2018 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
My nemesis route today: DL 1803 the 11:07 AM ATL-RDU flight. As a PM on a U Fare on the MD-88 I was #18 of 46. Ended up with a middle in C+

Currently 59.18% (29/49)
Wow!!!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
My nemesis route today: DL 1803 the 11:07 AM ATL-RDU flight. As a PM on a U Fare on the MD-88 I was #18 of 46. Ended up with a middle in C+

Currently 59.18% (29/49)
Tough days...It just gets worse from now on.

Even on AA where it is easier to get upgraded since not everyone likes to burn electronic upgrade certificates, today there was a list of 15+ on a MIA-SDQ flight.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
MCO-ATL cleared at DM window

LAX-MCO had 14 out of 24 F empties at DM window. No one cleared. Finally at T-26 hours, 3 people (including me) cleared.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pvn
I've seen a lot of upgrades at these weird times, T-24 hours, T-6 hours, etc.

It seems weird to not let these go to the gate. My suspicion is that Delta is doing this so that it appears that fewer people are getting upgrades, which makes FCM seem more attractive.
Just noticed the same weird timing upgrade.

Upgraded to C+ at GM window (T-72), then subsequently to F at T-54.

Don't get me wrong, no complaints, just didn't expect it. Normally if I don't get it at the window, then I just don't get it, or maybe at the gate. So I was pleasantly surprised this morning.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:11 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
11/29 DL 1564 MD-88 PM on a V Fare: #16 of 34

Now 58.00% (29/50)
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
LAS - SEA on 717, #6 of 12 after 2 cleared. C+ cleared at booking and went out with empty seats (including in my row)

SEA - RDU, A319, paid for the upgrade. May have cleared anyway but will never know. Flight went out over half empty with a ton of empty seats in C+ (only 1 F cleared at gate but who knows if any cleared at windows) so not sure it was worth the upgrade (at least it bumped up to C so got the bonus MQMs to add to the 2019 rollover).
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Last 4 flights not cleared to first as Diamond. On FLL to ATL I was #10 on upgrade list. They're just selling all the seats. RT to ATL-SFO nobody cleared.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Flying during thanksgiving week was fun as a SM.

LGA-ATL cleared C+ at the gate
ATL-BOG cleared F at check in
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:45 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by davidviolin
Last 4 flights not cleared to first as Diamond. On FLL to ATL I was #10 on upgrade list. They're just selling all the seats. RT to ATL-SFO nobody cleared.
nobody ever clears on ATL-SFO. I've flown that route 1000 times and the only way I've ever cleared on it is to find confirmable RUC space elsewhere (usually MSP-SFO) and then do a SDC.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by pvn
nobody ever clears on ATL-SFO. I've flown that route 1000 times and the only way I've ever cleared on it is to find confirmable RUC space elsewhere (usually MSP-SFO) and then do a SDC.
That's a bit of an extreme statement.. and is it demonstrably false. I fly ATL-SFO regularly and it is not uncommon for at least a couple people to clear at the gate. Even I, a lowly non-360 DM, have cleared ATL-SFO before (on a redeye back to ATL). Flights like ATL-SJC are a much harder upgrade than ATL-SFO (for fun I have started to apply RUCs every time I book ATL-SJC - I am 0/7 for RUCs clearing on it).
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tonyrocks922
Flying during thanksgiving week was fun as a SM.

LGA-ATL cleared C+ at the gate
ATL-BOG cleared F at check in
Lucky! I've seen a couple of ATL-BOG with zero seats and 20 waiting for upgrades.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
LAX-SEA, flying on a corporate discount L fare purchased thru Concur ... cleared C+ shortly after booking (7 days out), and got the “Enjoy Your Upgraded Seat” email at T-119:35
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Tale of reverse fortunes

Tuesday: DCA-ATL-BMI, ended up as #1 5 for DCA-ATL, cleared ATL-BMI 5 days in advance

Thursday: BMI-ATL-LGA, BMI-ATL was #4/28(???) for 3 seats, was #1 out of 40 on the last ATL-LGA flight of the night
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
[QUOTE=ethernal;30485734]That's a bit of an extreme statement.. and is it demonstrably false. I fly ATL-SFO regularly and it is not uncommon for at least a couple people to clear at the gate. Even I, a lowly non-360 DM, have cleared ATL-SFO before (on a redeye back to ATL). Flights like ATL-SJC are a much harder upgrade than ATL-SFO (for fun I have started to apply RUCs every time I book ATL-SJC - I am 0/7 for RUCs clea

I've cleared ATL/SFO before as a non-360 DM on a T fare.and a couple others below me on the upgrade list also cleared.

I would have figured SJC would be an easy upgrade (I didn't even know they had an ATL/SJC route). If you can find inventory for an RUC on ATL/SFO why not just use the RUC on that route then do a SDC into San Jose using the co-terminal DM benefit?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I've cleared ATL/SFO before as a non-360 DM on a T fare.and a couple others below me on the upgrade list also cleared.

I would have figured SJC would be an easy upgrade (I didn't even know they had an ATL/SJC route). If you can find inventory for an RUC on ATL/SFO why not just use the RUC on that route then do a SDC into San Jose using the co-terminal DM benefit?
Why would you think SJC would be an easy upgrade? It is a low cost hub (Southwest, and to a lesser extent Alaska, dominate the airport) so cost conscious flyers will usually end up on WN or AS meaning that you're left with a plane full of high spending elites. Upgrade list on a Monday AM flight is usually around 80-100 people on a 738/739 with 0 or 1 seats available.

In terms of your proposed RUC strategy - there are reasons I don't do that - one is that I book only a week or two in advance at most which means that there is never any RUC inventory to begin with (either SFO or SJC) - and second that is a dangerous game. The SJC flights I take go to the gate with 0 seats available at least three-quarters of the time - so a SDC would be impossible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.