Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Beverages Comfort Plus

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
I'm the same way. Benadryl or similar OTC options leave me feeling like I'm in hibernation mode for hours after waking up. Just sluggish and totally out of it. Add in jet lag for a 12 hour time change and I'd be feeling it for days after. On my TPAC flights I'll usually just power through in the air and then whatever is left of the day on arrival in Asia and then get on a proper local sleep schedule. Haven't suffered from jet lag doing TPACs yet, luckily.

I actually love flying and can usually keep myself pretty occupied but I really do envy those who can just sleep the moment they get to their seat. I may doze off for a bit but can never really get comfortable. I also can't sleep on my back in my own bed at home, which is probably a reason I can't sleep on planes. I'm convinced my body would rather lay awake for eternity than ever let me sleep on my back.

If I was someone who got bored easily AND couldn't sleep, I would love flying far less.
I am with you. Flown Virgin's Upper Class on lie flat bed. Couldn't sleep. I actually look for shorter flights TATL. I am flying to MAD via JFK later this month, rather than a direct out of Miami or via ATL.
As far as drugs, they just make me tired, but not put me to sleep. Tired and awake on a flight sucks!
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
I am with you. Flown Virgin's Upper Class on lie flat bed. Couldn't sleep. I actually look for shorter flights TATL. I am flying to MAD via JFK later this month, rather than a direct out of Miami or via ATL.
As far as drugs, they just make me tired, but not put me to sleep. Tired and awake on a flight sucks!
I do the same. Unless I absolutely have to be somewhere in the quickest, most efficient manner possible, I would much rather break it up into shorter segments. Even if that means my total time in transit is much longer. I'm based out of FLL/MIA too and the 8-10 hour overnight directs to Europe are far tougher on me than any 12-15 hour TPAC has been because of how the timing works out.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Could not find a relevant Gleason quote.
He said it on one of the Jackie Gleason "live" shows from the Miami Beach Convention Center (I think they aired Saturday nights in the 1960s on the CBS network). My father used to tell it to people all the time when he would refuse a glass of water.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: FB Gold, MB Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
All this about a glass of wine?

Anyone who knows much about air travel knows that drinking alcohol on a long flight is never a good idea, drink water to avoid dehydration. Alcohol is a diuretic which increases dehydration.
I agree. If you want to have a glass of wine, at least get a glass or water with every glass you get.

Originally Posted by TTT
Being closer to the front is good if you want to get a jump on the immigration process too (depending on your arrival airport, of course).
Good one. Thought keeping up the pace may work wonders as well.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ND76
One of life's pleasures is to have a cold cocktail or beer at 35,000 feet.

Some years ago I was having a PDB on the ground at SMF, waiting to push back on a redeye to ATL. A woman, apparently a nurse, sat down next to me and gave me a disapproving look, and told me I should never drink alcohol on an airliner. I used Jackie Gleason's famous line on her, that I don't drink bottled water because I didn't know what the fish did in it. She gave me the dirtiest of looks and didn't say another word the rest of the flight.
I would have asked you to please explain to me how fish get anywhere near the bottled water. All the bottled water I am aware of is drawn from underground aquifers or springs. Fish never get anywhere near it.

The line by W. C. Fields was a joke, not an actual reason to not drink water. Smart ... answers like that only say something about the person using them and are not a serious rebuttal of the point being made.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:23 am
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I would have asked you to please explain to me how fish get anywhere near the bottled water. All the bottled water I am aware of is drawn from underground aquifers or springs. Fish never get anywhere near it.

The line by W. C. Fields was a joke, not an actual reason to not drink water. Smart ... answers like that only say something about the person using them and are not a serious rebuttal of the point being made.

Some folks need booze to sleep or take the edge off of flying. Some people like booze because it makes them feel like they are on vacation. As long as they aren’t hurting anyone I don’t see the problem. And while you do get more dehydrated, it is very unlikely that there are any long term consequences to havejng a few cocktails on a flight.
You’re basically calling the OP an alcoholic.

And of of course the WC Fields line is a joke. Everyone with any sense knows this and the person that posted it was basically telling his judgemental seat mate to mind her own business (and maybe he meant the same purpose here). You seem to be the only one here lacking the sense of humor.

You must be be a blast a parties.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlueStreak17

some folks need booze to sleep or take the edge off of flying. Some people like booze because it makes them feel like they are on vacation. As long as they aren’t hurting anyone I don’t see the problem. And while you do get more dehydrated, it is very unlikely that there are any long term consequences to havejng a few cocktails on a flight.
You’re basically calling the OP an alcoholic.

And of of course the WC Fields line is a joke. Everyone with any sense knows this and the person that posted it was basically telling his judgemental seat mate to mind her own business (and maybe he meant the same purpose here). You seem to be the only one here lacking the sense of humor.

You must be be a blast a parties.
BlueStreak17, if you feel comfortable telling me what someone else meant by a remark they made, can you tell me how you become comfortable doing that? You say everyone with any sense knows this. I say, really? You are telling me that 'everyone' is capable of determining what another person intended to communicate with a comment they made. I say the evidence shows you are entirely wrong in that belief.

I took what was said as an attempt to 'put down' the woman using a smart ... response. If the person had wanted to tell her to 'mind her own business' as you suggest was the intent, then why not simply say, 'mind your own business'? Do you think the response used instead was more 'polite' or somehow 'better'?

You say that the woman was 'judgemental'. Really? How do you know she intended to be judgemental? Is it not possible that as a nurse she was simply stating a known fact with the intent of trying to help the person. Nurses do often tend to do that you know. Are you not 'judging' her intent?

I have a sense of humour BlueStreak17. but do you know what humour is? When someone tells a joke or says something funny with the intent of simply making someone laugh, that's humour. When someone says something with the intent of putting someone else down or even as a way of suggesting they 'mind their own business', that is not humour. That is simply someone who is afraid to say what they mean.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by service1010
For what I will be paying for my Comfort+ seat (I didn't want to wait until closer to the date as I want to ensure that I get C+ and the seat that I want) I want a wider seat than E, and easier access to wine! It's a long trip from MSP to CDG!
As TTT said above, i would not pay extra for C+. you'll get all the drinks you want on Intl flights. You should look for AF metal.
C+ is a seat with a red stripe.
Even even you pay for every drink, it's cheaper.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:44 am
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
BlueStreak17, if you feel comfortable telling me what someone else meant by a remark they made, can you tell me how you become comfortable doing that? You say everyone with any sense knows this. I say, really? You are telling me that 'everyone' is capable of determining what another person intended to communicate with a comment they made. I say the evidence shows you are entirely wrong in that belief.

I took what was said as an attempt to 'put down' the woman using a smart ... response. If the person had wanted to tell her to 'mind her own business' as you suggest was the intent, then why not simply say, 'mind your own business'? Do you think the response used instead was more 'polite' or somehow 'better'?

You say that the woman was 'judgemental'. Really? How do you know she intended to be judgemental? Is it not possible that as a nurse she was simply stating a known fact with the intent of trying to help the person. Nurses do often tend to do that you know. Are you not 'judging' her intent?

I have a sense of humour BlueStreak17. but do you know what humour is? When someone tells a joke or says something funny with the intent of simply making someone laugh, that's humour. When someone says something with the intent of putting someone else down or even as a way of suggesting they 'mind their own business', that is not humour. That is simply someone who is afraid to say what they mean.
Wow. I am not sure if I should even continue to wade into this anymore, but here goes...
I assumed in the previous post that the woman giving unsolicited advice was being judgmental because she was described as having a "disapproving look" in the post. That's all I have to go on. And Nurses can be judgmental.
And yes, anyone with sense and a command of the language would think that this person was not using the quote to actually advise against the drinking of water. It was a joke. I guessed it was to disarm the situation, which normal people uses jokes for, but who knows.
I can't decide if you are being intentionally obtuse, or really do lack anything resembling a sense of humor. Or are just trolling us.

One last thing: You say you say what you mean. What was the 'one circumstance" that you could think of that you would "expect someone to make a seat selection based on access to alcohol?"
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this thread has wondered far from the original topic, I am putting this one to bed.
Happy New Year
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.