Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lights Stuck On

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
The switch is not a MEL, it is not a flight safety issue and thus no reason to delay the flight for repairs. Delaying maintenance to the next downtime for the aircraft, especially a major hub, is common for these sorts of minor faults which need not be operational.

Offloading oneself is absolutely crazy, but people do crazy things all the time and carriers accoomodate them because it is better to deal with on the ground than with somebody who goes off the rails at FL35.

All electrical systems can be shut down in an emergency. The cockpit has circuit breaker access for just that. But, this was not an emergency.
Most likely no one in the decision loop recognizes the reason FA turn off lights during takeoff and landing. In their view the lights worked and no need to think further.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by audidudi
If it were a safety issue, then the captain would have made the decision, in conjunction with the dispatcher, to have returned to the gate before take-off. Obviously it wasn't a safety issue!
Well captains have made bad decisions throughout the history of flight. What makes you think pilots are perfect now?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:37 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I flew in Y on a KLM long-haul last year and the entire front section of Y had the lights stuck on the entire overnight flight.

I don’t think they gave us any miles or compensation.

I always carry a sleep mask but I Felt bad for everyone else.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta DM
I experienced this late last month flying Haneda to MSP, but they didn't realize it until about an hour in. It was also interesting that it only affected rows 10 and behind. I faintly remember them saying the only way to fix it was manually adjusting something in a part of the plane they couldn't get to. The Purser came by later and said it had happened a few weeks prior and they'd assured them it was fixed, apparently not.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Well captains have made bad decisions throughout the history of flight. What makes you think pilots are perfect now?
Did you read reply #13 ? Obviously NOT! It's not an MEL, so the flight was good to go. The captain may also not have known about the issue at all. Nobody said any bad decision was made except YOU! Get over it!
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
US regulations, unlike some other country's regulations, do not require the dimming of the cabin lights for night takeoffs or landings. If they did, the airplane would not have been flyable with the lights stuck on high.

The cabin lights are an MEL item. Any restrictions associated with operating with this failure would be listed. If the system could not be quickly disabled in an emergency through alternate means then it would not be deferable.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:48 am
Suspended

Did you read reply #13 ? Obviously NOT! It's not an MEL, so the flight was good to go. The captain may also not have known about the issue at all. Nobody said any bad decision was made except YOU! Get over it!
My goodness. You are quite excited over this and I'm not sure why.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite

My goodness. You are quite excited over this and I'm not sure why.
Maybe you should re-read your pathetic reply #6 again.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:58 am
Suspended

Maybe you should re-read your pathetic reply #6 again.
The decision to remove myself from the plane only affects me. You and anyone else are free to do whatever you like.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
"That's probably the most stupid reply I've ever read on here!"

"Offloading oneself is absolutely crazy "

"Get over it! "

"My goodness. You are quite excited over this and I'm not sure why."

"Maybe you should re-read your pathetic reply #6 again."

#whyFTmakesfunholiday reading
CPMaverick and LadyPhoenix like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I'm glad this was a highlight of your day.
LadyPhoenix likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
They can probably be turned off with a circuit breaker, but it may be in the cockpit or otherwise inconvenient to access.
That’s what I assumed (that they could be disabled via circuit breaker in the cockpit should it really be necessary).
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle

Agreed. I would have removed myself and asked to be accommodated on another flight.
Unfortunately the problem wasn’t announced until after pushback, so it would have required a gate return, etc. Whether they do that or not for you I suppose is based on how much of a stink one puts up and how much of a security risk the crew believes you pose once they get to cruising altitude.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

I also thought about the safety issue of needing to evacuate and eyes not being adjusted to proper lighting. Figured I’d blink a few times while jumping down the slide.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013

Unfortunately the problem wasn’t announced until after pushback, so it would have required a gate return, etc. Whether they do that or not for you I suppose is based on how much of a stink one puts up and how much of a security risk the crew believes you pose once they get to cruising altitude.

I think I would have asked to be let off and if not, would have absolutely written to the airline about a safety concern. During takeoff, my shoes are on and I am wearing clothing appropriate to outside. In winter at MSP that means I am wearing my coat. My window shade is always open and I count seconds from the time the throttles go up (should be rotating at 30-35 seconds). I'm ready to evacuate.

In August of 1985 I was in a near crash in a 727 when, during takeoff from Reno, both tires on the right side (727) blew and debris shut down engines #1 and #3 after V1. We stopped not far from the fence along Mill street. It was daytime, but ever since, I have been acutely aware of all my surroundings during takeoff. I don't want to be in a bright cabin evacuating at night.

Last edited by DesertNomad; Dec 31, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.