Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hey Delta, why no PLUTONIUM Medallion tier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hey Delta, why no PLUTONIUM Medallion tier?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Question Hey Delta, why no PLUTONIUM Medallion tier?

There are a billion Diamond Medallions out there. On my DTW>NRT flight, the pilot thanked the FOURTEEN million milers on-board. On my routine ATL>SNA flight, on a measly 757, there were no fewer than a dozen, and possibly 20 DMs. The clubs are littered with them.

Instead of making changes to DM requirements (which is a good thing, but not good enough, IMHO), why not just introduce a new PLUTONIUM Medallion tier? D360 is too random and clandestine, so instead of relying on an invite-only tier, why not set a new level for the above-Diamond flyer?

I'm sure this isn't a new suggestion, by any means, but I'd like to see a published Delta Medallion tier that is something like 200,000 MQMs and $25,000 MQDs. That gives unlimited automatic Global Upgrades above Diamond+GUC. Maybe even 250,000 MQMs + $30,000 MQDs (which, conveniently, is about where I am ;-)

That sounds reasonable, and would provide us with a TRULY "Elite" flyer status. The herd is just too thick in DM, even with the new $250K waiver.

What thinkest thou?
sdadept likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:44 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
There is 360...
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by C W
There is 360...
I know, and I mentioned that in my OP, but that's clandestine and invite-only. There is no way to get there based upon just simple MQD+MQM.

A 200K + $25K or higher Medallion level would make a clear distinction between the riff-raff and those who are truly loyal and contribute to DL's bottom line.

Just some post-Christmas ramblings from my hotel room in Glasgow. ;-)
sdadept likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:12 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I know, and I mentioned that in my OP, but that's clandestine and invite-only. There is no way to get there based upon just simple MQD+MQM.

A 200K + $25K or higher Medallion level would make a clear distinction between the riff-raff and those who are truly loyal and contribute to DL's bottom line.

Just some post-Christmas ramblings from my hotel room in Glasgow. ;-)
That’s exactly what 360 is though. All about the bottom line. Doesn’t matter much how far you fly, just how much money you make them while doing it.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W

That’s exactly what 360 is though. All about the bottom line. Doesn’t matter much how far you fly, just how much money you make them while doing it.

OK, then publish the requirements so we know what we need to do? If they won't, then give us an ELITE Medallion tier. Diamond is (obviously) too easy to reach, thereby diluting any "Eliteness" about it.

OK, signing off for now. Wife and I headed to Dornie Castle and Isle of Skye. ;-)
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
...then give us an ELITE Medallion tier. Diamond is (obviously) too easy to reach, thereby diluting any "Eliteness" about it.
Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell whether you have the perspective to understand DL's entire customer pool, and understand that a Silver Medallion is in Delta's top 13% of customers, or if you are just attempting to be incredibly arrogant.

It's also comical to think someone with $30K MQD deserves unlimited comp global upgrades...talk to 360's spending 6 figures who don't get that.
DiverDave, syd999, tvnwz and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
There are a billion Diamond Medallions out there. On my DTW>NRT flight, the pilot thanked the FOURTEEN million milers on-board. On my routine ATL>SNA flight, on a measly 757, there were no fewer than a dozen, and possibly 20 DMs. The clubs are littered with them....
14 million milers - but what tier?

How did you know there were 12-20 DMs on that flight?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
There is this one: Kryptonium Medallion
SuperG1955, navi_jen and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:45 am

Any DL flights getting in/out of ATL is going to be packed with DMs; but in the rest of the country I haven't noticed a big concentration, at least between JFK-SFO and LGA-ORD
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
So What should happen to a customer who has earned DM status every year since its inception, and who was a PM for a decade before that, and now has millions of SkyMiles stored. He chooses to pay with miles, keeps earning MQMs but not MQDs. He spends 6 figures on Amex cards but falls short of a quarter million dollars. IMO, WPM tickets should count towards Meds as would a Delta cash voucher count.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: Delta
Sounds like a DYKWIA sob story.
syd999 and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I'm Kryptonium, I get to sit above the pilots!
TheHorta and wxman22 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No need to further segment travelers, maybe just raise the qualifications.

Many carriers have a tier with unpublished criteria such as DL's 360, e.g. UA's GS and BA's Premier. Part of that is just marketing hype because everyone wants to be part of an exclusive club and the other part is that those tiers are not just about what you spend but about the spend you control. The CFO of a large organization may not spend much at all, but he controls his organization's spend and that spend amounts to $Millions, making him feel special is well worth it.

Bottom line is that it really is about net revenue not revenue. Flying lots of TPAC paid D1 does more for the bottom line than the same spend on most micro-hauls.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:42 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by RobertS975
So What should happen to a customer who has earned DM status every year since its inception, and who was a PM for a decade before that, and now has millions of SkyMiles stored. He chooses to pay with miles, keeps earning MQMs but not MQDs. He spends 6 figures on Amex cards but falls short of a quarter million dollars. IMO, WPM tickets should count towards Meds as would a Delta cash voucher count.
Nothing "should" happen to this guy, there's no universal morality that dictates what this guy deserves.

What he's going to get is platinum status.

Safe travels.
bubbashow and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:45 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Are you being sarcastic?
I don't fly a ton compared to people here, I don't do mileage runs, I don't do manufactured spend, I only did about 70k butt-in-seat miles in 2017 and I made diamond this year thanks to a combination of class bonus, and rollover (and relatively high MQDs).

It's too easy if I'm getting it.
sdadept and TheHorta like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.