my life for the last 15 years, except only FO. (But that got me exit row seating at booking which is still better than C+).
I had GE and PreCk
The Plat Amex gives you Delta Clubs, plus PP which I used extensively overseas.
Amex also give you the $200 reimb for bags, drinks, etc. So why ever choose C+?
The big loss is SP on Intl flights, especially on the partners who treat you like trash as a FO, but if you have no options, Silver and Amex Pl is a good solution.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I personally have both the Delta Platinum and the Amex Platinum. I spend to $50K on the DL card then switch to the Amex for the rest of the year. I am less and less satisfied with this option, especially as I seem to flying much less than I used to. I appreciate having GM status, but with FCM, I have been thinking about dropping the DL card and just paying for C+ or, on longer flights, F (but generally can't afford to pay for J).

As Sky Miles continue to be devalued, I am wishing I had more flexibility with redemption. I have 400K miles sitting there which I intend to use for 2 J tickets when I can find the right pricing. But I do think that I might just be happier with MR points that I can spend across many airlines, especially now that I am only flying 5 or 6 flights a year now (however, 2 of them international, so lounge access is an issue, and Priority Pass lounges are not great).

Thoughts?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BlueStreak17
I generally like the Reserve card, but where I see a big difference versus the regular AmEx Plat charge card is customer service. Most calls from Reserve cardholders are now sent to overseas call centers and I've been having horrible experiences with them. For instance, they claim (including "supervisors") to be unable to see the difference between a pending charge and an actual charge that has posted.

OP and others here should remember that there's still a FO level with half the MQD requirement as GM. FOs get some benefits, such as special lines at some airports and rollover.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I generally like the Reserve card, but where I see a big difference versus the regular AmEx Plat charge card is customer service. Most calls from Reserve cardholders are now sent to overseas call centers and I've been having horrible experiences with them. For instance, they claim (including "supervisors") to be unable to see the difference between a pending charge and an actual charge that has posted.

OP and others here should remember that there's still a FO level with half the MQD requirement as GM. FOs get some benefits, such as special lines at some airports and rollover.
I've had pretty good success with the online chat help with the Amex Reserve card.

Can somebody tell me what an "FO" is? Enough acronyms in these forums to put the military to shame.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
I've had pretty good success with the online chat help with the Amex Reserve card.

Can somebody tell me what an "FO" is? Enough acronyms in these forums to put the military to shame.
FO just means Silver Medallion. I'm not sure in regards to the origins of the acronym.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tkelsay
FO just means Silver Medallion. I'm not sure in regards to the origins of the acronym.
There are two versions of the story: Flies Often and Flying Orchid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.