Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Out of a handful of JFK-SFO-JFK trips as a DM I have been upgraded exactly once, from SFO-JFK on a Friday I believe. Normally I am far from the first on the UG list (I am usually in a cheaper coach fare due to booking comparitavely far out) and there is 0 or 1 seat available anyway.

I would not count on it, especially not during the weekday.

On the other hand, I’ve been wildly successful using RUCs on the route, which has been where almost all of them went this year (3/4, the other on SEA-JFK in a 739).
mattya9 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
My best as a Diamond is 9/70. Admittedly haven’t flown that route on a weekend though.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
1/1 upgrading JFK-BUF as FO.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
In D1? Must be one of those stealth routes.
mattya9 and Weekend Away like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by loratliff
My best as a Diamond is 9/70. Admittedly haven’t flown that route on a weekend though.
That’s actually a lot higher of an percentage than I thought. Glad to hear they’re available tho even during the week. You fly cross country a lot too!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by mattya9

That’s actually a lot higher of an percentage than I thought. Glad to hear they’re available tho even during the week. You fly cross country a lot too!
I read that as saying that he was #9 out of 70 on the UG list
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
10/3, 8:30ish a.m. flight from JFK to LAX, per the GA they were clearing all DM, PM and about half of the GM. . I had already cleared my RUC plus I sat behind Kathy Bates on the flight. She was awesome and I was watching the Blindside and told her how good she was in it. One of my more memorable flights to say the least.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by mattya9
Any Saturday travel in those 10+ trips?
Saturday travel isn't necessarily better, as capacity is typically reduced to match demand.

That said, IME at various times these flights tend to go to the gate with 0 - 6 seats open. (Obviously there are some oddball exceptions where half the cabin is open.) It's impossible to tell these days where the upgrade list line ends between RUC and complimentary, or even if RUCs are processed correctly. As a DM, I expect to sit in the back if not confirmed up front at booking, and am rarely disappointed.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL
I’ve built tools for trying to calculate RUC/DoD D1 odds — trying to guess which flight will go out empty is too taxing. I’ve had luck with finding good empty flights i.e. the 767-400 that flies SFO-JFK occasionally, although that thing can fill up easily.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I am DM and fly JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX frequently. I’m a little under 25% for complimentary upgrades. I never use RUCs as I don’t take them as a choice benefit. For personal travel I just buy D1 on these routes, but can’t come close to justifying going out of pocket for the ~15 business trips I do a year to these cities.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I read that as saying that he was #9 out of 70 on the UG list
Yep, you read correctly. I’ve been slightly luckier with RUCs, but even the last time I applied one, I was 3/64 or something. (I think I was behind a couple that had obviously called them in before me.)
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by loratliff
Yep, you read correctly. I’ve been slightly luckier with RUCs, but even the last time I applied one, I was 3/64 or something. (I think I was behind a couple that had obviously called them in before me.)
I thought only RUCs and DMs were eligible to upgrade on this route? 70 of them on the same flight??
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bennos
Saturday travel isn't necessarily better, as capacity is typically reduced to match demand..

I've been upgraded three times on JFK-LAX and 2 of 3 was a Saturday and one a Monday holiday (memorial day). The memorial day upgrade was shortly after they introduced what was then BE on this route, I was upgraded as an FO. I think holidays and Saturdays can make a difference.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Since I started flying Delta about 7-8 years ago, I've received exactly one operational upgrade to D1. That was January 2018 from NRT-PDX and it was both me and my wife on an award ticket. We were already seated in C+.

Its not a very fair data point as 95% of the time, if I'm on a flight with D1, I've already paid for it and am sitting up front anyway.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
They have D1 on that route? Really?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.