Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL already downgrading the A-350 DTW-AMS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Medialia Platina

Please tell me this is more of Delta's best-in-klass IT and not a permanent downgrade.

Delta's webpage talking all about the A-350 says that they are inaugurating service 359 service DTW-AMS on 3/24/18. I'd been looking at a flight DTW-AMS in mid-April to try out both the 359 and DL PE. Now both DL and Matrix are saying that that route in mid-April has been downgraded to a 333. Until yesterday (Dec 30), the 359 was scheduled for this route, and there were fares published for it. Now both are gone, and a dummy booking for March 29 is showing 3 333's on that route but 0 359's.

Is DL delaying the start of 359 service on this route, or just scrapping it altogether?

Granted I was always a bit surprised that DL would use a 359 on DTW-AMS (given all of the other routes they fly it on are much, much longer), but I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Maybe I should have...
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Here's the relevant image from https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/airports-and-aircraft/Aircraft/a350-cabin.html

Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
The A350 service has always been scheduled to commence on 3/31/2018 for the DTW-AMS route and its still there from 3/31-on. DL.dumb just has the wrong start date for the A350 on the DTW-AMS route.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Darn, we're doing DTW>AMS on March 20th so we will just miss the 350. Still, I'm pretty happy with D1 on the A330-300 that we will be flying.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:08 pm

Ok, is it just me? Would love to fly the A359 but it leaves too early, you get to AMS at around 11PM DTW time, hardly any good for a good nights sleep. I know I am old and can't stay up late but I found later flights are better and I like the 330. What am I missing?
edited: talking about delta one, i'll fly boeing back all day but love the lay flat seats in an airbus

Last edited by doublerriff; Dec 31, 2017 at 9:14 pm
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by doublerriff
Ok, is it just me? Would love to fly the A359 but it leaves too early, you get to AMS at around 11PM DTW time, hardly any good for a good nights sleep. I know I am old and can't stay up late but I found later flights are better and I like the 330. What am I missing?
edited: talking about delta one, i'll fly boeing back all day but love the lay flat seats in an airbus
In my opinion what time it is in DTW on DTW-AMS isn't relevant, I always try to get on my destination time as soon as possible.

If you can't stay up late (and presumably get up on the early side), I would think you'd prefer trying to sleep early and getting closer to AMS time on arrival?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: DL GM
This was actually my concern when I first thought about trying out the A350 this year. 3-5PM EST departures for Europe just aren't great for sleeping. I do a lot better with 8-1030PM departures, and I'm often connecting in AMS/CDG anyway, so the later arrival time generally isn't a big deal. I was debating whether it's worth it to try PE.

Keith
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
It’s not just you. I hate this too. I’ve flown TATL from the west coast a few times where it was the same way - a 2pm departure for a 9-10 hour flight that’s landing just as I’m actually getting tired based on the time zone I’m from. I much prefer a later departure where at least some of the flight occurs at a time where I’m tired based on the time zone I’m originating in.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
That DL 132 flight is great for Europeans, a 4:17 DTW departure time is a 22:17 CET departure. Add the 5:55AM CET arrival time and it's get even better.
To call Delta's A330 a downgrade, that's news to me. Nothing wrong with Delta's A330's fleet, one of my favourite planes.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Ive flown both and ill take the A330 ANYDAY over the new A350. I felt like I was in a cubicle. Service was poor and food was absolutely disgusting (plane type wont save you there). Delta nose dive continues.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Grouchy
That DL 132 flight is great for Europeans, a 4:17 DTW departure time is a 22:17 CET departure. Add the 5:55AM CET arrival time and it's get even better.
To call Delta's A330 a downgrade, that's news to me. Nothing wrong with Delta's A330's fleet, one of my favourite planes.
Arrival times in AMS -- if I'm connecting onward, then the earlier the better. But if I'm staying in AMS, I'd prefer DL 136 and 138, arriving after 10:00 am. I really don't want to pay for an extra night in AMS to be able to get in to my hotel or airbnb early and shower and rest a bit. And since you can't use the Crown Lounge as an arrivals lounge.... has anyone been able to use Priority Pass for the Aspire lounge as an arrivals lounge?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Must have been Delta's Kwality IT

The 359 routing for the flight I was looking at is now back up on dl.dumb. Must have been a New Year's Eve day glitch. <shocked>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.