Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Your experience with the Boeing 767-400?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

I'll be taking this flight from Dublin to New York (JFK) in a couple of days. I called up the office in Dublin just to find out what amenities the plane would have and they said it is "state-of-the-art", the same level as the Ethiopian flights (Boeing 787) that take off to LAX.

I was pleasantly surprised but reading the reviews seem to reassure me not to get my hopes up. Apparently, a fair number of them are pretty old and rarely cleaned. Is this true from the experience of anyone who has flown in this?

I also believe that the receptionist intentionally or unintentionally confused the plane with the newer 787.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What Delta office in Dublin would be talking about Ethiopian 787s as a reference point?

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...400er-76d.html
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
They are older and IMO the least pleasant of the Delta One cabins. That being said, its still Delta One so you'll have a good meal, nice enough bedding and pillow, and if you can get a window seat vs the middle ones, thats your best bet.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:17 pm

For a daytime flight with a companion, Delta One on the 767 is great.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by acidicsystems
I'll be taking this flight from Dublin to New York (JFK) in a couple of days. I called up the office in Dublin just to find out what amenities the plane would have and they said it is "state-of-the-art", the same level as the Ethiopian flights (Boeing 787) that take off to LAX.

I was pleasantly surprised but reading the reviews seem to reassure me not to get my hopes up. Apparently, a fair number of them are pretty old and rarely cleaned. Is this true from the experience of anyone who has flown in this?

I also believe that the receptionist intentionally or unintentionally confused the plane with the newer 787.
We flew a DL 767-400 ATL>FCO in J in early November. Quite frankly it was the worst, most uncomfortable flight in any J class seat we’ve ever had. As for food the dinner out of Atlanta was not bad but breakfast before landing in Rome was downright awful. We later flew an AF 777 ER and a DL A330-200 on our return and these were very comfortable. We will avoid another 767-400 for a long haul.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
They are older and IMO the least pleasant of the Delta One cabins. That being said, its still Delta One so you'll have a good meal, nice enough bedding and pillow, and if you can get a window seat vs the middle ones, thats your best bet.
Originally Posted by emrdoc
For a daytime flight with a companion, Delta One on the 767 is great.
Originally Posted by Randyk47
We flew a DL 767-400 ATL>FCO in J in early November. Quite frankly it was the worst, most uncomfortable flight in any J class seat we’ve ever had. As for food the dinner out of Atlanta was not bad but breakfast before landing in Rome was downright awful. We later flew an AF 777 ER and a DL A330-200 on our return and these were very comfortable. We will avoid another 767-400 for a long haul.
Why are we assuming this in Delta One?
ijgordon, KBMIFlyer and jinglish like this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
imo worst thing about the 764 in D1 is the lack of a forward lav
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Why are we assuming this in Delta One?
If it's not D1, the 767-400 isn't too bad of an aircraft. Not state of the art, but still okay. 2-3-2 seating config is pleasant in Y. The IFE screen/system is a bit old though...

IME, the level of cleaning depends on the cleaning team, not necessarily the type of aircraft. However, some older aircraft tend to have more food bits/crumbs stuck in various cracks and crevices (which are a pain for the cleaning crew to remove).
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Flying on two 764s tomorrow in F (MCO-ATL-DEN) and will report back on the condition of the birds. The last time I flew on one back in October it was pretty beat up inside and in need of a mod yesterday.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Flying on two 764s tomorrow in F (MCO-ATL-DEN) and will report back on the condition of the birds. The last time I flew on one back in October it was pretty beat up inside and in need of a mod yesterday.
Wow, it's been almost a decade since Delta has sent a 767 to DEN. Good catch.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Wow, it's been almost a decade since Delta has sent a 767 to DEN. Good catch.
It's 2x daily for the Christmas season. I believe that DL sent one there last Christmas season as well but only 1x daily.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL PM
Other than the cabin config, is there any difference significant difference between 767-300 and 767-400 in J? I assume the seats are the same coffin seats. I ask because we're on a 764 (J) on a return from Nice in the spring and while we're familiar with J on the 763, we haven't flown the 764. We're in 1A and 1D since the lavs are behind and our feet are big.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by dalehill
Other than the cabin config, is there any difference significant difference between 767-300 and 767-400 in J? I assume the seats are the same coffin seats. I ask because we're on a 764 (J) on a return from Nice in the spring and while we're familiar with J on the 763, we haven't flown the 764. We're in 1A and 1D since the lavs are behind and our feet are big.
There is no difference in the seats other than them being a bit older on the 764s.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
The only one I have been on I would describe the J cabin as an outdated dump.
The bathroom in back is weird.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
If both forward J lavs (there’s still two, yes?) are blocked for the personal use of the crew, leaving two in the back to share with half the Y cabin, then I’d avoid the 764.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.