Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More Newspapers in SC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pvn
I just emailed them to let them know I think getting rid of newspapers is a great idea and that I look forward to them using those resources in a more productive manner.
What a jerk.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by flyerslc
I just received a very nice reply email directly from Mr. Hecht, assuring me that they will take my comments into account. Obviously, they may not bring them back, but it was not a form letter, making me hope that if enough people ask for their return, they may reconsider if financially possible.
Same here.

Bruce
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:31 pm

Those of you who do like to read may be familiar with Schopenhauer:
"The emotion of pleasure-in-others'-misfortune (Schadenfreude in German) is generally regarded as morally evil. It is often considered to be less acceptable than envy, which is regarded as a deadly sin. It would appear to be morally more perverse to be pleased with another person's misfortune than to be displeased with another person's good fortune. Indeed Arthur Schopenhauer argues that to feel envy is human, but to enjoy other people's misfortune is diabolical. For Schopenhauer, pleasure-in-others'-misfortune is the worst trait in human nature since it is closely related to cruelty."
BenA likes this.

Last edited by flyerslc; Jan 10, 2018 at 9:41 pm
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:48 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
That's interesting but seems pretty far off-topic.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Thumbs down

Visited ATL B yesterday, nothing but Sky Magazines. What a waste. Guess another email is in order...
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pvn
That's interesting but seems pretty far off-topic.
Not off-topic when it relates to you always antagonizing other commenters on their 'misfortunes.'
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:26 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by dmarge18
Not off-topic when it relates to you always antagonizing other commenters on their 'misfortunes.'
What are you talking about? People are mentioning how they have expressed their opinions to Delta about how they should allocate their skyclub resources, I did the same. What's the problem?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pvn
I just emailed them to let them know I think getting rid of newspapers is a great idea and that I look forward to them using those resources in a more productive manner.
It would be one thing if they took away newspapers, but gave everyone digital newspapers or put newspapers in the first-class cabins of domestic aircraft. But they didn't. First, it was the magazines and now it is newspapers. Delta has taken away two amenities from the Sky Club without any replacement amenities or benefits.

What next? Replacing Coke and Diet Coke with a generic, no-name pop?
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It would be one thing if they took away newspapers, but gave everyone digital newspapers or put newspapers in the first-class cabins of domestic aircraft. But they didn't. First, it was the magazines and now it is newspapers. Delta has taken away two amenities from the Sky Club without any replacement amenities or benefits.

What next? Replacing Coke and Diet Coke with a generic, no-name pop?
Maybe this?
​​​​​​
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:02 pm
pvn
Suspended

There are entire threads talking about how the food has improved, skydecks, new locations, renovations, etc.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Delta has taken away two amenities from the Sky Club without any replacement amenities or benefits.
I think DL could very fairly argue that they have done far more than just replaced two amenities. DL has recently put enormous investment into the clubs; far more than they have taken away. If we look at the last five years or so, here are a handful of investments that I can think of that far outweigh having a newspaper (and I do actually think they should keep print reading materiel available):

-Food and drink has dramatically improved (remember when it was just cheese, crackers and Segram's??)
-Newest clubs have excellent and beautiful design
-Improved internet speed (IME)
-Luxury brand soaps
-Investments in older clubs even in non-competitive markets
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Forgot about the papers on Jan 5 when I was in ATL. Asked about it and the agent laughed and said no. When I asked if he's gotten a lot of complaints about it he replied, "you have no idea..."
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I If we look at the last five years or so, here are a handful of investments that I can think of that far outweigh having a newspaper (and I do actually think they should keep print reading materiel available):

-Food and drink has dramatically improved (remember when it was just cheese, crackers and Segram's??)
-Newest clubs have excellent and beautiful design
-Improved internet speed (IME)
-Luxury brand soaps
-Investments in older clubs even in non-competitive markets
- More proactive service: servers bussing and offering refills, I believe heading towards a more VS Clubhouse style if they can reduce the overcrowding.

But I think quality (New York Times, Finanical Times, WSJ, etc. - NOT USA Today) newspapers help define an image of a quality airline lounge.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
-

But I think quality (New York Times, Finanical Times, WSJ, etc. - NOT USA Today) newspapers help define an image of a quality airline lounge.

I completely agree. I was just responding to the idea that they removed benefits without adding anything. In the bigger picture they have still drastically improved amenities and service.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Forgot about the papers on Jan 5 when I was in ATL. Asked about it and the agent laughed and said no. When I asked if he's gotten a lot of complaints about it he replied, "you have no idea..."
Glad to hear there is negative feedback on this move. Hope it's a sharp 180. Makes other clubs more competitive [Looking at both AS and AMEX]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.