2018 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Since I started flying Delta about 7-8 years ago, I've received exactly one operational upgrade to D1. That was January 2018 from NRT-PDX and it was both me and my wife on an award ticket. We were already seated in C+.

Its not a very fair data point as 95% of the time, if I'm on a flight with D1, I've already paid for it and am sitting up front anyway.
The thread is about domestic D1 upgrades (which are no longer op-up's). Comparing with international route op-up's is not really relevant to thread.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHXflier
I thought only RUCs and DMs were eligible to upgrade on this route? 70 of them on the same flight??
You are about 3 revisions behind. Delta opened domestic D1 to comp upgrades for all Medallions effective April, 2018. DM's had been eligible at one point, but then lost eligibility for comp upgrades on domestic D1 from July, 2015 until the recent policy change in April, 2018.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
When the Big D inaugurated its D1 route between DCA and LAX, I was attempting to upgrade using RUCs. On the inaugural DCA-LAX, I was #2 for 1 seat 45 minutes before departure when suddenly there were two no shows, and I got one of the upgrade seats. On the way back, I got upgraded at the gate as #2 for 3 seats. I've tried to upgrade with RUCs on four segments on this route since then and went 0 for 4; D1 was sold out days before departure; I was #1 on the UG list on each of the flights and all the reservation holders showed up. If I want to use RUCs on the LAX trips, I have to connect in ATL or MSP.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
As silver I got moved up to Delta One on DTW-MSP last month. The flight was a repo operated with an A330. So 1 for 1, as that was the only domestic flight I was on with a D1 cabin.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
As silver I got moved up to Delta One on DTW-MSP last month. The flight was a repo operated with an A330. So 1 for 1, as that was the only domestic flight I was on with a D1 cabin.
That's not really D1. Just an FC route with a D1 cabin equipment sub.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I've been upgraded three times on JFK-LAX and 2 of 3 was a Saturday and one a Monday holiday (memorial day). The memorial day upgrade was shortly after they introduced what was then BE on this route, I was upgraded as an FO. I think holidays and Saturdays can make a difference.
Looking at today, a Saturday between two holidays when travel is presumably lighter, for the JFK-LAX departures that haven't left yet, 4 have between 4 and 6 J seats available, and 2 (a 75S and a 763) are sold out in J. So basically the same pattern I see other days of the week.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by bennos
Looking at today, a Saturday between two holidays when travel is presumably lighter, for the JFK-LAX departures that haven't left yet, 4 have between 4 and 6 J seats available, and 2 (a 75S and a 763) are sold out in J. So basically the same pattern I see other days of the week.
Interesting numbers. I wonder what they'll be like after the first of the year when status resets and January/February are generally slower travel months during the year.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by JoelThomas
As FO:

F upgrades
1/1 DTW-GRR
7/4 BOS-DTW

C+ upgrades
3/4 MDW-MSP
3/4 MSP-JFK
3/12 MSP-MDW
7/1 DTW-BOS
7/4 DTW-AZO
9/29 MSP-DEN
10/2 DEN-DTW

Upgrade requested, didn't clear
7/1 AZO-DTW

Not upgrade eligible/not requested
3/4 JFK-DUB (exit row)
3/12 DUB-AMS (KLM operated), AMS-MSP (exit row)
4/5 outbound, 4/8 return AZO-DTW-MSP-AZO (E fare)
9/29 LAN-MSP (CR2)
10/2 DTW-LAN (CR2)
10/5 outbound, 10/7 return SBN-MSP-SBN (E fare)

Segments remaining for the year:
12/29 AZO-MSP-SLC-SFO
For the 12/29 legs:
AZO-MSP in coach on a CR2
MSP-SLC F upgrade at window
SLC-SFO C+ at about T-2.5 hours
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mattya9
Interesting numbers. I wonder what they'll be like after the first of the year when status resets and January/February are generally slower travel months during the year.
Looking forward to January and February!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Looking forward to January and February!
January was tough for upgrades for me last year, I think due to the overlap where DMs who didn't requalify not falling out of status until 1/31.

That said, had my last trip of the calendar year yesterday (finally hitting my MQDs on the last segment), and I did pretty well for the year.

As a DM for the full year, with a Reserve card:

Out of 121 eligible segments I was upgraded 103 times, or 85.124% of the time.

67 of the upgrades were either at the 5 day window or at least > 24 hours prior to departure
22 were comp upgrades at the gate
14 were RUCs (out of 17 tries)
6 of the RUCs cleared immediately, 8 cleared at the gate

Of the times that the upgrade went to the gate, UG list position not using RUC:
#1 16 times
#2 4 times
#3 2 times

When using an RUC
#1 5 times
#2 3 times

When I didn't clear
Not using RUC:
#1 6 times
#2 3 times
#3 4 times
#4 4 times
#5 1 time

Using RUC:
#1 2 times
#3 1 time

Was pulled up from the back after boarding 3 times (Battlefield upgrade).

Longest upgrade list was 70, EWR-ATL. Shortest was 3, SEA-PDX.
Largest number of available seats at the gate was 5 (twice), the smallest number was 0 (11 times, though I actually got the upgrade 2 of those times)

Most common routes:
PDX-SLC 10 times
SLC-PDX 10 times
SEA-PDX 9 times
PDX-SEA 9 times
PDX-ATL 6 times
ATL-PDX 6 times

I hadn't noticed the symmetry of that before. At first glance it would appear to be a bunch of round trips, but almost none of them are. It's more of an artifact of having to connect through a hub to go almost anywhere.

Confessions of a data junkie.....
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
January was tough for upgrades for me last year, I think due to the overlap where DMs who didn't requalify not falling out of status until 1/31.

That said, had my last trip of the calendar year yesterday (finally hitting my MQDs on the last segment), and I did pretty well for the year.

As a DM for the full year, with a Reserve card:

Out of 121 eligible segments I was upgraded 103 times, or 85.124% of the time.

67 of the upgrades were either at the 5 day window or at least > 24 hours prior to departure
22 were comp upgrades at the gate
14 were RUCs (out of 17 tries)
6 of the RUCs cleared immediately, 8 cleared at the gate

Of the times that the upgrade went to the gate, UG list position not using RUC:
#1 16 times
#2 4 times
#3 2 times

When using an RUC
#1 5 times
#2 3 times

When I didn't clear
Not using RUC:
#1 6 times
#2 3 times
#3 4 times
#4 4 times
#5 1 time

Using RUC:
#1 2 times
#3 1 time

Was pulled up from the back after boarding 3 times (Battlefield upgrade).

Longest upgrade list was 70, EWR-ATL. Shortest was 3, SEA-PDX.
Largest number of available seats at the gate was 5 (twice), the smallest number was 0 (11 times, though I actually got the upgrade 2 of those times)

Most common routes:
PDX-SLC 10 times
SLC-PDX 10 times
SEA-PDX 9 times
PDX-SEA 9 times
PDX-ATL 6 times
ATL-PDX 6 times

I hadn't noticed the symmetry of that before. At first glance it would appear to be a bunch of round trips, but almost none of them are. It's more of an artifact of having to connect through a hub to go almost anywhere.

Confessions of a data junkie.....
Those aren't bad stats!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Those aren't bad stats!
This is definitely not the sound of me complaining! I could nitpick and say that I *really really* wanted those other 3 certs to clear, but clearly I didn't die, so no harm, no foul!
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
They have D1 on that route? Really?
No. I didn't read the title very closely.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:35 am

Final update for 2018:
GM:
8/1 DL5977 DFW-LGA cleared to First T-72
8/2 DL3722 LGA-DFW cleared to First T-72

PM:
Monday evening DL5426 PWM to LGA cleared to First (+companion) T-120
Friday evening DL2918 JFK to ATL cleared to First (+companion) T-120
Friday evening ATL to EWR cleared to First at gate
Saturday evening LGA to FLL cleared to First at gate
Thursday morning LGA to GSP cleared to First T-120
Thursday evening ATL to GSP cleared to First T-120
Thursday evening JFK to FRA op-uped to D1 at the gate along with companion (pretty nice way to end the year!)
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
I was about 75% for upgrades to F in 2018. I did far better to/thru ATL than expected, reading all the stories here about DMs "in the back of the bus" out of ATL. Only one close call for C+, ATL to JAN, upgraded at gate. I suppose this was because of the Alcorn/Jackson State football game. Getting to Jackson must really be fun the week of the Egg Bowl.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.