Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Would you pay $300 to elevate your status to silver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you pay $300 to elevate your status to silver?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12

If these boundaries are so important than why do the airlines not enforce them?
When we get to the point that there are more irresponsible people than responsible people, then perhaps the airlines will have to be more rigorous in enforcing such rules and polices.

For now, they are probably counting on the fact that there are more people who say "I will play by the rules" than there are solipsistic people who feel that the rules were not intended to apply to them.

It's a shame that the latter class have to help make flying a PITA for the former class.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
When we get to the point that there are more irresponsible people than responsible people, then perhaps the airlines will have to be more rigorous in enforcing such rules and polices.

For now, they are probably counting on the fact that there are more people who say "I will play by the rules" than there are solipsistic people who feel that the rules were not intended to apply to them.

It's a shame that the latter class have to help make flying a PITA for the former class.
Rules in what sense? Because the airline says so? Those aren't rules, just suggestions. As far as I am concerned if we want to just go with classism as you suggest, then get rid of medallion status altogether and give perks based on ticket price or fare class. Why should a diamond medallion traveling in Y get to bored with someone paying for J? Just because a diamond flies a lot of cheap fares or by manufacturing spend they are valuable to Delta. I would say Delta thinks not with all the changes coming down the pipe (FCM, $250k waiver). I am a firm believer that if you want perks, then pay for them. Now this philosophy really thins out the herd. When it becomes about money then you will see your "rules" enforced.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I wouldn't. Unless I had a ton of rollover MQM that I'd lose otherwise.
I'm curious @OP how many MQM you have? If you're at 40k MQM and are just short on the MQD, then I agree with CPM that it is worth $300 to roll those over; in that case you're almost 2 years of silver for $300. If you have 26k MQM, or 24k and you're looking at a $300 MR, then I'd skip it personally, especially if you're flying F.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD

Rules in what sense? Because the airline says so? Those aren't rules, just suggestions.

They are rules and just because something isn't always enforced doesn't make it a 'suggestion.'

These rules are not always enforced (sometimes due to politeness or laziness), but mostly because in general people are willing to follow them. If everyone acted like you suggest, then they would have to be enforcing them more often, which would make the whole process more unpleasant for everyone involved.

I'm just glad that most flyers, and indeed people in general, don't share your mindset.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
They are rules and just because something isn't always enforced doesn't make it a 'suggestion.'

These rules are not always enforced (sometimes due to politeness or laziness), but mostly because in general people are willing to follow them. If everyone acted like you suggest, then they would have to be enforcing them more often, which would make the whole process more unpleasant for everyone involved.

I'm just glad that most flyers, and indeed people in general, don't share your mindset.
Well I don't want this thread to spiral out of control. Op asked if silver was worth it, I shared my opinion on the matter. Save his/her $300, follow my advice and let the sheep follow the " rules".
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Rules in what sense? Because the airline says so? Those aren't rules, just suggestions.
Why are they just suggestions? Because you say so?

As far as I am concerned if we want to just go with classism as you suggest, then get rid of medallion status altogether and give perks based on ticket price or fare class. Why should a diamond medallion traveling in Y get to bored with someone paying for J? Just because a diamond flies a lot of cheap fares or by manufacturing spend they are valuable to Delta. I would say Delta thinks not with all the changes coming down the pipe (FCM, $250k waiver). I am a firm believer that if you want perks, then pay for them. Now this philosophy really thins out the herd. When it becomes about money then you will see your "rules" enforced.
We go with capitalism because that's the system we have. Delta makes the rules (not suggestions, try violating them in front of a hardass GA and see what that gets you) to maximize its profit.

In this case, because the benefits of status are high enough, I've paid extra to fly Delta in order to (1) get those benefits on that flight, and, more importantly, to earn more status for later benefits. That translates into more revenue/profit for Delta. I pay for the perks by buying a lot of tickets on Delta and otherwise providing it revenue (including via Amex).
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
Why are they just suggestions? Because you say so?

We go with capitalism because that's the system we have. Delta makes the rules (not suggestions, try violating them in front of a hardass GA and see what that gets you) to maximize its profit.

In this case, because the benefits of status are high enough, I've paid extra to fly Delta in order to (1) get those benefits on that flight, and, more importantly, to earn more status for later benefits. That translates into more revenue/profit for Delta. I pay for the perks by buying a lot of tickets on Delta and otherwise providing it revenue (including via Amex).
Once again, if these rules are so very important, then why are they hardly ever enforced? If delta thought the same as you then why are they cutting the legs out on all these so called perks for elites? Hard ... GA?? You make it sound like they are catholic school nuns. They going to smack me with a ruler?? Haha. What they are is normal people just trying to get the plane loaded quickly with as little fuss as possible. Heck, half of them are chatting it up with another employee and just robotically scanning phones or boarding passes. If by chance a GA decides to enforce it(which I have NEVER seen) what happens? "Sir/ma'am, we are boarding premium only now". Ok, busted, have to board with my zone and I am so embarrassed that I was called out in front of a bunch of strangers who are completely engrossed with their phones and I will never see again. The reward far outweighs the risk. So pay extra to continue flying Delta for perks, I am sure Delta appreciates it. Just remember, I will be right next to you in that sweet premium boarding line.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by OPENROAD
Not much of a benefit then, ah well.
if you are SEA based, you've got good odds at getting at least comfort plus on west coast routes or flights to non-hubs such as AUS if you are silver. JFK, of course, isn't going to happen.
OPENROAD likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

Once again, if these rules are so very important, then why are they hardly ever enforced? If delta thought the same as you then why are they cutting the legs out on all these so called perks for elites? Hard ... GA?? You make it sound like they are catholic school nuns. They going to smack me with a ruler?? Haha. What they are is normal people just trying to get the plane loaded quickly with as little fuss as possible. Heck, half of them are chatting it up with another employee and just robotically scanning phones or boarding passes. If by chance a GA decides to enforce it(which I have NEVER seen) what happens? "Sir/ma'am, we are boarding premium only now". Ok, busted, have to board with my zone and I am so embarrassed that I was called out in front of a bunch of strangers who are completely engrossed with their phones and I will never see again. The reward far outweighs the risk. So pay extra to continue flying Delta for perks, I am sure Delta appreciates it. Just remember, I will be right next to you in that sweet premium boarding line.
Until a GA catches you for the second time and tells you that you will be the last passenger to board, earning a JWD certificate from me.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:50 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by sethb
Until a GA catches you for the second time and tells you that you will be the last passenger to board, earning a JWD certificate from me.
I hate to disappoint you, but flying_donkeys12 is going to get away with it. Nice fantasy, though.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I have never seen them turn anyone away. Just like when boarding, board with premium if you want. Does not matter if you are zone 3, It is never/very rarely enforced.
One time when Delta had just switched their GIDS around and being "upgraded" to C+ showed up on the "Upgrades" page for the first time, I tried to board with PREM (thinking I had been upgraded to F) and was turned back at the gate. It isn't quite never.

Now, what I have never seen is someone seemingly able bodied boarding with the pre-boards being turned back.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by angra
One time when Delta had just switched their GIDS around and being "upgraded" to C+ showed up on the "Upgrades" page for the first time, I tried to board with PREM (thinking I had been upgraded to F) and was turned back at the gate. It isn't quite never.

Now, what I have never seen is someone seemingly able bodied boarding with the pre-boards being turned back.
Too many people have disabilities or conditions that aren't visually obvious like chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, the peanut allergy that requires a wipe down of hard areas near a seat etc. that a GA can't really go there over ADA/ACA concerns.
pvn likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
I have this option, but not sure if silver is worth it. What do you think though? I travel probably once a month or so for work and "sometimes" get upgraded to premium economy. If gold it would be a no brainer.

Thanks
Yes. For $300 it's worth it.

There's another thread around here where a poster asked if it was worth it for $1000 (skipping the details). Without some extenuating circumstance in 2018, I'd say not worth it for $1000. For $300 I'd do it in a heartbeat, and probably would go up to $500. While a lot of the benefits of Silver have either been eliminated or duplicated by having a DL Amex card, being a Silver allows me to book an exit row (important since I'm 6-3). Getting an upgrade to F is rare but it does happen (and I always appreciate it), and it gives me an additional free checked bag (beyond what Amex gives me) for those once-in-a-blue-moon times when I need it.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:29 pm

Surprisingly, my SO has been upgraded much more frequently than expected (sometimes companion upgrades as well) as an FO and Zone 1 boarding has been beneficial as has being able to select priority seats at time of booking.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Funny, I just received an email that because I was so close to getting silver, they upgraded me anyway. That was unexepected

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.