AFFECTED CITIES (TO / FROM / THROUGH)
Atlanta, GA (ATL)

IMPACTED TRAVEL DATE(S)
December 17-19, 2017

TICKET MUST BE REISSUED ON OR BEFORE
December 22, 2017

REBOOKED TRAVEL MUST BEGIN NO LATER THAN
December 22, 2017

An Atlanta newspaper article that describes the aiport's lack of preparation and poor communications during the outage: MyAJC - Zero communication, Airport had no plan for total power outage (Posted: 8:28 p.m. Monday, December 18, 2017)
Print Wikipost

Power outage in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:59 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Saw a few points above about solar... great for DIA but wouldn't work here. I'm just surprised one fire or power cut can have so many issues. There are no back up systems on site to keep things moving?

Also heard from a friend with contacts on ground that some cargo flights were landing about an hour or two ago. Not sure what is going on now.

And I would assume people are stuck in the APM.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by dzflyer
I wonder if people are stuck on the plane train and in elevators
Well.. I mean we were just talking about the TSA keeping people on escalators
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
The unfortunate part is that DL will treat this like weather. Of course that’s in line with the rules, but it’s going to mean less options and more ticked off people. Reports of not rebooking on other airlines supports that opinion.
Glad I decided to drive to Cincy today.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Well, some of you were luckier than us here. Scheduled to leave tomorrow DFW-ATL-PBI...tried calling but got a busy signal after a short message asking to "call again Monday" I tried changing ticket on-line but hit an error message (don't know if it's because of award travel) Now it's up to tweeter. See what happens.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
DTW GAs were telling passengers they couldn’t rebook onto other airlines yet since the flights were only delayed, not cancelled. Ugh. Semantics.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
DTW GAs were telling passengers they couldn’t rebook onto other airlines yet since the flights were only delayed, not cancelled. Ugh. Semantics.
Meanwhile, I was just notified via the app that one of my flights tomorrow (with none of the legs touching ATL) has been cancelled. So yes, the ripple effect has begun. Don’t assume that just because you’re not going to/through/from ATL that you’ll be fine. Many people (myself included) will not be.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by gooselee
And WSB is a bit more direct - saying airport is being evacuated.
From AJC's coverage:
All flights were canceled and baggage is being held in a secure area for pickup in the future, Rick Crotts, an Atlanta Journal-Constitution editor said.
Camp Creek Parkway was also shut down and Atlanta police discouraged anyone from heading toward the airport.
Inside the airport, a swirling mass of people waited in an aimless pattern trying to get cellphone signals in a darkening airport as passengers sat stranded in parked planes on the tarmac.
Link: Police plan to evacuate Hartsfield-Jackson international Airport hours after power outage (6:03 p.m Sunday, Dec. 17, 2017)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Paki81
I flew through ATL this morning. What a blessing that I made it out before this mayhem hit.
Same here! I was visiting relatives and would normally fly back later in the day but I was feeling stressed around Christmas and wanted to get back to my house early this trip. I apparently exited the building just before everything melted down.

After a three-hour delay (weather) getting to my destination, getting stuck on ret urn would've seemed natural, I suppose.
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Miggles and aquamarinesteph like this.

Originally Posted by dzflyer
I wonder if people are stuck on the plane train and in elevators
That is what my other half said earlier! I would be freaking out.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Well.. I mean we were just talking about the TSA keeping people on escalators
TSA is not going to physically restrain or arrest you from trying to get to a safe area, especially if you are not breaching a secure area.

Last edited by mysterym; Dec 17, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Oddly enough, I actually got my first upgrade of the year the day after the August mega-meltdown. It truly is funny how somethings can work out.

---

More videos coming out:

https://twitter.com/gasspari/status/942524635903680512
https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...22777315180546
I wonder what the smoke is from??
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:17 pm

Anyone know if Delta Connection flights have their own pilots/FAs? I re-booked onto a non-stop connection that avoids ATL so really hoping the world out of ATL does not come to a grinding halt...
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by mysterym
Anyone know if Delta Connection flights have their own pilots/FAs? I re-booked onto a non-stop connection that avoids ATL so really hoping the world out of ATL does not come to a grinding halt...
They are separate crews, but depending on the carrier they could be ATL based and also be disrupted.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: golden pleb
I'm one of the folks stuck in ATL (flight from SAM was inexplicably not diverted) been on the tarmac for 4 hours. Any suggestions on best course of action? I've booked a hotel and have rebooked for late tomorrow. (Thanks CSP!)
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.