Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Verify Card Problem and Phone Support Can't answer

Old Dec 30, 17, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)

Delta flags 98% of my purchases and I am forced to show my card at the airport. Problem is my card went bad (Chip and Swipe) stopped working. BofA sent me a new card same number just different exp date and security code.

Do you think I'll have a problem? Phone support seemed clueless and Delta Twitter hasn't responded.
Old Dec 30, 17, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
Delta flags 98% of my purchases and I am forced to show my card at the airport. Problem is my card went bad (Chip and Swipe) stopped working. BofA sent me a new card same number just different exp date and security code.

Do you think I'll have a problem? Phone support seemed clueless and Delta Twitter hasn't responded.
I’m sure they can sort it out at the airport when you check in. I’d be more concerned as to why 98% of your purchases get flagged? Do you live in or fly the majority of your time to high credit card fraud areas?
Old Dec 30, 17, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013 View Post

I’m sure they can sort it out at the airport when you check in. I’d be more concerned as to why 98% of your purchases get flagged? Do you live in or fly the majority of your time to high credit card fraud areas?
It's the destination SDQ, but even though I have used the card for years on Delta they still flag it. Which is annoying as hell.
Old Dec 30, 17, 7:22 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I would have multiple cards as a backup.
What if you just buy DL gift cards and then use them for flights?

FYI - airport code > Las Américas International Airport is an international airport located in Punta Caucedo, near Santo Domingo and Boca Chica in the Dominican Republic
Old Dec 30, 17, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
I would have multiple cards as a backup.
What if you just buy DL gift cards and then use them for flights?

FYI - airport code > Las Américas International Airport is an international airport located in Punta Caucedo, near Santo Domingo and Boca Chica in the Dominican Republic
Never thought of the gift card route, sometimes I get around it by booking through expedia, but this trip was cheaper on Delta.com
Old Dec 30, 17, 8:23 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
It's the destination SDQ, but even though I have used the card for years on Delta they still flag it. Which is annoying as hell.
Gotcha. That explains it. Hear they verify cards often or perhaps all the time when SDQ is involved in the itinerary.
Old Dec 31, 17, 1:27 pm

Keep the old card. As a matter of fact, keep all old cards, never throw any away. From my experience, when they verify it, they just look at it, it doesn't have to be working.
Old Dec 31, 17, 2:28 pm
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
As long as you check in with a real agent and not at the kiosk, they never swipe the card, they just look at it and make sure it matches with the number they have in their system

FYI, this month I had 3 SDQ flights and only showed the card once, the agent validated all the reservations on my profile at once.

FYI2, Seems that when I pay with my French AMEX I am never flagged, but when I pay with the US or Dominican credit card, I'm 100% flagged.
Old Dec 31, 17, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
As long as you check in with a real agent and not at the kiosk, they never swipe the card, they just look at it and make sure it matches with the number they have in their system

FYI, this month I had 3 SDQ flights and only showed the card once, the agent validated all the reservations on my profile at once.

FYI2, Seems that when I pay with my French AMEX I am never flagged, but when I pay with the US or Dominican credit card, I'm 100% flagged.
Interesting the domestic Dominican card is flagged!
Old Dec 31, 17, 4:11 pm
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013 View Post

Interesting the domestic Dominican card is flagged!
Only when flying to an airport in the DR. I recently purchased a ticket US-MEX and it didn't ask me to present the CC
Old Jan 4, 18, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM),AS MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, DL Plat Medallion, MH Enrich Platinum
Traveling for too many years and never asked for credit card until today when tried to check in for my DL flight tomorrow ONT-SLC-AMS-NBO. Message said to swipe at airport for BP. Ticket was bought 18 Feb 2017 on my US Citi Prestige! Credit card account closed about 6 months ago after Citi changed benefits. Since today is disaster for airlines with storms will go to counter tomorrow morning.
Old Jan 5, 18, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM),AS MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, DL Plat Medallion, MH Enrich Platinum
Update-
Counter says standard verification for Africa. Time frame between purchase and flight no consideration. Showed my Citibank statement showing card closed. Went to supervisor as normal procedure is to credit back card charged (even if account closed) and re-charge same amount on new card. I thought that great as would charge on AMEX Plat and get 5x points but when supervisor returned he said screen deleted the requirement for the card. Did not know why and got my BP's ONT-SLC-AMS. Did not get my KQ BP as they said system will not provide if layover more than 6 hours! Went on line to KQ web site and checked in and got my BP!

I do not travel much on DL but this was quite interesting.
fti likes this.

Search this Thread