Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

It this connection enough? Which would you choose?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: KF, FB, HH, AA

Good day.

Looking for some advise about making a connection. For the general information the tickets I am flying with are both bought separately from Delta and Korean air.
I am flying from ICN to JFK with KE arriving at 11:30am. I am connecting on a separate ticket same day flight with DL from JFK to MIA at 3:25pm. Would this be enough time to clear immigration (non-us citizen), customs, then transfer to T2 and check-in and get to the flight? or will i still have time to stretch and relax a bit?? Or should I rebook and get a later flight which leaves 7:27pm with DL, still on a separate ticket?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Four hours is plenty. Mobile passport will help if you don't have GE.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

@orca15 Thanks for the response. I am a citizen of a country that does not have GE. I read mobile passport can only be used by Canadian citizens and Us citizens is this correct? You think I will still have a bit of time to have a short walk to T4, to get some thing of a stall there??

Last edited by jacobus; Dec 29, 2017 at 11:05 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
4 hours is plenty even if you're not eligible for mobile passport or GE.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
2 hours is plenty, regardless of GE.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:05 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jacobus
@orca15 Thanks for the response. I am a citizen of a country that does not have GE. I read mobile passport can only be used by Canadian citizens and Us citizens is this correct? You think I will still have a bit of time to have a short walk to T4, to get some thing of a stall there??

Thanks. But isn't mobile passport only allowed if you are a US citizen, or canadian citizen? So, 4 hours is enough time for all of these and have some time to get to t4 to grab something I need over there?
You are correct, Mobile Passport is only available for US and Canadian citizens.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...ssport-control
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys. Even though both tickets are separate, and a non US citizen arriving 11:30am in JFK. 3hrs and 55 minutes to make an international connection to domestic DL enough? with time to stroll over t4 to grab something I need over there?

Could anyone tell me if I could directly check in at Terminal 2 right after passing customs at terminal 1?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I didn't mean the GE statement to be a qualifier. Four hours is plenty. There is a bunch of walking and line standing to do, so 2 hours would be tight, but should be no issue for yours.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by jacobus
Thanks guys. Even though both tickets are separate, and a non US citizen arriving 11:30am in JFK. 3hrs and 55 minutes to make an international connection to domestic DL enough? with time to stroll over t4 to grab something I need over there?

Could anyone tell me if I could directly check in at Terminal 2 right after passing customs at terminal 1?
You don't say which country and what type of visa you are entering on, but assuming something like Europe on ESTA (visa waiver) you should be fine. If you are entering from a "scary" country (I mean that ironically) on a less common visa, you may face a secondary inspection, which will take longer. Otherwise you should be through immigration and collect your bags (if any) in under an hour.

DL has a check-in (baggage drop) desk at T1. You could even check in for your flight online 24 hours in advance, then just drop the bags (if any) at T1. Then go directly to whichever of T2 or T4 your flight is departing from. (Confirm this when you arrive.) T2 is ~5 minute walk, T4 is 2 or 4 stops on the AirTrain (depending on which train you get on). Allow another 20 minutes to clear security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.