Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DELTA Discontinue west coast shuttle service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Delta will be discontinuing their West Coast Shuttle flights as of January 4, 2018, as they rebrand them to regular domestic service, which essentially means no more complimentary drinks in the main cabin, among some other changes.

Wondering what’s changing? Below are current Delta West Coast Shuttle offerings:
  • Check-in as close as 30 minutes prior to departure
  • Dedicated check-in counters exclusively for Shuttle customers
  • Gates located near security
  • Complimentary newspapers
  • Complimentary onboard snacks provided by Luvo, a California-based lifestyle food brand, offering great-tasting, good-for-you food
  • Complimentary beverages in-flight, including craft beer and wine in all classes of service

Delta Shuttle Routes being discontinued as of 1/4/18:
  • Los Angeles and San Francisco
  • Los Angeles and Seattle
  • Seattle and San Francisco
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
That's really too bad. It was really nice while it lasted. In terms of onboard service, DL was way ahead of the pack. I guess it was not translating to better sales?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
The 2 seattle routes are saturated with AS flights and perhaps the Extras weren’t showing any ROI.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
The 2 seattle routes are saturated with AS flights and perhaps the Extras weren’t showing any ROI.
I always pick DL because the free drinks on the 2 hours flight. Also, Spirit Airline just cancelled LAX/SFO TO SEATTLE
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:59 pm

I'm pretty sure that nobody every choose to fly Delta because of the Luvo wrap. That being said, the SFO-LAX market is so saturated with basically every airline in the country that I appreciated DL trying to do something to stand out. I do think that if they could have had better on time performance that this would have been more successful.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:00 pm

I also wonder if this means that they won't feel pressure to provide beverage service to the whole cabin any more due to the length of the flight on SFO-LAX. With the shuttle service they kind of had to do it unless there was bad turbulence.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: DL DM 2mm, AA EXP mm, UA SL, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
I hope that delta's discontinuing the shuttle is evidence that Alaska Airlines is winning the Battle for Seattle.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by salsa
I hope that delta's discontinuing the shuttle is evidence that Alaska Airlines is winning the Battle for Seattle.
LAX-SFO is being upgauged from E75 to 737 and 717 - somewhat less frequency but more seats in total. That's not a sign of losing.
eeb100k likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
LAX-SFO is being upgauged from E75 to 737 and 717 - somewhat less frequency but more seats in total. That's not a sign of losing.
This.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
already being discussed and confirmed here: Delta end the West Coast Shuttle?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
From Q2

LAXSEA
DL 143
AS 131
VX 128
AA (Compass) 153
AA (mainline) 132

LAXSFO
DL main line 130
DL (skywest) 145
UA 151
AA (Compass) 163
VX 136
WN 123

SFOSEA
AS 159
VX 165
UA 194
DL (mainline) 163
DL (Skywest) 182
DL (Compass) 178

Now consider DL cost are 25% higher than AS and the fares they are getting on mainline is 0 to 10% higher than AS/VX . The fares they are getting on regional is the lowest amongst the legacies and lower than UA main line out of SFO. They are probably least profitable of all operators on these routes.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: DL-PM
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if DL brought this back in a few years time... Several of the service points that Delta is offering on these Shuttle routes will be unavailable due to operational constraints during the LAX terminal renovations (namely closer gates and possibly check-in). Additionally, the reduction in frequency is certainly because of the impending renovations the prospect of providing the onboard service that they were advertising is much more difficult on the 717s and 738s specifically for LAX-SFO.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tphuang
They are probably least profitable of all operators on these routes.
I will repeat myself: Adding capacity is not a sign of losing. Switching capacity to lower CASM aircraft (see Investor Day slide 41) is not losing. It's employing a strategy DL has been using since 2009.

If you want to do a stage-length-adjusted, aircraft-adjusted CASM vs. fare comparison for Delta & Delta Connection's ~6,000 daily flights and can show these 60 flights are among Delta's weakest xxx, go for it.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I have flown "Shuttle" LAX-SEA or vice versa a few times lately and I thought it had already been discontinued to be honest. There was absolutely zero reference to the flight being Delta Shuttle at all both out of SEA and out of LAX and they didn't go from "dedicated gates" or have any distinguishment from any other domestic flight. That said, I was either in paid F or my upgrade cleared into F on all flights, so I don't know if comp drinks and luvo wraps were being offered in the main cabin.

I thought the concept was good, but as others have mentioned, a lot of gate issues in LAX and makes sense to cut frequency but upgauge capacity.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:15 am

Reduced frequency is a downgrade for LAX-SFO even if they go back to using mainline a/c. Remember that this route was all 717 for a while as a shuttle route. One of the reasons high frequency is important is for the ability to fly connecting flights without long layovers. Being able to not spend too much time in LAX or SEA helps makes being an SFO based DL flyer doable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.