AFFECTED CITIES (TO / FROM / THROUGH)
Atlanta, GA (ATL)

IMPACTED TRAVEL DATE(S)
December 17-19, 2017

TICKET MUST BE REISSUED ON OR BEFORE
December 22, 2017

REBOOKED TRAVEL MUST BEGIN NO LATER THAN
December 22, 2017

An Atlanta newspaper article that describes the aiport's lack of preparation and poor communications during the outage: MyAJC - Zero communication, Airport had no plan for total power outage (Posted: 8:28 p.m. Monday, December 18, 2017)
Print Wikipost

Power outage in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: SM/Marriott/Hilton - Diamond
Wondering how badly someone like me will fare tomorrow. PHX->MSP->RAP. Nowhere near Atlanta but we all know how IROPS spreads like wildfire...
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by z06mir
Wondering how badly someone like me will fare tomorrow. PHX->MSP->RAP. Nowhere near Atlanta but we all know how IROPS spreads like wildfire...
All depends on inbound aircraft and crew. If it’s all early tomorrow and the inbound isn’t from ATL (at any point between now and then) you may be ok...but as we all saw in April, DL goes off the rails fast when ATL implodes
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
And to think, I was planning on doing MSP-ATL-DAB tomorrow. Well... Hopefully tuesday will give me enough of a bufferzone
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:35 pm

I think almost everything not involving ATL will be fine tomorrow. There may be something somewhere. But Delta is going to be doing it's absolute best to get things as normal as possible tomorrow with holiday traffic starting to ramp up and not lots of extra sears hanging around.

Originally Posted by ucfjoe
are you still there? Various report from folks are saying they aren’t allowed to leave the airport.
I dont see how that could be allowed... that would be held against will...

My wife is stuck in Memphis. Flight "diverted" to Memphis from San Diego (on the way to ATL). Is still supposedly continuing on to ATL but has been delayed further and further (3:25 departure to 4:00 to 4:30 to 5:00). Delta rebooked her from ATL on Monday but 3 flights are still showing as operating out of ATL tonight that have seats left. Need Delta to rebook her to a flight tonight but have been on hold for over an hour now. Delta.com offers no option to rebook what they changed her to...Not seeing any Delta reps helping stuck passengers on Facebook today. She was stuck in the Delta ATL meltdown last week on the way to San Diego and I wound up having to buy her a ticket on United to get her there.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by njf1003
I think almost everything not involving ATL will be fine tomorrow. There may be something somewhere. But Delta is going to be doing it's absolute best to get things as normal as possible tomorrow with holiday traffic starting to ramp up and not lots of extra sears hanging around.
I would love to agree with you...but 8 hours of thunderstorms caused 8 days of misery systemwide 8 months ago...wouldn’t shock me to see it again
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
You'd think airports would think of themselves like hospitals when it comes to power - multiple backup schemes, and each concourse/terminal separated so that a power cut in one doesn't affect all the others.

DIA has a big solar farm, which provides cutover and emergency power if the main grid fails.
The solar projects (there are four) at DIA are not directly connected to the airport’s power system. They are connected to Xcel’s system. DIA “buys” power from the projects via a virtual contract that offsets its bills from Xcel using the same Solar Rewards program that anyone in Xcel’s service territory can get. There is no energy storage on any of the systems so, at night, DIA would be in the same situation ATL is.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: SM/Marriott/Hilton - Diamond
Originally Posted by jk88usa

All depends on inbound aircraft and crew. If it’s all early tomorrow and the inbound isn’t from ATL (at any point between now and then) you may be ok...but as we all saw in April, DL goes off the rails fast when ATL implodes
I was a victim in April, too. Though compared to others I didn't do too badly, just a six hour delay in SLC. My first flight doesn't depart until 5pm tomorrow. If todays flights mirror tomorrow's none of my a/c go to Atlanta at all before arriving here. I really would like to make it to work Tuesday... but we'll see.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Oddly enough, I actually got my first upgrade of the year the day after the August mega-meltdown. It truly is funny how somethings can work out.

---

More videos coming out:

Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
CBS46 reporting "they are shutting the airport down" with footage of extra APD arriving to assist with crowd control as it gets dark. Advising anyone with flights to not attempt to go to the airport at all.

It sounds like they're not expecting to operate again before morning.

And WSB is a bit more direct - saying airport is being evacuated.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by scracer14
Flying PHX - SLC - IAH tonight, as it stands now I will miss connect in SLC due to inbound aircraft. Twitter confirmed they will not rebook on other airlines (United) either on the direct evening flight, or tomorrow AM.
Two things come to mind. Is there a credit card whose travel reimbursement includes paying the fare on another airline when original flight canceled or significantly delayed?

Second, SLC-IAH is longer than PHX-IAH
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: delta dm
I wonder if people are stuck on the plane train and in elevators
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It wasn't just "8 days of misery" last April. DL was blaming every operational incident for two weeks or longer on "WX" from that incident, when in fact it was their complete unpreparedness and poor system recovery that was at fault. Expect to see DL using this as an excuse next week during the Xmas rush. Naturally, all these people today needing to re-schedule will run into the Xmas rush as well. I just wish DL would admit that their operations and procedures are a pathetic failure and try to do something different. Be it WX or power failures, this sh*t happens, and they need to learn to deal with it better.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hotturnip
DL was blaming every operational incident for two weeks or longer on "WX" from that incident, when in fact it was their complete unpreparedness and poor system recovery that was at fault. Expect to see DL using this as an excuse next week during the Xmas rush.
I mean it did rain in ATL today That must have been the cause!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.