Wiki Posts
Search

Gifts for flight crew?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
There are times when I see posts like some in this thread that I am truly ashamed to be a part of this forum. But given the posters who made them, I am not surprised.

ashamed? Why.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:22 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Why? I worked in the service industry and had to work Thanksgiving, Christmas, Fourth of July, New Years Eve/Day, etc. I never got a present or "thank you" for doing so, I knew what I signed up for when I took the job. Unless the flight crew went above and beyond, there is really no reason to award them for doing their jobs.
I don't think it's meant to be a "REWARD". While everything you say is true, it's SIMPLY a nice gesture to give somebody a small token of appreciation while they can't be with their families on a big holiday! What's so hard to understand about that?
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM
What about the others that work that day? From TSA to Dispatchers and everyone in between?

I like the thought, but think a sincere "Merry Christmas and thank you for working today" would also be just as appreciated to everyone you encounter.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
This has turned into the most “but ALL lives matter!” thread...

bottom line, just looking to make a nice gesture to some of the most often under appreciated folks out there during a super hectic time of year. I’m sorry if you think that’s wrong.

i wasn’t primarily asking IF I should do this, but rather HOW to go about it (i.e. what to get, how to give out). If anyone has suggestions on that end or if they’ve seen it done, I’d be happy to hear it. You’re right. I simply cannot give to everyone. But if I can make a few people’s day a little brighter, so be it.
EasyGoingGuy likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCP2016

Why? I worked in the service industry and had to work Thanksgiving, Christmas, Fourth of July, New Years Eve/Day, etc. I never got a present or "thank you" for doing so, I knew what I signed up for when I took the job. Unless the flight crew went above and beyond, there is really no reason to award them for doing their jobs.
but it’s not an award nor did I ever even imply that so.... you never got a gift “just because?”
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I think it's a nice gesture.
CPMaverick and Pianoman109876 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Ignore the posters on here, the flight attendants will appreciate the gesture and I think it is a great idea. My mom did the same thing a couple of years ago flying from PNS-RNO on AA and still talks about how great it was.

Maybe include a couple more for the check in agents or gate agents. She said the gate agents were very surprised to receive something.
BenA and Pianoman109876 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
This has turned into the most “but ALL lives matter!” thread...

bottom line, just looking to make a nice gesture to some of the most often under appreciated folks out there during a super hectic time of year. I’m sorry if you think that’s wrong.

i wasn’t primarily asking IF I should do this, but rather HOW to go about it (i.e. what to get, how to give out). If anyone has suggestions on that end or if they’ve seen it done, I’d be happy to hear it. You’re right. I simply cannot give to everyone. But if I can make a few people’s day a little brighter, so be it.
I've done this the past couple years when traveling around the holidays and I plan to do the same this year. I too have $5 Starbucks gift cards that I hand out to the crew members. What I've done in the past is find the lead flight attendant and give him/her enough to hand out to their crew. As for the pilots, I always ask the lead flight attendant if it's alright if I may go to the flight deck real quick to deliver them personally (I'm an airplane nerd and any time I get to be in the cockpit is cool to me. Plus my dad was a commercial airline pilot so I know what they're going through if they have a family they're away from). The few times I've done this I've never had any issues whatsoever. However, if it's a little too chaotic during the boarding process (which we all know happens more often than not) I would recommend catching one of the flight attendants during a slower time for them in flight. And as a last resort, if you can't do it during the flight, hand them to one of the FA's/lead FA as you're getting off the aircraft. In the end, regardless of when you do it, they will be surprised and very appreciative. Every single crew I've done this for was just that and to the point where each one individually would find me where I was sitting and thank me personally (when handed to the lead FA that is). Enjoy these little moments and happy holidays.

OPS
KBMIFlyer and Pianoman109876 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
Ignore the posters on here, the flight attendants will appreciate the gesture and I think it is a great idea. My mom did the same thing a couple of years ago flying from PNS-RNO on AA and still talks about how great it was.

Maybe include a couple more for the check in agents or gate agents. She said the gate agents were very surprised to receive something.
Good catch on the gate agents!
KBMIFlyer and BenA like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876

i just meant with the power outage and bad weather in ATL and northeast recently. Probably extra busy and with all that extra work and trying to explain to people why their flight in Ohio is canceled when the problem was in Georgia must get tiring. But yes, business wise they’re doing well
This is just the life they lead every single day of their career. We haven't even had a really bad weather spell yet.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Well I'm glad to hear someone loves them!

They are certainly not popular among passengers right now.
You can't speak for passengers other than yourself. And when were you happy?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by indufan
This is just the life they lead every single day of their career. We haven't even had a really bad weather spell yet.

They have to deal with a catestrophic fire that disrupts over 1300 flights every single day of their careers?

damn, I must’ve REALLY been missing the news lately...
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattya9
I've done this the past couple years when traveling around the holidays and I plan to do the same this year. I too have $5 Starbucks gift cards that I hand out to the crew members. What I've done in the past is find the lead flight attendant and give him/her enough to hand out to their crew. As for the pilots, I always ask the lead flight attendant if it's alright if I may go to the flight deck real quick to deliver them personally (I'm an airplane nerd and any time I get to be in the cockpit is cool to me. Plus my dad was a commercial airline pilot so I know what they're going through if they have a family they're away from). The few times I've done this I've never had any issues whatsoever. However, if it's a little too chaotic during the boarding process (which we all know happens more often than not) I would recommend catching one of the flight attendants during a slower time for them in flight. And as a last resort, if you can't do it during the flight, hand them to one of the FA's/lead FA as you're getting off the aircraft. In the end, regardless of when you do it, they will be surprised and very appreciative. Every single crew I've done this for was just that and to the point where each one individually would find me where I was sitting and thank me personally (when handed to the lead FA that is). Enjoy these little moments and happy holidays.

OPS
thank you so much for the advice on how and when to best handle this! I appreciate it!
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
You can't speak for passengers other than yourself. And when were you happy?
I guess you didn't see Delta's Facebook page during the winter screw up and power outage. And I used to love Delta before Anderson came along and devoured its soul.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
By and large, chocolates seem to be the currency of the aviation industry - particularly for nonrevs thanking a crew of colleagues. If you have a nicely wrapped box or interesting assortment from your hometown that the purser can open and share with the crew as they work, it will likely be appreciated. (Make sure it’s commercially wrapped, of course.)

I’m sure small gift cards would have the same effect - just keep them small so as to be a token gift rather than anything of reportable value.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
ashamed? Why.
Because here is someone who (out of the goodness of his/her heart) is trying to do something nice for his fellow human beings. The reaction from some Flyertalkers is automatically critical, cynical, and scornful.

That's why "ashamed."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.