FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   A350 Upsell (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1885714-a350-upsell.html)

vincentharris Jan 1, 2018 7:55 pm

A350 Upsell

Trying to decide if DTW-PEK-DTW is worth the upgrade to Premium Select from Main Cabin for $299/each way

Thoughts? Opinions?

(Got the regular main cabin flight dirt cheap and the upgrade cost still prices Premium Select (with original fare and upgrade costs) less than 25% of how much Premium Select would have cost if purchased outright.

pvn Jan 1, 2018 8:07 pm

Don't forget to consider the 50% MQM bonus when deciding.

sbm12 Jan 1, 2018 8:15 pm

I would almost always pay $300 o/w for that upgrade, though it does depend on what the initial fare was.

My notes/photos from the inaugural DL A350 flight are here. The extra space and improved catering are noticeable IMO.

CPMaverick Jan 1, 2018 8:36 pm

In a heartbeat. At least one-way. That is a long flight.

vincentharris Jan 2, 2018 4:51 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 29237993)
though it does depend on what the initial fare was.

My notes/photos from the inaugural DL A350 flight are here. The extra space and improved catering are noticeable IMO.

$450 R/T

LonghaulCommuter Jan 2, 2018 1:10 pm

That route recently had PS seats for under $700 RT total for Spring travel (until May). In that scenario, you could have changed your flight and upgraded to PS, paid the $400 penalty, and still received a refund for the difference (assuming that your economy fare was over $1100, which is typical for that route).

MSPeconomist Jan 2, 2018 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 29239073)
$450 R/T

I'd accept it if there were decent seats available to select in PS.

ARTraveler79 Jan 2, 2018 1:34 pm

I flew PS round trip between DTW and ICN. I found it a good product and worth the upgrade from regular economy. Better food, more space, generally more comfortable on a really long flight. I bought it at point of sale at about $390 more than economy ticket. So you're not getting the best deal, but certainly not the worst. You will get 150% MQM with PS. If you buy PS at booking you get First on the domestic legs. Not sure if that applies to an upsell.

Gig103 Jan 2, 2018 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 29237924)
Trying to decide if DTW-PEK-DTW is worth the upgrade to Premium Select from Main Cabin for $299/each way

Thoughts? Opinions?

(Got the regular main cabin flight dirt cheap and the upgrade cost still prices Premium Select (with original fare and upgrade costs) less than 25% of how much Premium Select would have cost if purchased outright.

Look at it as $21/hour for the comfort. Totally worth it in my opinion for that long of a nonstop flight.

jdrtravel Jan 2, 2018 3:48 pm

Is the $299 upgrade the offer that is appearing in your online reservation? You might want to do a new search and confirm that they are not selling PS seats for less than $1050 (your $450 fare + the upgrades in both directions). If they are selling it for less than that, you should be able to call in and be upgraded to PS for just the fare difference, without paying a change fee.

Personally I would pay anything within the realm of reasonable and affordable to not fly in coach on a flight of that length.

vincentharris Jan 2, 2018 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29241663)
Is the $299 upgrade the offer that is appearing in your online reservation? You might want to do a new search and confirm that they are not selling PS seats for less than $1050 (your $450 fare + the upgrades in both directions). If they are selling it for less than that, you should be able to call in and be upgraded to PS for just the fare difference, without paying a change fee.

Personally I would pay anything within the realm of reasonable and affordable to not fly in coach on a flight of that length.

So Premium Economy is currently pricing at $3k R/T for my flight and $8k R/T for Delta One so I think I got a good deal :)

MSPeconomist Jan 2, 2018 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 29241925)
So Premium Economy is currently pricing at $3k R/T for my flight and $8k R/T for Delta One so I think I got a good deal :)

When are you traveling? Could the $6000 RT PE fare reflect advance purchase or minimum stay requirements in the fare rules? I'm assuming that if DL is selling cheap upgrades, the cabin can't be very full. OTOH $8,000 RT for D1 isn't FULL C/J.

vincentharris Jan 2, 2018 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29241933)
When are you traveling? Could the $6000 RT PE fare reflect advance purchase or minimum stay requirements in the fare rules? I'm assuming that if DL is selling cheap upgrades, the cabin can't be very full. OTOH $8,000 RT for D1 isn't FULL C/J.

Typed it wrong originally it is $3k R/T in PE but yes I took the upgrade and I am the only person who selected a seat up there so far.

sethb Jan 2, 2018 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 29237993)
I would almost always pay $300 o/w for that upgrade, though it does depend on what the initial fare was.

Why? Would you be more likely to pay the same $300 for the same upgrade if the original seat cost were $100 or $1000? Either way, it's a sunk cost.

ZCY Jan 5, 2018 9:42 am

I have a similar situation - bought one way ticket AUS-DTW-PEK for 685 in main cabin (K). And when I was looking at my trip after checkout, it showed me the offer 'upgrade to PS for $314'.
So I paid the money and upgraded to PS. But at the same time, one-way PS is being sold for $2124.
My flight receipt still shows the class fare is K with an upgrade listed below. But in my online account, it shows me the class fare is P.
MY question is will I get bonus MQMs in this case?
Thank you.