Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone else getting rid of the reserve card with no waiver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

I am going to dump the card I think. $250K spend for a waiver is beyond absurd. They should have at least given credit for x amount of spend (like $1K for every $10K). I am sure I am not the only card holder who won't hit the spend threshold and resigned to just being platinum anyway (and I can hit that spend)...so why not just carry the regular Amex platinum with many more benefits (and still includes the Sky Club) for the same price?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I am going to dump the card I think. $250K spend for a waiver is beyond absurd. They should have at least given credit for x amount of spend (like $1K for every $10K). I am sure I am not the only card holder who won't hit the spend threshold and resigned to just being platinum anyway (and I can hit that spend)...so why not just carry the regular Amex platinum with many more benefits (and still includes the Sky Club) for the same price?
I get your pain. Don't forget DELTA AMEX 25k spend (not 1/4 million) is still "A" Medallion UG tie breaker (at all levels per Delta.dumb).

Having said that partner biz (cheap) tickets is still the winner next year. I will spend NET $1500 for 14k MQD as well as pulling in 70k MQM/RDM. That, plus normal flights, will mean I am Diamond for 2019. Those who over spend (their employers money clearly) and those who are smart mileage runners win next year. Those are the facts.
Gindernation likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I’m keeping mine, as the value I got out of the companion certificate this year almost exactly offset the annual fee.
hnewman likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There's been some discussion, yes.

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There's been some discussion, yes.

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000
OP is asking a specific question which is valid outside that thread.

I had a personal and business card until 2 weeks ago and dropped the personal one. The companion cert just wasn't being used enough on that alone and most times it saved $200 tops anyway (BTW, you are not saving if your buying tickets just to get the 2 for 1 ). The $250K waiver was a huge incentive to dump that card. It's also a small way to tell Delta I'm not pleased.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Admittedly I've never been Diamond, but based on anecdotal evidence and the benefits I receive as a Platinum Medallion I have always been happy staying at Platinum and rolling over miles, and the nice thing now is I don't even have to worry about hitting Diamond.

(That being said, I'm in the position this year where I have earned too many miles and may hit Diamond anyway, which means I'll have little rollover ... anyone who might want to trade a 15k MQM boost this year for one next year, let me know!).
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I'm keeping mine also. I hit my MQDs this year. I also like the MQM bonus and RDM bonus they offer.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
OP is asking a specific question which is valid outside that thread.
There are a fair number of posts in that thread with people saying they would or had canceled their DL AMEXes (55 hits for the word "cancel" though granted some of those are replies).

The thread discusses other stuff besides just that, but that doesn't mean the question would be out of place there.

I understand most people probably don't want to wander through a 98-page thread if they weren't in it at the time though

I'm almost certainly dropping my DL Plat, but I also plan to be switching most of my flying over to UA this year.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I got a $400 credit after complaining so I will keep mine one more year and then dump it.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by Renes Points
I get your pain. Don't forget DELTA AMEX 25k spend (not 1/4 million) is still "A" Medallion UG tie breaker (at all levels per Delta.dumb).

Having said that partner biz (cheap) tickets is still the winner next year. I will spend NET $1500 for 14k MQD as well as pulling in 70k MQM/RDM. That, plus normal flights, will mean I am Diamond for 2019. Those who over spend (their employers money clearly) and those who are smart mileage runners win next year. Those are the facts.
Wow, what partner?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Zorak
I also plan to be switching most of my flying over to UA this year.
wow, you're finally giving in to the "network", huh? LOL.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Wow, what partner?
Areomexico. Blogged it as well as many others. There have been some amazing deals as of late.
rizrizriz likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:15 am

Wow, what partner?
Yep, flying on a partner (in particular in Biz, AreoMexico in this case) I figured was the only way gonna get DM in 2019 (I would have had the MQM's by 1 Jan 2018, but not the MQD's) so I am spending a bit more than what @Renespoints mentioned, but will also have DM for another year. There was some great deals to LIM and SCL about a week ago.
Regarding Reserve, I will keep it this coming year and see what happens later I guess.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
wow, you're finally giving in to the "network", huh? LOL.
At least initially. If it sucks I'll come crawling back
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
I'm downgrading both my personal and my business to platinum delta amex cards, but I won't put any spend on them. I'm keeping them because I can come out ahead on the companion certs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.