Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm doing significantly better in 2018 (DM) than I did in 2017 (PM). At this point then I was 1/8 and now I'm 7/8.

MKE>MSP 1/27 At Window
MSP>RSW 1/27 At Window
FLL>MSP 2/9 At Window
MSP>MSN 2/9 No Upgrade
MSN>MSP 2/17 At Window
MSP>BWI 2/17 At Window (pushed out with 1st 1/2 full)
BWI>DTW 2/22 At Window
DTW>MKE 2/22 3 Days ahead
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
You're not fighting the start of a big convention, which is good. There are the usual 11 flights a day ATL-MSY and a fair amount of 'rush hour' traffic late afternoon to early evening. Lot's of SDC's on and off those flights. Probably won't clear until the gate. My wife and I cleared this afternoon for next Tuesday MSY-LGA, V T fares, late afternoon. We'll be at the Sky Club from about 3:30 - 4:45. Maybe a bit earlier since the food at the club is better than the food on the plane.

We're buying more FCM and flying a little less this year. An economic analysis showed that it was worth it for me to keep DM so I have some AM flights booked for MQD runs. We have 3 TATL planned, all in J
24 hours out, I was #1 of 3 FC slots. Around 12 hours out #2 then eventually #3 for ATL-MSY on the 757 this morning that showed no slots in FC.

#1 and #2 were upgraded just prior to boarding. I boarded and took my C+ seat but the GA came on board just prior to take-off and moved me to FC. I watched the numbers in EF and was confused by all the changes in FC then 3 non-shows.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
2/20 DTW-DCA, upgraded at window. At gate there were 42 people on upgrade list for 3 seats.

2/19 ORD-DTW, upgraded at boarding. At gate there were I think 12 people on upgrade list for 2 seats.

2/19 SEA-ORD, on a paid F. At gate there were I think 20 people on upgrade list for 4 seats.

2/18 HNL-SEA, on a paid F. At gate there were 9 people for 10 seats. Flight departed with 1 empty seat.

2/10 LAX-HNL, on a paid F. At gate there were 12 people for 3 seats.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Xeno
I boarded and took my C+ seat but the GA came on board just prior to take-off and moved me to FC.
This happened twice to me in 2017. While it's the way it is supposed to work there actually seems to be more reports of seats either going out empty or gatehouse agents upgrading someone else.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
After missing JFK SAN lie flat using a RUC (moved from 20 to #4 for one seat) and JFK AUS (#4 for 0 seats) hit a good streak:

AUS DTW cleared at gate
DTW CMH finished #4 for 5 seats
CMH LGA was #1 out of 5 for 6 seats
LGA YOW cleared 5 days out. Only one person was on UG list, FC went out with 2 empty seats.

And for good measure, got a check in upgrade as a UA Silver on YOW EWR. There’s still 8 open FC seats and no one on the UG list
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Xeno
24 hours out, I was #1 of 3 FC slots. Around 12 hours out #2 then eventually #3 for ATL-MSY on the 757 this morning that showed no slots in FC.

#1 and #2 were upgraded just prior to boarding. I boarded and took my C+ seat but the GA came on board just prior to take-off and moved me to FC. I watched the numbers in EF and was confused by all the changes in FC then 3 non-shows.
Glad you got it. It's a strange route. Lots of SDC/SDS loads depend on conventions and events so it becomes almost impossible to predict.
We got our UG's today for Sunday LGA-MSY.
Also, the GA came on board and moved someone up on today's MSY-LGA. She had been #6 for 4 when boarding started.
Xeno likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:32 pm

SEA-BOS 2x at window (1 into FC)
SEA-SJC no
SJC-SEA at window
SAN-SEA at window
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:54 am

There is a very noticeable decline in upgrade availability in 2018. One leg of my current weekly route, CLT-ATL, consistently is full in 1st, and I find myself far down the upgrade list. On such a short and small flight, this is very unusual. I am Diamond and used to get upgraded 20-30% of the time. Now, I don't hold my breath.

In addition, redeeming miles for Business on long haul flights is ridiculously expensive...350k+. What the hell? I've been Diamond every year since they introduced the status level in 2010, and I think this may be the last year that I bother getting Delta status. What's the point of getting the miles and status if they gouge you on redemption? The dangling carrot is turning rotten.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:19 am
Suspended

IAD-DTW
24 February
CRJ-700
4 on the upgrade list for 1 first-class seat
Plane went out with 8 comfort-plus seats empty.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:35 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
JFK - DCA 2/1 - Ceared at the Window. Travel companion cleared at the Gold window

DCA-ATL 3/2 - Cleared at the window

ATL-FLL 3/2 - Not looking good, 7 seats available but no one cleared at the window last night .
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:50 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
MSN-DTW 2/19 - Rebooked to this flight due to waiver, finished #2 for 0. Received last C+ "upgrade" at gate
DTW-SFO 2/20 - Cleared at window
SFO-DTW 2/24 - Waitlisted RUC several weeks ago, finished #2 for 0. F was "sold out" for several days before flight. Sat in C+ seat reserved at booking
DTW-MSN 2/24 - Cleared at window

Sitting 2/5 (40%) on non-WFBF flights this year and 0/1 on RUC use.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SDQBound
JFK - DCA 2/1 - Ceared at the Window. Travel companion cleared at the Gold window

DCA-ATL 3/2 - Cleared at the window

ATL-FLL 3/2 - Not looking good, 7 seats available but no one cleared at the window last night .
What time are you flying out of DCA on Friday? I’m flying into DCA around 1:30 on Friday.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

What time are you flying out of DCA on Friday? I’m flying into DCA around 1:30 on Friday.
I'm not in this conversation but am flying out of DCA on the direct to MSN @ 15:10 on Friday. If anyone wants to hang out in the (temporarily) sh*tty SkyClub before, let me know. I had a really rude guy there last week block me checking and then then try to order a drink in front of me at the bar -- and this was an employee! But it looks like the improvements will be done soon and I can't wait.

I'm 3/3 again this week on a K fare MSN>DTW>BWI both cleared at window for 2/25 (Sun) and DCA>MSN cleared at window for 3/2 (Fri). I'm really stunned by my UG improvement odds as DM, although my tendency to get booked into K or M fares helps I suppose.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

Originally Posted by bergamini
I'm not in this conversation but am flying out of DCA on the direct to MSN @ 15:10 on Friday. If anyone wants to hang out in the (temporarily) sh*tty SkyClub before, let me know. I had a really rude guy there last week block me checking and then then try to order a drink in front of me at the bar -- and this was an employee! But it looks like the improvements will be done soon and I can't wait.
I'm flying out at 7:00 PM
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bergamini

I'm 3/3 again this week on a K fare MSN>DTW>BWI both cleared at window for 2/25 (Sun) and DCA>MSN cleared at window for 3/2 (Fri). I'm really stunned by my UG improvement odds as DM, although my tendency to get booked into K or M fares helps I suppose.
DCA-MSN nonstop?? The Paul Ryan Express?? I actually thought you had mis-typed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.