Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More Newspapers in SC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Michael J. Hecht
Delta Air Lines – Customer Engagement & Loyalty
Director, SkyMiles Program
[email protected]
Thank you for the contact information. I emailed him this morning.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
Every morning someone has to unpack them and put them out, and every evening someone has to get rid of the pile of newspapers that nobody touched. The newspapers being free doesn't mean that the service has no cost.

Hmm. I would think the delivery would be done by the same people that are probably delivering thousands of newspapers all over the airport to various vendors each morning, and the clean up is done by people that are already there and paid to clean. I just have trouble imagining that this is a real cost factor.

I actually doubt Hockeyinsiders theory that they are getting the papers for free. Maybe the USAtoday, but I don't think the NYT or WSJ are handing out free papers anymore. They certainly don't provide free online access, so they rely on more than advertising to make money.

The NYT's full price 7 days a week subscription is about $20 a week per paper to a residential address, and about the same if you were to buy it daily on the newsstand. So let's assume it's not free to DL but that the DL got a tremendous discount, maybe 75% off, paying $5 per week, per paper, and they got let's say 30 daily papers sent to a club (just making up these numbers). That would be $600 per month, per club, just for the NYT. There are 33 clubs ( I think) so that would be $19,800 per month or about $240K per year to provide the New York Times to all clubs at these numbers. Even if they are only paying half of what I guessing they are paying, that would still be $9,900 per month or $118K a year.

These guesses do not count for other papers or the newspapers provided in Delta One. I am guessing they were spending at least $300K per year, and probably more, on newspapers.

If I am correct, and I have no idea if I am, it's easy to see that this would be an obvious place to cut if you needed to, or if you were looking to free up budget to provide a different amenity.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Hmm. I would think the delivery would be done by the same people that are probably delivering thousands of newspapers all over the airport to various vendors each morning, and the clean up is done by people that are already there and paid to clean. I just have trouble imagining that this is a real cost factor.

I actually doubt Hockeyinsiders theory that they are getting the papers for free. Maybe the USAtoday, but I don't think the NYT or WSJ are handing out free papers anymore. They certainly don't provide free online access, so they rely on more than advertising to make money.

The NYT's full price 7 days a week subscription is about $20 a week per paper to a residential address, and about the same if you were to buy it daily on the newsstand. So let's assume it's not free to DL but that the DL got a tremendous discount, maybe 75% off, paying $5 per week, per paper, and they got let's say 30 daily papers sent to a club (just making up these numbers). That would be $600 per month, per club, just for the NYT. There are 33 clubs ( I think) so that would be $19,800 per month or about $240K per year to provide the New York Times to all clubs at these numbers. Even if they are only paying half of what I guessing they are paying, that would still be $9,900 per month or $118K a year.

These guesses do not count for other papers or the newspapers provided in Delta One. I am guessing they were spending at least $300K per year, and probably more, on newspapers.

If I am correct, and I have no idea if I am, it's easy to see that this would be an obvious place to cut if you needed to, or if you were looking to free up budget to provide a different amenity.
I know that the NYT provides papers for free at colleges and universities. I doubt the WSJ provides anything for free.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by flyerslc
I know that the NYT provides papers for free at colleges and universities. I doubt the WSJ provides anything for free.
Almost every newspaper provides free copies to customers like Delta because it greatly increases their circulation thereby allowing them to charge more for advertising.
melissaru likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
I have free access to pressreader through the NYPL. In the app, it mentions that the SkyClub at LGA(I think Terminal D) is a hotspot, allegedly allowing free access for 48 hours. Wonder if this is the replacement.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Almost every newspaper provides free copies to customers like Delta because it greatly increases their circulation thereby allowing them to charge more for advertising.
That business model is changing rapidly, however. Many publications now get more revenue from subscribers than advertisers—a huge shift. (In the old days, newspapers used to get something like 80 percent of revenue from ads.) So, there will be less free distribution in the future.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pvn
Every morning someone has to unpack them and put them out, and every evening someone has to get rid of the pile of newspapers that nobody touched. The newspapers being free doesn't mean that the service has no cost.
Well, I guess they should stop stocking the fancy lotion and soap in the bathroom that some company gives Delta for free or at a greatly reduced cost because that takes time to stock.
Originally Posted by pvn
People actually use those
I recognize that you've made a sport of taking the contrarian position to often-hysterical FT complaints, but let's not pretend that the newspapers go unread. In the clubs I frequent, there are few if any copies remaining untouched by early evening.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Read this via Loyalty Lobby. While not a deal breaker it will be a huge perk gone for me. Apparently gone starting Jan 1. Can anyone else confirm?
First flight of 2018, today, LGA-FLL. Got to SkyClub in Terminal D. Looked for newspapers, found none. Asked and was told that they were discontinued January 1. Told staff I was disappointed. They suggested I tell Delta.

Bruce
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Michael J. Hecht
Delta Air Lines – Customer Engagement & Loyalty
Director, SkyMiles Program
[email protected]
Thanks, I'm going to email him now. I pay for access to the NYT, but love reading both the Times and the WSJ at the club, whiling away the time.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
I'm going to email too. Even if it does cost DL a bit...I mean, so what? They should invest in the clubs.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Also emailed. Thanks for the contact info.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:09 pm

I just received a very nice reply email directly from Mr. Hecht, assuring me that they will take my comments into account. Obviously, they may not bring them back, but it was not a form letter, making me hope that if enough people ask for their return, they may reconsider if financially possible.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:04 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I just emailed them to let them know I think getting rid of newspapers is a great idea and that I look forward to them using those resources in a more productive manner.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by flyerslc
I just received a very nice reply email directly from Mr. Hecht, assuring me that they will take my comments into account. Obviously, they may not bring them back, but it was not a form letter, making me hope that if enough people ask for their return, they may reconsider if financially possible.
Yes, he sent me a nice personal response as well.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Yes, he sent me a nice personal response as well.
Me too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.