Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Partner Biz to Accumulate MQDs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Flying Partner Biz to Accumulate MQDs

I'll have a ton of rollovers this year, and a relatively light flying schedule in spring 2018, so re-qualifying for Diamond without the AmEx MQD waiver will be all but impossible without a work-around. I've seen references in several threads to folks planning biz-class mileage runs on partner airlines to accumulate MQDs, but I don't understand how this works -- would someone please explain it to me, and explain also the what kinds of strategies you're using to find the appropriate runs? Similarly, I've seen references to folks calling, threatening to cancel their AmEx card, and getting a one-year waiver. Were those calls to Delta or to AmEx? If to Delta, then did you call the regular Diamond/Plat desk, or to another line? All advice would be very much appreciated.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
The short version is most partner flights earn MQD as a percentage of distance flown since DL does not know how much the ticket actually cost. If you look at the earning charts, you'll see that lower priced premium tickets (all premium classes: F, J, and W) often earn better on partners than equivalent itineraries on DL. However at higher prices, you're better off with DL earnings. So basically you have to do the math before you buy the ticket.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Would someone mind providing the extended-play explanation? I am still confused. Delta's description of earning MQDs on partner airlines seems cryptic at best. If I were to fly a mileage run on AeroMexico, for example, would I book the flight on AeroMexico and just enter my Delta Skymiles number? How do I do the math to calculate whether I'm better off booking on AeroMexico v. booking on Delta? Which partner airlines should I be watching for? Sorry for may seem like simplistic questions. I've been the prince of MQMs for a good while, but until now haven't had to worry about MQDs, and am learning from scratch on that measure.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:40 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
The best all-year run is going to be to JNB on VS in PE.

This is available almost all year for around $1500.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

And earns what in MQDs - and how do I calculate it?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:01 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ProfRB
LAX-LHR-JNB-LHR-JNB is 22,090 Miles flown.

https://fly.qux.us/smcalc/

You will earn 30% DL MQDs of the miles flown with VS.

22,090 x 30% is $6,627 MQDs.

Yes....you'll earn over 4x the amount your ticket cost doing this.

I do at least 2 of these runs per year.

Last edited by 355F1; Dec 23, 2017 at 4:08 pm
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:02 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Would someone mind providing the extended-play explanation? I am still confused. Delta's description of earning MQDs on partner airlines seems cryptic at best. If I were to fly a mileage run on AeroMexico, for example, would I book the flight on AeroMexico and just enter my Delta Skymiles number? How do I do the math to calculate whether I'm better off booking on AeroMexico v. booking on Delta? Which partner airlines should I be watching for? Sorry for may seem like simplistic questions. I've been the prince of MQMs for a good while, but until now haven't had to worry about MQDs, and am learning from scratch on that measure.
I haven't tried it yet, but, I read a post here about it a few days ago, that I can't seem to find at the moment . . . .

Rene <Renes Points> wrote on his blog about this <This is t he first time I have ever read his blog>

ALERT: Aeromexico MQM / MQD / SkyMiles Mileage run. ~$550 for 17k+ MQMs & SkyMiles plus $3454 MQD credit! - Renés PointsRenés Points

If I understand it correctly - - and, someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong . . . .

You book the tix on AeroMexico, for example, and enter your SkyMiles number.

There was a cheap biz class fare <gone now> from YYZ to EZE. You calculate the MQMs for the routing:

YYZ/MEX/EZE/MEX/YYZ for example = 13,198 MQMs.

An AeroMexico "I" class discounted business class fare gives you 40% of the MQMs in MQDs. In other words, 13,198 MQMs converts to $5,279 in MQDs. I think the deal a few weeks ago was YYZ to EZE in "I" class was something like $1550, if I remember correctly. So, you end up getting WAY MORE MQDs than what you paid. I think his deals were to SCL and much cheaper, that are also gone now.

I feel certain that they'll "fix" this, once it catches on, and they SURELY read FlyerTalk!
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
For VS I believe PE earns at 30% which means MQD = 30% x Total Distance Flown

This is a great way to get MQDs fast on DL and AA/UA for that matter
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:06 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Duke787
For VS I believe PE earns at 30% which means MQD = 30% x Total Distance Flown

This is a great way to get MQDs fast on DL and AA/UA for that matter
I went to JNB twice in Nov on BA to keep my AA EXP status. But they only give 20% EQDs for PE.

Both same-day turns on back to back weekends. haha

I am insane.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Definitely a good strategy for 2019 medallion. MU has business class fares are pretty cheap and earn 40% on distance flown and 200% MQM. So a run that is 25K MQMs you earn 50K MQMs and about 10,000 MQD.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by 355F1
LAX-LHR-JNB-LHR-JNB is 22,090 Miles flown.

https://fly.qux.us/smcalc/

You will earn 30% DL MQDs of the miles flown with VS.

22,090 x 30% is $6,627 MQDs.

Yes....you'll earn over 4x the amount your ticket cost doing this.

I do at least 2 of these runs per year.

How is this MR? I've looked into doing a couple of these next year and I'm curious what spending 40+ hours in PE on VS is like. Also what do you do with the 12ish hours in JNB?

OPS
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by davetravels
I haven't tried it yet, but, I read a post here about it a few days ago, that I can't seem to find at the moment . . . .

René <RenésPoints> wrote on his blog about this <This is t he first time I have ever read his blog>

ALERT: Aeromexico MQM / MQD / SkyMiles Mileage run. ~$550 for 17k+ MQMs & SkyMiles plus $3454 MQD credit! - Renés PointsRenés Points

If I understand it correctly - - and, someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong . . . .

You book the tix on AeroMexico, for example, and enter your SkyMiles number.

There was a cheap biz class fare <gone now> from YYZ to EZE. You calculate the MQMs for the routing:

YYZ/MEX/EZE/MEX/YYZ for example = 13,198 MQMs.

An AeroMexico "I" class discounted business class fare gives you 40% of the MQMs in MQDs. In other words, 13,198 MQMs converts to $5,279 in MQDs. I think the deal a few weeks ago was YYZ to EZE in "I" class was something like $1550, if I remember correctly. So, you end up getting WAY MORE MQDs than what you paid. I think his deals were to SCL and much cheaper, that are also gone now.

I feel certain that they'll "fix" this, once it catches on, and they SURELY read FlyerTalk!
Once again, unlike the BLOGS, FT kills all the best deal!

PS - You really should read my blog more... it will all become clear! ^
BenA likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by mattya9
How is this MR? I've looked into doing a couple of these next year and I'm curious what spending 40+ hours in PE on VS is like. Also what do you do with the 12ish hours in JNB?

OPS
Just did this a few weeks ago. No complaints about VS PE the recline was fine and the first 3 legs I slept fine. Staying up on the daytime flight west back to LAX was pretty rough after the fact. Went to the apartheid museum and to the botanical gardens in JNB.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:45 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Once again, unlike the BLOGS, FT kills all the best deal!

PS - You really should read my blog more... it will all become clear! ^
Well, just to follow up on your post, Rene, I just wanted to tell'ya that, when I say that, I don't read your blog, it's nothing personal. I don't read ANY blogs. I already spend FAR too much time goofing around on the internet. I probably will check it out from time to time, when I see a story posted here of interest that ties into a story on your blog. I hafto admit that, this MQD earning scheme is a GOOD one! It sure beats trying to get $250K on an Amex card <which I wasn't even going to try to do>. I wonder how long it'll take them to change it!

Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bennos
The short version is most partner flights earn MQD as a percentage of distance flown since DL does not know how much the ticket actually cost. If you look at the earning charts, you'll see that lower priced premium tickets (all premium classes: F, J, and W) often earn better on partners than equivalent itineraries on DL. However at higher prices, you're better off with DL earnings. So basically you have to do the math before you buy the ticket.
Booking on partners for low fare business and almost all PE tickets is the way to maximize MQDs, although you may lose on MQMs or come out pretty even.
I've used this approach but you need to run calculations most of the time to be sure.
For example, last summer I found a great business class fare LHR-OZ on Vietnam. The cash price of the ticket was about $2300 rt.
Booking on VN with VN flight numbers, I earned 15,998 MQMs, 23,986 RDMs, and $4,798 MQDs. The actual distance flown was 21,324. So I took a hit on MQMs and on RDMs if I'd even been able to book it on DL ticket stock. But I needed MQDs more than I needed MQMs this year.
And it seems the rules have changed for next year, or maybe even already -- the marketing or flying carrier determines whether MQDs are based on price or distance. Last month I flew DL ticketed flights to NZ -- but all flights except the US transcons were on VA, some with DL flight numbers, some with VA flight numbers. The VA flight numbers earned based on the new rules, although I thought those were effective 1/1/2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.