FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Appreciating Delta's night flight service now..... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1884996-appreciating-deltas-night-flight-service-now.html)

kyushuman Dec 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Appreciating Delta's night flight service now.....

I've usually flown Delta on overnight flights the past few years-- mostly to and from South America, also some Europe flights.
Booked a KLM codeshare on the new 787-900, a great plane, friendly crew, and Economy Comfort upgrade due to my Delta Platinum status.
BUT-- KLM serves v e r y S L O W L Y-- on a flight time of seven hours 15 minutes, the lights were on for a total of about 4 hours, 30 minutes-- about 2 hours 30 minutes for dinner (9:30pm to midnight) and then after 3 hours of dark, the blazing lights were back on for the last 2 hours for the breakfast service.

I really think DL offers a full 60-90 minutes more of dark time on its overnight flights.
It is lights out within 60-90 minutes on takeoff after serving a quick dinner, and usualy the breakfast doesn't start until about 75 minutes are left in the flight.
Better for the crew, done with the service quickly-- and the passengers too, especially on short redeye flights.

MSPeconomist Dec 28, 2017 2:28 pm

As a very general observation, Europeans tend to eat dinner later and more slowly than most Americans.

However, I'm surprised that an airline that does full meal service on very short flights would need to wake everyone for breakfast so early. Their FAs are accustomed to serving and retrieving meal trays very quickly and efficiently, so it seems pointless to start breakfast so early unless bad turbulence was expected near the destination.

flyerslc Dec 28, 2017 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by kyushuman (Post 29223947)
after 3 hours of dark, the blazing lights were back on for the last 2 hours for the breakfast service.

I hate this. Why can't they eat their gruel in the dark while I sleep?

BenA Dec 28, 2017 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by flyerslc (Post 29225046)
I hate this. Why can't they eat their gruel in the dark while I sleep?

I think it’s more for the convenience of the flight attendants serving the meals, to be honest.

flyerCO Dec 29, 2017 1:37 am

Flew the 1030pm redeye LAX-JFK. Lights kept off the whole time. They served in the dark so people could sleep.

FireEmblemPride Dec 29, 2017 1:59 am

Appreciated it back when HND-LAX was a redeye. Who the heck wants to have a full meal at 1AM?

This kind of irks me with the EK/QR's redeyes as well (also from HND). By default, they assume you want to eat a mediocre airplane meal even though it's 2AM local time. One time I even tried using those "Don't Wake Me Up" stickers but the FA didn't see it. :/

On a recent redeye from SIN to HND, JL didn't wake me up. So grateful for that.

rwoman Dec 29, 2017 3:29 am

This is why I use an eye mask. :cool: Lights on. Lights off. Do not care too much. ;)

kyushuman Dec 29, 2017 8:15 am

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 29226115)
This is why I use an eye mask. :cool: Lights on. Lights off. Do not care too much. ;)

my very good eye mask couldn’t block the blazing full lights on KLM 787 😁

pvn Dec 29, 2017 9:04 am

Why do you think it's "very good" then?

kyushuman Jan 1, 2018 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 29226887)
Why do you think it's "very good" then?

Yawn.
It's never been a problem on other flights.
Anyway, you shouldn't need an exceptionally good eye mask to survive KLM's night flights.

ShopAround Jan 2, 2018 6:54 am

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride (Post 29225987)
Who the heck wants to have a full meal at 1AM?

I was on a 12:40am CPT-CDG flight on AF last week and they offered meal service. Didn't have many takers.

DLDiamond2013 Jan 2, 2018 7:03 am

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride (Post 29225987)
Appreciated it back when HND-LAX was a redeye. Who the heck wants to have a full meal at 1AM?

This kind of irks me with the EK/QR's redeyes as well (also from HND). By default, they assume you want to eat a mediocre airplane meal even though it's 2AM local time. One time I even tried using those "Don't Wake Me Up" stickers but the FA didn't see it. :/

On a recent redeye from SIN to HND, JL didn't wake me up. So grateful for that.

I agree that on the ground, I have no desire for a meal at 1:00am local time. But my rule of thumb while traveling is to eat when food is offered, if at all possible. This is because sometimes your next planned meal doesn’t occur as planned, delays happen, cancellations happen, diversions happen, misconnects and inadvertent overnights happen, etc. I prefer to not have to look for food in the midst of those issues, too, if I can prevent it. That’s just me and my two cents. Not saying those are reasons enough for an entire plane full of people to eat at 1:00am local/body clock time.

MSPeconomist Jan 2, 2018 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013 (Post 29239397)

I agree that on the ground, I have no desire for a meal at 1:00am local time. But my rule of thumb while traveling is to eat when food is offered, if at all possible. This is because sometimes your next planned meal doesn’t occur as planned, delays happen, cancellations happen, diversions happen, misconnects and inadvertent overnights happen, etc. I prefer to not have to look for food in the midst of those issues, too, if I can prevent it. That’s just me and my two cents. Not saying those are reasons enough for an entire plane full of people to eat at 1:00am local/body clock time.

I learned this as a young age, traveling with my parents.......even on car trips, meals didn't follow a schedule as my mother tended to be fussy about hygiene.

rufflesinc Jan 2, 2018 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29240817)
.even on car trips, meals didn't follow a schedule as my mother tended to be fussy about hygiene.

so where did you eat

sjackson12 Jan 2, 2018 1:15 pm

Since it's tangential, what should I expect in terms of meal timing for Delta One MSP-AMS leaving at 10 PM? Food in the dark? I don't expect I'll be too hungry, but when in Rome and all that