Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone else getting rid of the reserve card with no waiver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else getting rid of the reserve card with no waiver?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by zeebanker
BusTrav, I'm also conflicted about the AMEX reserve card and have been debating ditching it. Can you please explain why getting a $700 ticket free is not sufficient to offset the annual fee? That and the SkyClub entry when traveling domestic are the only two reasons to keep it. Thx.
I believe the point was that if it causes you to take a trip you otherwise would not have taken, just for the sake of using the cert, then it hasn't actually saved you money. If you were going to anyway, then sure.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by andyh64000
My guess is that when Delta and Amex negotiated their deal Amex put something in the contract that says Delta has to allow a MQD waiver to Reserve card holders. Delta wanted to get rid of it but didn't want to be in breach so they simply raised the amount to an absurd level.
However, in the process, DL ends giving DM status to those willing to do $250,000 in MS. These are probably DL's least desirable elites on average, or in other words, the customers that DL would most like to fire as the cost of their DM perks would far exceed the profits they contribute to DL's bottom line. Collateral damage of sorts, I guess.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I’ll be dumping my DL platinum card next year in favor of a proper Amex platinum card with the loss of the waiver, and with Sky Club membership becoming something I have to spend a choice benefit on (and something I can’t use when flying other airlines).

I’ll miss the convenience of the MQM boost as I refocus on shorter, expensive trips rather than longer economy trips. But I’ve got enough accumulated rollover to make things relatively cozy for a few years to come...
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, in the process, DL ends giving DM status to those willing to do $250,000 in MS. These are probably DL's least desirable elites on average, or in other words, the customers that DL would most like to fire as the cost of their DM perks would far exceed the profits they contribute to DL's bottom line. Collateral damage of sorts, I guess.
So it's a good way to sort them out then, right?

Anyway, I'm guessing most of these DMs don't really fly too much. Good at MSing; not so good a traveling.

I've worked to get lifetime status on AA back in the day, and now that I have it, I basically never use it.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by josephstern
So it's a good way to sort them out then, right?

Anyway, I'm guessing most of these DMs don't really fly too much. Good at MSing; not so good a traveling.

I've worked to get lifetime status on AA back in the day, and now that I have it, I basically never use it.
If they take a $200 PM and $200 DM voucher and then take $200 off each of two RT deeply discounted coach tickets TPAC or TATL and use their four GUCs to upgrade everything (for the DM and companion, DL would be giving out roughly ten thousand dollars of perks if we take the difference between a cheap coach fare and a nonsale Z or I fare for two people.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If they take a $200 PM and $200 DM voucher and then take $200 off each of two RT deeply discounted coach tickets TPAC or TATL and use their four GUCs to upgrade everything (for the DM and companion, DL would be giving out roughly ten thousand dollars of perks if we take the difference between a cheap coach fare and a nonsale Z or I fare for two people.
I'd put the likely cost of those seats closer to $3K each, but I see your point.

At the same time, Amex got a lot of charge volume out of it and used a lot to pay Delta for points at a valuation Delta likes.

This is also, of course, the optimal situation. How many people will try, get to $100K, and bail? And how many will make it who are also moneymakers for Delta outside this?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:54 pm

I'd put the likely cost of those seats closer to $3K each, but I see your point.

At the same time, Amex got a lot of charge volume out of it and used a lot to pay Delta for points at a valuation Delta likes.

This is also, of course, the optimal situation. How many people will try, get to $100K, and bail? And how many will make it who are also moneymakers for Delta outside this?
We already have people with four DL AmEx cards (personal and business Reserve plus personal and business Plat) who do MS to get 100,000 MQMs. If status is so important to them (even though they apparently fly little, at least on paid revenue tickets) and they have the time, skills, and other requirements to do lots and lots of MS, then going for the $250,000 probably isn't a big deal as it's only $30,000 more. We're talking about a small set of people, but they're customers DL wants to lose. I'm surprised that DL didn't do the math and analytics more carefully before setting the $250,000 waiver as it's far too easy for those already getting 100,000 MQMs per year from AmEx (and more if they're getting some gifted or traded ("bought") from another person's Reserve card).
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So that's four annual fees with overlapping benefits also. I really don't think Amex and Delta mind this type of customer.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:50 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
So that's four annual fees with overlapping benefits also. I really don't think Amex and Delta mind this type of customer.
I’d have to agree with this. ^^
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
My original plan was to cancel the Reserve card because I no longer care about maintaining status with DL any longer. This year I will end with approximately 120,000 MQM and will rollover 45,000 as a Platinum next year. I will have more than $60,000 in charges on the card next year (earning 30,000 MQM) which means I can basically maintain Platinum for two years even if I don't fly DL at all ever again. As a result I will make a decision about what to do with the Reserve card this time next year.

I'm not saying I won't fly Delta anymore, though. It just means they have to have the best combination of schedule and price and will no long have priority for the purpose of maintaining status.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum and Marriott Platinum Elite
I spent $8k flying Delta this year and only earn 61k mqm and was able to hit Platinum bc of the reserve card mqm bonus. I don't travel for work but I do fly a lot to visit family and take vacations here and there. I'm wondering at how Diamond folks can hit the 125k mqm w/o spending $15k flying and have to rely on the reserve card waiver. Must be a ton of rollover miles.

Last edited by DeltaAddict; Dec 22, 2017 at 8:41 pm
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KKinLA
My original plan was to cancel the Reserve card because I no longer care about maintaining status with DL any longer. This year I will end with approximately 120,000 MQM and will rollover 45,000 as a Platinum next year. I will have more than $60,000 in charges on the card next year (earning 30,000 MQM) which means I can basically maintain Platinum for two years even if I don't fly DL at all ever again. As a result I will make a decision about what to do with the Reserve card this time next year.

I'm not saying I won't fly Delta anymore, though. It just means they have to have the best combination of schedule and price and will no long have priority for the purpose of maintaining status.
Don't forget that you'll either need MQDs in 2019, or a waiver via card, if you want your rollover MQMs to get you Platinum.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by DeltaAddict
I spent $8k flying Delta this year and only earn 61k mqm and was able to hit Platinum bc of the reserve card mqm bonus. I don't travel for work but I do fly a lot to visit family and take vacations here and there. I'm wondering at how Diamond folks can hit the 125k mqm w/o spending $15k flying and have to rely on the reserve card waiver. Must be a ton of rollover miles.
Previously (IMHO and in my experiences) getting DL flights with long flights and cheap CPM (~2-4cents). Due to 2019 Medallion year requirements for DM, its all about PARTNER flights (AM/MU) and looking for biz class deals and getting the MQD (cuz those are based on miles flown times 30-40% = Delta MQD requirements & 150-200% MQM's) Recent AeroMexico deals in the MR section of FT have allowed me to meet MQD that I would not have been able to come close to otherwise. For less than 5k (I "splurged" on one of them) Certainly is a different mindset this coming year due lack of reasonable MQD waiver via Reserve card. my 2cents
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:41 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

Originally Posted by DeltaAddict

MDJennings likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:42 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
This thread is extremely heartwarming for those of us who actually put the miles (and MQDs) in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.