Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Trip Delay on Chase Reserve and new ticket [ATL power forcing delays]

Old Dec 18, 17, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I'm not sure where to post this question. Please move to a proper forum as you see fit.

I used the Reserve card to purchase airline tickets. Yesterday's power outage in ATL caused my Delta flight to be grounded at the point of origin (MTJ). Checking news sources while still in Jamaica, I made a decision to purchase another ticket at the departure gate (different airline, different connecting city in the U.S.) and not take a risk of getting stuck for two days.

The flight was delayed over 18 hours. I would have spent a night in MTJ (not a horrible thing) and then probably another night in ATL. So in hind sight, the decision I made was good...

However... Who is most likely to cover the cost of the new ticket I bought? Chase Reserve covers Trip Delay. But it *probably* doesn't cover new tickets? Delta, they will probably refund the unused part of the original ticket. Unlikely anything else?

Ideas?

Thanks!
tomasz.
Old Dec 19, 17, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Neither, you made the decision on your own. A refund from DL is appropriate with maybe some additional miles as a gesture for the headache but the power outage was more than just a DL affair.
Old Dec 19, 17, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are entitled to a refund from DL because it did not operate the flight. Has nothing to do with fault. Do I presume that DL refused to rebook you on the other carrier?

You then chose to purchase a ticket on another carrier. The difference is on you unless you can find a provision, which some high end individual policies have, which permits up to a given dollar amount for a new ticket.
Old Dec 22, 17, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'm split on where to move this as the OP has a CC with possible protection. But the overall issue was with DL, so we'll move this to the DL forum for now.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Dec 22, 17, 9:45 am

Looking at the Chase policies, I think you are mostly out of luck as they don't seem to cover alternative travel arrangements as a recourse for a delayed trip. On the other hand they would have covered up to $500 in hotels and meal cost if you would have actually been stuck, so you could potentially try to claim the difference between the Delta ticket and your new ticket under the theory that you're actually saving them money by doing so. No harm in trying at least.

As others have noted, Delta owes you a refund for the portion of your ticket that wasn't used due to the cancellation.
Old Dec 22, 17, 11:11 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Seems like moving this to a chase or credit card forum would have been better, since this is about their policies, not delta's.
Old Dec 22, 17, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Seems like moving this to a chase or credit card forum would have been better, since this is about their policies, not delta's.
Well, it's about both since one of the things we all agree on here is that Delta owes OP a refund for the unused flights.
Old Dec 22, 17, 11:38 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Yeah, that part isn't in dispute at all, so there's not much value to be added from the DL forum.
Old Dec 22, 17, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's really about travel insurance in general.

The key is to know and have read what coverage you have before you travel. Once you know that you can plan accordingly when you travel. It cuts both ways. Get stuck with a family of 4 for 3 days and you would hate to later learn that you could have had 2 rooms reimbursed and conversely you hate to presume that and find out it was only one.
Old Jan 26, 18, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies. Delta did refund the unused portion of the ticket and I've also received a bonus of 7500 miles as a good gesture.

Jordyn, I will try to submit a claim to Chase, as you've suggested, but I'm not optimistic. I've saved Delta money (they would have covered my hotel in MTJ and then in ATL the next day) and all they could offer was 7500 bonus miles.
Old Jan 26, 18, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
That is one way of looking at it. Another is that they were unable to uphold the contract that you and delta entered into when you purchased the ticket and therefore would be required to cover your hotel & reasonable other costs as per the COC but instead you chose to cancel and be refunded the unused portion of the ticket. They gave you a good will gesture because the whole thing was bad PR for Delta since they're ATL centered. That's the difference between the airline screwing something up (making things good/compensation), operations wholly outside their control (weather) and things such as operational limitations (your situation) where they have a duty of care.

Originally Posted by tomaszp View Post
Thank you for all your replies. Delta did refund the unused portion of the ticket and I've also received a bonus of 7500 miles as a good gesture.

Jordyn, I will try to submit a claim to Chase, as you've suggested, but I'm not optimistic. I've saved Delta money (they would have covered my hotel in MTJ and then in ATL the next day) and all they could offer was 7500 bonus miles.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: