Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Premium Select

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles&More
Delta Premium Select

I'm a Skyteam FB Silver member, am not that loyal to a particular airline, but since recently I want to try out La Premiere, but not willing to pay for it straight out. So focussed on flying Skyteam and got myself an AMEX FB Gold card.

Anyway, I booked a flight with Delta for the first time, mainly cause they're in Skyteam and I wanted to try out their new A350 Premium Select. The trip has 2 layovers, it will take place in May next year. AMS - DTW, DTW-MSN, MSN-MAD. All at G class, premium select and two domestic first class. My questions are;
  • Do I have the right to enter the skyclub lounge in Detroit, Minneapolis and Madison, if there are Delta lounges there? If not how much does it cost to enter the lounge? Is it worth it to pay to get into the lounge in Detroit, Minneapolis and Madison? Likely I only will be interested to get into the Detroit lounge, cause the transit times at Minneapolis is less than 2 hours. And at Madison I won't be there early, but if it's free I'd like to check it out.
  • How much is a reasonable price to upgrade to Delta One, from PS for the AMS-DTW or DTW-AMS leg?
  • If I upgrade at check-in will it be regarded as a business class fligh regarding level/award miles?
  • In the Delta app, there is a tab called upgrade, but if I click on it, I can only see how many seats are available in the business class section, but no option to put in a bid or to purchase an upgrade to business class, am I doing something wrong?
I send an e-mail with these questions a week ago, and I still haven't gotten a reply from Delta.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:05 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hermitage
I'm a Skyteam FB Silver member, am not that loyal to a particular airline, but since recently I want to try out La Premiere, but not willing to pay for it straight out. So focussed on flying Skyteam and got myself an AMEX FB Gold card.

Anyway, I booked a flight with Delta for the first time, mainly cause they're in Skyteam and I wanted to try out their new A350 Premium Select. The trip has 2 layovers, it will take place in May next year. AMS - DTW, DTW-MSN, MSN-MAD. All at G class, premium select and two domestic first class. My questions are;
  • Do I have the right to enter the skyclub lounge in Detroit, Minneapolis and Madison, if there are Delta lounges there? If not how much does it cost to enter the lounge? Is it worth it to pay to get into the lounge in Detroit, Minneapolis and Madison? Likely I only will be interested to get into the Detroit lounge, cause the transit times at Minneapolis is less than 2 hours. And at Madison I won't be there early, but if it's free I'd like to check it out.
  • How much is a reasonable price to upgrade to Delta One, from PS for the AMS-DTW or DTW-AMS leg?
  • If I upgrade at check-in will it be regarded as a business class fligh regarding level/award miles?
  • In the Delta app, there is a tab called upgrade, but if I click on it, I can only see how many seats are available in the business class section, but no option to put in a bid or to purchase an upgrade to business class, am I doing something wrong?
I send an e-mail with these questions a week ago, and I still haven't gotten a reply from Delta.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Welcome to FT!

Delta doesn't have a published buy-up program for business class upgrades. Some receive check-in upgrade offers but they are sporadic and can't be counted on. There isn't a way to upgrade on the app (the upgrade link you see is for day of departure upgrades using an upgrade certificate).

You can call Delta and ask for the fare difference between the PE fare and Delta One. Expect at least $1,000 and likely more.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Domestic First Class tickets don't get you lounge access and neither does Delta Premium Select class flights. You either need to have Skyteam Elite Plus status or have a same-day Delta One ticket. FB Silver is only Skyteam Elite, not Elite Plus. Skyteam Elite Plus only gets you lounge access if you have a same-day international flight (it does not entitle you to entrance on a purely US domestic itin). The lounge price is $59 which is not really worth it. Also, there is no lounge in MSN. Delta does not have fixed price upgrades for day of-departure. You may get a discounted offer at check-in, but otherwise you will be expected to pay the fare difference to upgrade.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles&More
Thank you for your replies. I may try out the Delta One upgrade and the lounge visit just for the experience. Although I also want to try out a leg in a bulkhead and a non bulkhead seat, for a guy of average height. It's a pity Delta has 2-4-2 in Premium, while Lufthansa, for the same plane and flight, has 2-3-2, while being about 20 euro cheaper.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:06 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Wow, LH having 2-3-2 in W is pretty unexpected considering they have 2-2-2 in J on the 350!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pvn
Wow, LH having 2-3-2 in W is pretty unexpected considering they have 2-2-2 in J on the 350!
Yeah, i was not expecting this either. Looking it up, definitely looks nice!

Lufthansa A350 Premium Economy
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
With AA installing Premium Economy on all widebody aircraft, and now United announcing pretty much the same, will Delta expand Premium Select to more than just the A350 and B772 aircraft? As much as I like flying Delta, I would choose AA or UA PE over Delta Comfort +.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a thread over on Airliners claiming that the 764's will get D1 suites and PS starting in spring of 2019. Haven't seen anything official from DL yet though.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:14 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by LBJ
There's a thread over on Airliners claiming that the 764's will get D1 suites and PS starting in spring of 2019. Haven't seen anything official from DL yet though.
I'm hopeful the A330s make the list, too. Because right now, there's zip DL premium economy service to Paris unless you can luck onto an Air France flight.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ndhapple
I'm hopeful the A330s make the list, too. Because right now, there's zip DL premium economy service to Paris unless you can luck onto an Air France flight.
Well, you could always take the DTW-AMS PS flight and then connect to CDG.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:09 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Why do you need luck to book AF over the water?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:36 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by pvn
Why do you need luck to book AF over the water?
Well, from Austin, all of the flights that leave after 4pm arrive into DTW, ATL and JFK too late to catch AF connection across the pond. So it's Delta on an A330 or 767 usually. So you either have to leave before 2pm (wasting an afternoon) or go in steerage/comfort+.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Hermitage

Anyway, I booked a flight with Delta for the first time, mainly cause they're in Skyteam and I wanted to try out their new A350 Premium Select. The trip has 2 layovers, it will take place in May next year. AMS - DTW, DTW-MSN, MSN-MAD.
MSN-MAD???? As in Madison, WI to Madrid, Spain? I don't think you're going to find a Delta plane (or any plane) flying that route.
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ndhapple
I'm not at all. A330s have 36 J seats. And the seats are excellent.

AF PE has an absolutely awful hard product. And then DL would remove C+ from A330s. All really, really bad moves IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.