Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VDB compensation not as expected

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: none
If anyone tries to post a response without knowing the true facts, don't complain if you're not taken seriously.

We still don't have an accurate account of what happened. But don't let that stop you speculating.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This.

OP has not returned with the simplest of details.
CPMaverick and bonoman like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Often1
This.
OP has not returned with the simplest of details.
This is common when someone complains about the experience of another person. They get on here with half the facts, and then once the questions roll in, they go quiet.

Being that it has been escalated to corporate, I'd say the odds are pretty good that the kid signed the document. If he did that without reading it, then lesson learned (maybe).
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I’m still confused as to how the $400 in flight credit is useless to either the son or the parent. As a 20 year old, I’d have been dreaming of the places I could go if someone gave me $400 towards a flight! Heck, I still dream now!
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Allan38103
WOW. We have several posters writing about what they think the OP really meant when he related what his son told him about an encounter with the GA. And from all of this we can't get a clear understanding of what happened??

Wouldn't it be nice if somehow the transaction would have been put in writing.?
Guess you or the other posters were in on the conversation. No one, including OP knows exactly what was exchanged. A simple misunderstanding of a word, or asking the question phrased wrong and it becomes a whole different discussion.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DF136BRC

Not true. Gift cards have not been rolled out to all markets yet. Atlanta just started testing them this week and Detroit isn’t starting until after the new year.
I've gotten them it ATL multiple times. The agents may default to one over the other, but they are available in all markets. DL didn't create a whole website to redeem just for one or two stations.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Allan38103
If anyone tries to post a response without knowing the true facts, don't complain if you're not taken seriously.

We still don't have an accurate account of what happened. But don't let that stop you speculating.
This is FlyerTalk, we don't need facts.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
I’m still confused as to how the $400 in flight credit is useless to either the son or the parent. As a 20 year old, I’d have been dreaming of the places I could go if someone gave me $400 towards a flight! Heck, I still dream now!
Because Daddy will give him award tickets. Why use money?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

OK, OP back here.

First of all, the reason why there is no real use for the future flight credit is because as someone astutely noted "Daddy will give award tickets". Except that would be Mommy. I have more than enough miles to last him though grad school and then some. Of course, we will use future flight credit to buy a ticket. I would not have it go to waste, but the $400 GC would have been his to keep, while I am not going to "refund" him $400 when I buy his ticket using credit, because as I said I would normally use miles with about $5 in fees per ticket.

I asked him again if he signed anything on paper or electronically and he maintained that he did not.

The more we thought about it, the more we think that perhaps he misunderstood. He is so used to accepting VDB in MSP where all they offer is GCs, so when they said they will send him email, he assumed that it would be for a GC link. I told him this should be lesson learned and he should always ask for clarifications. But he is young, not very experienced traveler, and not as aware of all the nuances. As I said, he had to wake up really early to get to airport and had he understood that the offer was for future flight credit he would have never agreed to switch to a later flight. Especially, since at the time he accepted they were not even sure how they would get him home (there was talk of having him getting a taxi to ride to ATL and then catching a flight from ATL to MSP). He eventually got lucky because someone has missed their flight BHM=DTW and he was routed through DTW by taking that person's seat (He said it was the very first time in 3 years that he saw security lines in BHM be very long).

Ideally, we would have liked Delta to exchange future flight credit for GC, but given the uncertainty what exactly was said, I am not sure if it is worth pursuing this further. I told him he should save his complaining for important stuff. And now, after he calmed down (the phone agent on corporate line was VERY rude - I was listening on the speaker phone), he will follow my advice.
DiverDave likes this.

Last edited by DiamondInTheRough; Dec 24, 2017 at 9:17 am
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
OP, thank you for coming back to let us know additional details.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough
OK, OP back here.

First of all, the reason why there is no real use for the future flight credit is because as someone astutely noted "Daddy will give award tickets". Except that would be Mommy. I have more than enough miles to last him though grad school and then some. Of course, we will use future flight credit to buy a ticket. I would not have it go to waste, but the $400 GC would have been his to keep, while I am not going to "refund" him $400 when I buy his ticket using credit, because as I said I would normally use miles with about $5 in fees per ticket.

I asked him again if he signed anything on paper or electronically and he maintained that he did not.

The more we thought about it, the more we think that perhaps he misunderstood. He is so used to accepting VDB in MSP where all they offer is GCs, so when they said they will send him email, he assumed that it would be for a GC link. I told him this should be lesson learned and he should always ask for clarifications. But he is young, not very experienced traveler, and not as aware of all the nuances. As I said, he had to wake up really early to get to airport and had he understood that the offer was for future flight credit he would have never agreed to switch to a later flight. Especially, since at the time he accepted they were not even sure how they would get him home (there was talk of having him getting a taxi to ride to ATL and then catching a flight from ATL to MSP). He eventually got lucky because someone has missed their flight BHM=DTW and he was routed through DTW by taking that person's seat (He said it was the very first time in 3 years that he saw security lines in BHM be very long).

Ideally, we would have liked Delta to exchange future flight credit for GC, but given the uncertainty what exactly was said, I am not sure if it is worth pursuing this further. I told him he should save his complaining for important stuff. And now, after he calmed down (the phone agent on corporate line was VERY rude - I was listening on the speaker phone), he will follow my advice.
You could always make him earn his own way. As another option, the next time you take a trip as a family, you can book his ticket with miles, then call in and book your matching itinerary using his certificate. Or book his tickets using PWM and then you can use the certificate. Using PWM, you can get him some MQM get him $400 in RDM, and still not have to pay much cash.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough
My 20 year old son agreed to VDB out of BHM airport last week. In exchange he was promised an email where he can choose his compensation in the amount of $400. Instead he received future flight credit in that amount (no email, we found it in his wallet in skymiles account). He has no use for this, as I buy all his tickets using my miles.

I talked to GA in MSP this week when I traveled about the situation and they told me to call CS, which is what he did. CS told him to talk to corporate. He just got off the phone with corporate and basically they told him that what he got is not negotiable and that he signed a document that he agrees to compensation. When he challenged them regarding this, the person on the line just kept repeating: this is not negotiable, take it or leave it.

He would have never agreed to be inconvenienced and delayed for $400 future flight credit. It was a very early flight he had to wake up at 3 am to take and he wanted to get home ASAP. As I said, there is no value to him in this nor is it to me.

My question is, does he have a recourse. He wanted to complain to DOT, but I told him to hold his horses before we find out if it is even under DOT purview. I am sure if he complains to Delta, they will throw some miles at him which once again will be useless. Any advice how and if to proceed?
I find this rather interesting as I don't think BHM isn't even an airport that offers gift cards. Can anyone confirm they received a gift card out of BHM before? Gift cards are only in select markets and usually hubs.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I've gotten them it ATL multiple times. The agents may default to one over the other, but they are available in all markets. DL didn't create a whole website to redeem just for one or two stations.
Of course, DAL didn’t create them for just a few stations, but all stations were not rolled out at the same time. Perhaps you may have confused Atlanta with another station. Atlanta, as a station, literally just started them on ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​December 20th, so there is zero percent chance that you have gotten multiple gift cards from an Atlanta agent unless you have flown/volunteered multiple times in the last 5 days.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:35 pm

Furthermore, in this situation, the OP’s son would have only signed something if he would have been possibly involuntarily denied boarding.

If he had a seat that he gave up, then there is no paper trail or anything to sign. The only thing that prints is the form with all the rules and regulations after compensation is issued.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DF136BRC
Of course, DAL didn’t create them for just a few stations, but all stations were not rolled out at the same time. Perhaps you may have confused Atlanta with another station. Atlanta, as a station, literally just started them on ​​​​​​​December 20th, so there is zero percent chance that you have gotten multiple gift cards from an Atlanta agent unless you have flown/volunteered multiple times in the last 5 days.
This comes up periodically. Someone argues its brand new or just being rolled out. Then one or two others point out they've gotten them before at that station. All stations have had the option to issue as GC for awhile. They may default to voucher or GC in general, however all stations have been able to issue VDB as GC for awhile. Yes, they were from ATL. In fact my 1st 2018 flight was paid using AMEX cards I selected from an ATL VDB IN September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.