Wiki Posts
Search

Sky club coming to AUS 2019!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:28 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by David Ocamb
From your mouth to God's ears. As an Austin based flyer I'm stuck choosing American, United, or southwest for almost all flights due to convenience. We need a lot more point to point flights. In miss the Dallas hub and wish they'd make Austin a focus city.
Same. Also on my wishlist? A nonstop to Europe. BA's Heathrow service is apparently a roaring success — it's getting upgauged from a Dreamliner to a 747 this spring — and I would love to get corresponding flight to Paris or Amsterdam. And I don't think BA's success has gone unnoticed in Atlanta either as Delta offering a nonstop to AMS during SXSW in 2018, which feels like a test run to me, but what do I know.

I wonder if AF/KLM has a Dreamliner to spare...
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:51 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
A big annual event seems like the absolute worst time to conduct a test run.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by ndhapple
Same. Also on my wishlist? A nonstop to Europe. BA's Heathrow service is apparently a roaring success — it's getting upgauged from a Dreamliner to a 747 this spring — and I would love to get corresponding flight to Paris or Amsterdam. And I don't think BA's success has gone unnoticed in Atlanta either as Delta offering a nonstop to AMS during SXSW in 2018, which feels like a test run to me, but what do I know.

I wonder if AF/KLM has a Dreamliner to spare...
I'd love to see VS give the route a go.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rwoman
I'd love to see VS give the route a go.
I don't see two LHR flights from AUS. It's either going to be CDG or AMS. I wonder which one makes more sense. Those who know the corporate ties in the area could probably chime in better.

The main issue with starting TATL service is that DL has to commit to a wide-body right away. They can't start with a 757 and see how it goes due to lack of range. I do think that any service will be DL-operated and not KL/AF, even though a 787 would make sense.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jan 5, 2018 at 8:50 am
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Very glad to see this. As an AUS based flyer it was great when I was on UA, albeit, once I switched over to DL there was no where to go (at no cost) to get away for pre-boarding than the unknown Texas Air Gate 1 below Gate 2. Hidden gem, no one ever there, bathrooms to yourself and plenty of plugs!

AUS is crowded every time I'm in there, arriving or leaving, and forget the craziness during our overbooking of events (F1, ACL, SXSW, etc). It'll be nice to have somewhere "home" to duck into for a few minutes and hopefully more gates mean better direct flights (e.g. Chicago) for my travel needs...time will tell.

My biggest complaint is the fact the food places where the Wok and Roll was is under construction . I watched over several weeks the TSA agents/airport personnel would always seem to go there for breakfast tacos. Decided to try them myself and now know why - best ones in the building. Waffle fries in your potato and egg taco? Good business.

Last edited by charlesdemar; Jan 5, 2018 at 7:47 pm
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:37 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by WWads
I don't see two LHR flights from AUS. It's either going to be CDG or AMS. I wonder which one makes more sense. Those who know the corporate ties in the area could probably chime in better.

The main issue with starting TATL service is that DL has to commit to a wide-body right away. They can't start with a 757 and see how it goes due to lack of range. I do think that any service will be DL-operated and not KL/AF, even though a 787 would make sense.
That's a great question. My guess would be Paris, since it has stronger O&D and the major city industries are more closely aligned -- major research universities, tech, fashion and entertainment, etc. Which would be the flip of Houston, where KLM runs a 747 even during the winter because of strong oil industry demand, while AF switches down to a A330. But who knows.

And agreed on the 787-900. For the life of me, I don't entirely understand why Air France/KLM has been so slow to adopt both it (and the A350, but that's another conversation), especially seeing how BA is using it to open up new markets right and left.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:23 am

Agreed on Paris. A few of the big Austin-area tech companies have offices around France, UT Austin international office has strong ties with French universities, and entertainment industry like you said. Plus, Texas had an embassy in Paris back when it was a country.

That's a great question. My guess would be Paris, since it has stronger O&D and the major city industries are more closely aligned -- major research universities, tech, fashion and entertainment, etc. Which would be the flip of Houston, where KLM runs a 747 even during the winter because of strong oil industry demand, while AF switches down to a A330. But who knows.

And agreed on the 787-900. For the life of me, I don't entirely understand why Air France/KLM has been so slow to adopt both it (and the A350, but that's another conversation), especially seeing how BA is using it to open up new markets right and left.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

KLM has been using the 789 for awhile. Of all KLM planes the 789 is my favorite.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WWads

Actually, there will soon be 2 AUS-London flights... Norwegian will begin AUS-LGW in March 2018. So DL should definitely avoid that route. But they should consider CDG or AMS. Or TYO

Norwegian Air adding Austin-London flights | KVUE.com
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:26 pm

Burned 140k Skymiles and 132.5k Flying Blue miles for 2 Delta One RTs AUS-AMS during SxSw, would absolutely LOVE to see them add that route permanently.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ND76
AMEN!!!

I've heard that PHX is going to reopen, probably in a location different than where the club used to be (a Sky Club ambassador in LAX told me this).
I have heard the same thing. Looking at 2019 when all the airport updates are completed.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
YYZ desperately needs a SC.
The American club takes priority Pass. I only have it from the Hilton Amex, but that makes it livable.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by troyintn
The American club takes priority Pass. I only have it from the Hilton Amex, but that makes it livable.
Does it? I had no idea.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyintn
Um, you sure about that? The Priority Pass site doesn't list any AA clubs with access (AA/US ended PP relationship in 2014). There is a Plaza Premium lounge in the transborder area that takes PP.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
Confirmed: https://news.delta.com/delta-sky-clu...b-opening-2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.