AFFECTED CITIES (TO / FROM / THROUGH)
Atlanta, GA (ATL)

IMPACTED TRAVEL DATE(S)
December 17-19, 2017

TICKET MUST BE REISSUED ON OR BEFORE
December 22, 2017

REBOOKED TRAVEL MUST BEGIN NO LATER THAN
December 22, 2017

An Atlanta newspaper article that describes the aiport's lack of preparation and poor communications during the outage: MyAJC - Zero communication, Airport had no plan for total power outage (Posted: 8:28 p.m. Monday, December 18, 2017)
Print Wikipost

Power outage in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:10 pm

I flew through ATL this morning. What a blessing that I made it out before this mayhem hit.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
got to ATL around 1230P for a 1:45P on American to CLT. I was in T-concourse already when the power went out at 12:55P. Everything was pretty calm. Very eerie hearing it so quiet in the concourses. No gate monitors, no restaurants lit, no announcements to be made.

The biggest problem was connectivity. ATL airport Wi-Fi wasn't available and my phone was unable to load any internet page on the Verizon network. Outbound calls were spotty, sometimes I would get a dial tone but nobody would answer. I've had bad reception in that airport before, especially in the middle of the concourses. I walked down to the end of T by the United gates where there are some big windows, and it was a little better.

After 2.5 hours, phone was at 30%, unable to charge it anywhere, and AA had already cancelled the last 3 ATL-CLT departures of the night. Time to wave the white flag!

The scene at landside when I left was not a pleasant one, but it was still far from "pandemonium"

username and Alphazone like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
You'd think airports would think of themselves like hospitals when it comes to power - multiple backup schemes, and each concourse/terminal separated so that a power cut in one doesn't affect all the others.

DIA has a big solar farm, which provides cutover and emergency power if the main grid fails.
While I don't disagree with you, DEN also is surrounded by nothingness to the North, East, and South. Easy to have a solar farm when you have that much space.

Still stuck at IAH. Doubt I'm getting to ATL today.

Edit: definitely not. flight cancelled.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Dec 17, 2017 at 3:44 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Is it just me or does it seem as if every outage that effects the mothership revolves around power?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
got to ATL around 1230P for a 1:45P on American to CLT. I was in T-concourse already when the power went out at 12:55P. Everything was pretty calm. Very eerie hearing it so quiet in the concourses. No gate monitors, no restaurants lit, no announcements to be made.

The biggest problem was connectivity. ATL airport Wi-Fi wasn't available and my phone was unable to load any internet page on the Verizon network. Outbound calls were spotty, sometimes I would get a dial tone but nobody would answer. I've had bad reception in that airport before, especially in the middle of the concourses. I walked down to the end of T by the United gates where there are some big windows, and it was a little better.

After 2.5 hours, phone was at 30%, unable to charge it anywhere, and AA had already cancelled the last 3 ATL-CLT departures of the night. Time to wave the white flag!

The scene at landside when I left was not a pleasant one, but it was still far from "pandemonium"
are you still there? Various report from folks are saying they aren’t allowed to leave the airport.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by jk88usa
Also Update: WN has cancelled all ops out of ATL for the rest of today...DL could take a page (but I’m sure they won’t...)
Cocky Delta would rather keep their customers waiting for the faint hope that their flight, however late, would actually go.
Doesn't work that way. Delta could learn from Southwest. Cancel everything and reset.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by ucfjoe
are you still there? Various report from folks are saying they aren’t allowed to leave the airport.
Delta Holds Customers Hostage.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Not to be too negative here, but I imagine that much of the crews will be illegal, so even after the power is fixed, there will be additional time in getting replacement crews for outbound flights.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Flying PHX - SLC - IAH tonight, as it stands now I will miss connect in SLC due to inbound aircraft. Twitter confirmed they will not rebook on other airlines (United) either on the direct evening flight, or tomorrow AM.

Really surprised they are not willing to put me on another airline. Anyone know if they will give hotel vouchers in SLC when I miss my connection?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Just booked a room at Hyatt for my dad. He is about to try and leave and take a cab. Can't get Uber because no cell service! haha

DL should take from WN. That's a joke to sit there and pretend they are going to recover tonight from this. My dad is on his 4th flight now.

Friend that was LAX->ATL is now at Memphis and being told if he leaves plane he is on his own. IE stuck there. That seems... interesting
to say the least.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Just dropped my parents off at MARTA to get their F9 flight. I told them about the outage/ground stop and that it was unlikely their flight would leave tonight (and certainly not on time), but they wanted to lug all their stuff on down anyway....I guess to see for themselves? They were convinced they'd be okay since their (paper) BPs had printed and said on time when they did OLCI.

I'm assuming I'll be picking them back up from the same MARTA station in a few hours...
manacit and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
nope, I'm home. walked through one of the revolving doors between T and the landside area (where the TSA lady was sitting in the dark at the exit of the secure area). Went right through landside and out the door and jumped into a waiting car. nobody preventing anyone from leaving that I saw.

However, when driving OUT of the airport, the line-up of cars trying to get back in looked like the connector at rush hour. Red tail lights backed up and not moving.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Friend that was LAX->ATL is now at Memphis and being told if he leaves plane he is on his own. IE stuck there. That seems... interesting
to say the least.
Could be quicker to rent a car at MEM and drive back to ATL if that's the final destination.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by gooselee
Just dropped my parents off at MARTA to get their F9 flight. I told them about the outage/ground stop and that it was unlikely their flight would leave tonight (and certainly not on time), but they wanted to lug all their stuff on down anyway....I guess to see for themselves? They were convinced they'd be okay since their (paper) BPs had printed and said on time when they did OLCI.

I'm assuming I'll be picking them back up from the same MARTA station in a few hours...
...Wait, did you say F9? I'm surprised they didn't cancel all of them already
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
...Wait, did you say F9? I'm surprised they didn't cancel all of them already
Yes. And I agree.

In Flight aware i saw all the WN flights cancelled and most DL delayed, but F9 still proudly showing on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.