Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any Merit to Mileage Run to Hit 2MM Miler?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott, Amex

After getting back from SLC yesterday, I sit at 1,999,928 lifetime MQM's. Is there any compelling reason to do a mileage run to hit 2MM by 12/31? I fly again 1/3 to west coast and would otherwise hit it then. I'm already safely Diamond for 2018 and have enough rollover miles for 2019 Diamond once I hit MQD in 2018.Leaning toward thought that hitting 2MM in 2018 vs early 2019 makes no difference. Thoughts?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DTWNate
After getting back from SLC yesterday, I sit at 1,999,928 lifetime MQM's. Is there any compelling reason to do a mileage run to hit 2MM by 12/31? I fly again 1/3 to west coast and would otherwise hit it then. I'm already safely Diamond for 2018 and have enough rollover miles for 2019 Diamond once I hit MQD in 2018.Leaning toward thought that hitting 2MM in 2018 vs early 2019 makes no difference. Thoughts?
No benefit from hitting threshold early. Stay home.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
2MM get you lifetime GM.

I am still clarifying who's lifetime?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:24 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Back in April, I was flying DTW/PEK, and, I crossed from 1MM to 2MM while I was flying - - AND - - my account updated from 1MM to 2MM while inflight!

If you look at my posts <with pics> in the Forum Lounge, you'll see all of the congratulatory posts from fellow FlyerTalkers!

If THAT isn't worth it, what is?!?!?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28203332-post97122.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28211106-post97145.html
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Last edited by davetravels; Dec 29, 2017 at 7:53 am
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's always the slight risk that DL really could change the MM program suddenly and without any advance notice, including eliminating the MM gift or the item you want. That's sometimes an argument for trying to qualify right before rather than right after a new year and certainly before a merger or something similar. However, IMO the risk is extremely low at this time.

BTW, DL will probably send you a second DM kit with 2MM on the tags about six weeks after you hit the threshold. This is in addition to the regular DM kit you'll get in January.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's always the slight risk that DL really could change the MM program suddenly and without any advance notice, including eliminating the MM gift or the item you want. That's sometimes an argument for trying to qualify right before rather than right after a new year and certainly before a merger or something similar. However, IMO the risk is extremely low at this time.

BTW, DL will probably send you a second DM kit with 2MM on the tags about six weeks after you hit the threshold. This is in addition to the regular DM kit you'll get in January.
Good point about getting the 2MM gift before they are devaluated.

Am I correct that there is no threshold at 3MM so I should sleep through DL38 in Feb 2018?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
In a word....no.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Since you're starting 2018 with status, then there's no reason IMO. Lifetime Gold is nice but your Diamond status will still run the show for a few more years!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
LIFETIME Annual Gold.

Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by tentseller
2MM get you lifetime GM.

I am still clarifying who's lifetime?
Annual Complimentary GM (for as long as the Suits see an advantage to DL by graciously bestowing it)

Only advantage is if you desperately need a new piece of luggage and want to select one from whatever manufacturer close-outs DL is currently offering.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by tentseller
Good point about getting the 2MM gift before they are devaluated.

Am I correct that there is no threshold at 3MM so I should sleep through DL38 in Feb 2018?
No Medallion tier jump at 3 MM (although, providing one would make the DL MM program somewhat more competitive vs other airlines).

Does anyone know if there is a gift selection offered at 3 MM?

I am regrettably close to the milestone. Might even make it next year.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
want to select one from whatever manufacturer close-outs DL is currently offering.
Tumi is still selling the model that I selected that has a retail price of about $700.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by davetravels
Back in April, I was flying DTW/PEK, and, I crossed from 1MM to 2MM while I was flying - - AND - - my account updated from 1MM to 2MM while inflight!

If you look at my posts <with pics> in the Forum Lounge, you'll see all of the congratulatory posts from fellow FlyerTalkers!

If THAT isn't worth it, what is?!?!?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28203332-post97122.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28211106-post97145.html
You had quite a year with the Big D, crossing the 2 MM barrier and doing the SkyClub crawl. Happy travels for 2018!!!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
You had quite a year with the Big D, crossing the 2 MM barrier and doing the SkyClub crawl. Happy travels for 2018!!!
Thanx!

I started collecting miles with a TATL trip on NW in 1983, and, never, EVER thought I'd ever be able to sit in J overseas, or step foot in one of those hoidy-toidy airline clubs . Now that I know how the system works, I'm totally jaded, and simply WON'T fly in Y over either ocean, and I don't know how I'd get by without the SkyClubs!

I feel pretty certain that I won't hit 3MM.

<Still awaiting my first Porsche ride, tho!>

And nice to meet'ya!

Last edited by davetravels; Dec 29, 2017 at 3:33 pm
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ND76
Yes, congrats to davetravels.

We should also acknowledge ND76 for AFAIK inventing the SC crawl.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.