MQD rollover?

Old Dec 17, 17, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
MQD rollover?

Given Delta’s focus on revenue / yield / RSMs, wouldn’t rollover MQDs be something that would make a lot of sense to them? For example, if I had an opportunity to book a December flight in delta one at $8k vs a comparable flight on another airline, perhaps I would take that Delta flight that would be a very high revenue sale for Delta that I may not have taken but for the MQD rollover?
Old Dec 17, 17, 9:32 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And while they are at it, why not have rollover MQS as well? Sure, they could roll all those over, but you'd be adding even more complexity to an already very complex system. At this point, neither of the other two US legacies have chosen to match DL with rollover qualifying miles, so I'd say they don't see the need to further differentiate themselves with the additional complexity of rolling over more types of points.
Old Dec 17, 17, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
And while they are at it, why not have rollover MQS as well? Sure, they could roll all those over, but you'd be adding even more complexity to an already very complex system. At this point, neither of the other two US legacies have chosen to match DL with rollover qualifying miles, so I'd say they don't see the need to further differentiate themselves with the additional complexity of rolling over more types of points.
but thinking logically, using your argument, wouldn’t rollover MQD make more sense than MQMs? Drop rollover MQMs and go to rollover MQDs? Given SkyMiles relative lack of conpetitiveness, having one of their features as rollover perhaps helps make more competitive. Also, note that this post assumes airline perspective, not skymiles member perspective.
Old Dec 17, 17, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott
If they switch to rollover MQD, then the Amex cards should give you an MQM waiver
Old Dec 17, 17, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
If they switch to rollover MQD, then the Amex cards should give you an MQM waiver
true!
my question remains serious. And also, just for this year interests may be aligned! Since I need to focus on MQDs and not the AMEX waiver, perhaps there would be an MQD run while I have some time off in next few weeks that can help for 2018 MQD total for 2019 medallion qualification
Old Dec 17, 17, 10:37 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyFromDTW View Post

but thinking logically, using your argument, wouldn’t rollover MQD make more sense than MQMs? Drop rollover MQMs and go to rollover MQDs? Given SkyMiles relative lack of conpetitiveness, having one of their features as rollover perhaps helps make more competitive. Also, note that this post assumes airline perspective, not skymiles member perspective.
While it might incent people to spend additional dollars this year, it could equally incent them to spend less the following year and instead rely on rollover MQD's. Further, this would include flyers who would have booked DL anyway without the rollover incentive. I'm not seeing a compelling case here.
Old Dec 17, 17, 11:11 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I think they care about what you spend this year, not what you have spent.

The rollover MQMs encourage customers to spend more (or make the waiver) so they can use those MQMs. Rollover MQDs would have the opposite effect, they'd encourage customers who maybe had one expensive work trip in J last year to make status by flying the most inexpensive tickets. That is what MQD were supposed to prevent.
Old Dec 18, 17, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
I think they care about what you spend this year, not what you have spent.

The rollover MQMs encourage customers to spend more (or make the waiver) so they can use those MQMs. Rollover MQDs would have the opposite effect, they'd encourage customers who maybe had one expensive work trip in J last year to make status by flying the most inexpensive tickets. That is what MQD were supposed to prevent.
true answer (if only one item carries over) must relate to what traveler hits last and feels what they may have shortfall on the following year and can benefit from carryover. In my case, it’s still miles. If there were a second carryover, I’d love miles prticularly this year so that I can have MQDs start accumulating to that particular requirement. I’ve hit 145KMQMs but only $11KMQDs -with no Amex waiver in 2018 trip. Wouldn’t it be incentivizing for me to go on trip with >$4kMQDs which I was looking at but didn’t because MQDs would not carry over?
Old Dec 18, 17, 7:27 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I wish, the MQM rollover is basically worthless for me without MQD rolling over since my tickets tend to more or less track $3k of MQD per 25k of MQM and I get about 100k miles a year. If I could roll over that extra $3k or so each year that'd give me a nice head start or re-qualifying each year.
Old Dec 18, 17, 9:53 am

I have suggested this in comments to DL in the past - obviously they haven't taken my suggestion On average, not having the MQD rollover will cause most people to be more price sensitive and spend less. I, like most people, will try to spend the minimum needed to get status. This year, I qualify by $68, which is the most I have ever spent over the qualification threshold (my low was $2). I would be a lot less price conscious and play a lot less games if I could roll the MDQ over.
Old Dec 18, 17, 10:09 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
I have suggested this in comments to DL in the past - obviously they haven't taken my suggestion On average, not having the MQD rollover will cause most people to be more price sensitive and spend less. I, like most people, will try to spend the minimum needed to get status. This year, I qualify by $68, which is the most I have ever spent over the qualification threshold (my low was $2). I would be a lot less price conscious and play a lot less games if I could roll the MDQ over.
People who think like that will likely just spend less the next year because they have the rollover MQD's and don't need as many MQD's for status. I fail to see the net win for DL here.
Old Dec 18, 17, 10:58 am

People who think like that will likely just spend less the next year because they have the rollover MQD's and don't need as many MQD's for status. I fail to see the net win for DL here.
Even if its a zero sum (which it likely isn't), a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow, so its a way for DL to accelerate customer spend. Let's say I say I spend $6K on travel this year and $6K next year. In a zero sum world, I would be more likely to spend $7K this year and $5K next year, which is better for Delta. Realistically, I might have spent $7,000 this year, $6,000 next year and not have cared because one day those accruals will help me get over the hump to PM with a bit extra spend in a year.
Old Dec 20, 17, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Moreover, DL doesn't really want to have people who think like that as customers.
Old Dec 20, 17, 8:37 pm

I am pretty sure that there are folks who spends way over USD 15,000 in MQD a year.
Allowing MQD rollover will bring Delta back to the days before MQD.
A few good years of heavy travel translate to many years of default Diamond status by accumulated MQM and MQD rollovers
I believe the MQD was introduced to ensure a supply of fresh funds to finance the fiscal year's Medallion benefits such as GUC / RUC / fee waivers / mileage bonus

Search this Thread
Search Engine: