Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Your experience with the Boeing 767-400?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your experience with the Boeing 767-400?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sleuth
If both forward J lavs (there’s still two, yes?) are blocked for the personal use of the crew, leaving two in the back to share with half the Y cabin, then I’d avoid the 764.
There are no forward lavs on the 764 at all. There use to be one back when it was in a domestic configuration about 10 years ago but when they modded it with flat-bed seats the forward lav was removed.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Flew on the 764 in Y on LHRJFK right before Thanksgiving. C+ seats were fine (especially since I had both to myself and was the only person in C+ with an empty seat) but the TV screens are awful compared to the 763 / A330s / 752s (all of which I've flown this year on TATLs / TPACs/ TCONs) and they have a more limited selection.

If given the choice I actively avoid the 764 for that reason alone but in the case above the timing was more important than equipment.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
Originally Posted by acidicsystems
I'll be taking this flight from Dublin to New York (JFK) in a couple of days. I called up the office in Dublin just to find out what amenities the plane would have and they said it is "state-of-the-art", the same level as the Ethiopian flights (Boeing 787) that take off to LAX.

I was pleasantly surprised but reading the reviews seem to reassure me not to get my hopes up. Apparently, a fair number of them are pretty old and rarely cleaned. Is this true from the experience of anyone who has flown in this?

I also believe that the receptionist intentionally or unintentionally confused the plane with the newer 787.
The 767-400's have the same D1 seats as 767-300ER's but they are a couple years older. I've seen some that were scratched up a bit from normal wear and tear but they are all cleaned after each flight like all other DL aircraft following a long haul flight.

Some people complain that the seats are too narrow. I'm 5' 11" and 165 lbs. and it's fine for me and I've always been able to sleep well in this seat. Unlike the 767-300ER the D1 restrooms are behind the cabin. Compared to other DL aircraft the seat is better than the current 777 and worse than the A330 seat. I don't have any personal experience with the A350.

If you're flying in coach that is DL's best long haul arrangement. It has wider seats in a 2-3-2 layout. The 777 also has wide seats in a 3-3-3 layout. The A350 also has 3-3-3 layout but it's a narrower cabin so either the seats are narrower and/or the aisle is narrower.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I was on two flights in 2017 in J on the 767-400; SAN-ATL (got the last upgrade seat (10A) with an RUC); and MXP-ATL (my wife and I were able to score two mileage upgrades to the middle seats in row 1). I enjoyed both flights. I thought the seats were comfortable enough; the MXP-ATL flight had the best food of any flight I took in 2017.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:30 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
The A350 also has 3-3-3 layout but it's a narrower cabin so either the seats are narrower and/or the aisle is narrower.
My bet that it's the seats, since the aisle is sized to permit evacuation
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Flew on one in the back of the bus on a 50 minute MCO to ATL flight. The cabin was clean, seats were comfortable enough, wide, and offered PTV/USB power.

The one thing I was unpleasently surprised with was the legroom. Now I'm 5' 8" and even I had trouble with the legroom, to the point I put my backpack into the overhead bin. I survived due to the shortness of the flight and the fact I had two seats to myself, but my goodness I would not want to be on one on a full 10 hour flight to Europe, especially if the person in front of me reclined.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The 764 was a decent product 10 years ago. Today it's definitely something to avoid. Fine for domestic flying, but not a chance I'm flying intercontinental on one.

In Y I'm sure it's fine and pretty much the same as anything else in Y.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Currently sitting on N842MH in 1A and this bird is in a bit better shape than the last 764 I was on but this one is still pretty tired inside. The people across from me in 1B and C are complaining that their IFE isn’t working.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:33 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Currently sitting on N842MH in 1A and this bird is in a bit better shape than the last 764 I was on but this one is still pretty tired inside. The people across from me in 1B and C are complaining that their IFE isn’t working.
Well I hope they can survive the 30 minute flight

probably less than 20 minutes of actual viewing time given that the system freezes during announcements, the four hours worth of Delta commercials they make you watch , etc.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
764 and state of art of opposites.

As to dirty - maybe, maybe not. As things get old, they just "feel dirty".

767's are old workhorses. If not in first, I really try to book them so we can get two seats on either side and not have to share.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
This is usually the type of plane they fly JFK-FRA and it's quite worn and not a great hard product. When I first started flying on these a few years ago it was pretty nice, but really in need of a refresh.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on a 763 in business to Europe earlier this year and it was fine. I like the odd window seats.
Am doing LHR-JFK soon; how does the DL 764 compare to Virgin business class? Haven't been on VS in a decade and am not a huge fan of the herringbone seats that barely recline and face into the cabin. Should I stick with DL? I think it would be a 333 on VS.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by acidicsystems
I'll be taking this flight from Dublin to New York (JFK) in a couple of days. I called up the office in Dublin just to find out what amenities the plane would have and they said it is "state-of-the-art", the same level as the Ethiopian flights (Boeing 787) that take off to LAX.

I was pleasantly surprised but reading the reviews seem to reassure me not to get my hopes up. Apparently, a fair number of them are pretty old and rarely cleaned. Is this true from the experience of anyone who has flown in this?

I also believe that the receptionist intentionally or unintentionally confused the plane with the newer 787.
I went to DUB in October and flew the 767-400 both ways from JFK. I had never been on the aircraft before and had heard stories the 764 is run down and in need of a cabin refresh. Boy were those people correct. Aside from 2-3-2 seating there's not much to write home about with these birds. I will second what others have already said in that the D1 seats are average at best, the Comfort+ and regular economy seats are average at best, and the entertainment screens are old and frustratingly (most of the time) tough to navigate/control. I will avoid this aircraft as much as possible for as long as DL keeps them.

As for a comparison to the 767-300, in my opinion, I know they're almost identical but for some reason the 300 model is much more comfortable, in my opinion and I have flow in all 3 classes on both aircraft. Just my two cents to add.

OPS
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mattya9
As for a comparison to the 767-300, in my opinion, I know they're almost identical but for some reason the 300 model is much more comfortable, in my opinion and I have flow in all 3 classes on both aircraft. Just my two cents to add.

OPS
I think big difference on the 763, at least in Y and C+, is that when they refreshed the cabin they put in the bigger, higher resolution PTVs which make a world of difference. Give me a 763 any day of the 764 at least in Y/C+
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
There are no forward lavs on the 764 at all. There use to be one back when it was in a domestic configuration about 10 years ago but when they modded it with flat-bed seats the forward lav was removed.
Even worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.