AFFECTED CITIES (TO / FROM / THROUGH)
Atlanta, GA (ATL)

IMPACTED TRAVEL DATE(S)
December 17-19, 2017

TICKET MUST BE REISSUED ON OR BEFORE
December 22, 2017

REBOOKED TRAVEL MUST BEGIN NO LATER THAN
December 22, 2017

An Atlanta newspaper article that describes the aiport's lack of preparation and poor communications during the outage: MyAJC - Zero communication, Airport had no plan for total power outage (Posted: 8:28 p.m. Monday, December 18, 2017)
Print Wikipost

Power outage in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by Uncle Lars
Just landed from DUS half an hour ago. Sitting on taxiway indefinitely with many many other planes..kinda wish they had diverted us...hope my employer is forgiving as SLC is a long ways away right now...
On the same flight from DUS... would have been nice to divert to CVG/DTW/JFK as they have done with other international arrivals.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:45 pm

Changed my connecting flight through ATL to non-stop to avoid ATL with no change in fare! Somewhat concerned there will be issues across Delta tomorrow because its their hub...but flying through ATL will be a nightmare.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Just landed from DUS half an hour ago. Sitting on taxiway indefinitely with many many other planes..kinda wish they had diverted us...hope my employer is forgiving as SLC is a long ways away right now...
Saw your flight and a couple more land on FlightRadar24. Thought it was stupid not to divert.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
That's why I'm glad I'm sitting at the IAH Centurion Lounge waiting on United to either a) cancel the flight, or b) Georgia Power getting the lights back on.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by mysterym
Changed my connecting flight through ATL to non-stop to avoid ATL with no change in fare! Somewhat concerned there will be issues across Delta tomorrow because its their hub...but flying through ATL will be a nightmare.
Agreed: scheduled to fly SEA-DEN tomorrow morning and while I dont know if it’ll cause my flight problems, I just ponied up the $59 for United basic economy. Learned the Delta Domino Effect the hard way in April...not planning on dealing with it again

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
Originally Posted by AKC6
Delta.com still merrily selling tix to ATL today. Fa la lal la la . . .
I was actually not flying DL today (someone bought my ticket and I’m embarrassed to say what airline’s points they used) and DL sold me a seat around 2:30. That flight continues to get delayed.
Mom I'm rebooking to tomorrow night and hoping schedule is back to normal by then.
I really don’t want to drive the 7 hours home tomorrow
EDIT: I'm rebooking myself to a flight to Atlanta this evening. My mom doesn't book my fights any more. I'm a big boy! i even wear big boy underwear!

Last edited by fsuj25; Dec 18, 2017 at 6:33 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I abandoned my ATL jaunt as I have other options from DTW, and when the ticket was originally booked, the extra leg through ATL was actually the cheapest option. Waiting for nonstop to BOS now that currently shows as on time at 5:55pm. Have a feeling ATL is going to be a fine mess for some time to come. Not scheduled to go through there again until December 30 although I have several upcoming flights. Best of luck to all those affected by the chaos inside ATL as well as the planes already on the ground as darkness descends upon the area.

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
Captain just had us deplane in DTW. Current ETD of 3:30pm.

I would be so grateful for that and to not be sitting on the runway at DTW for the possibility of a departure. Where is your final destination? Can you reroute through JFK?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by sbm12
AJC ran that story. ATL Airport Authority got pretty pissed with them on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ATLairport/statu...08790200586240
"This is NOT confirmed...." How long does it take to give us some info on this? I'm so sorry for all of those who are stuck there. I am *scheduled* to fly tomorrow, but that's not that big of a deal. I can always reschedule.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I would be so grateful for that and to not be sitting on the runway at DTW for the possibility of a departure. Where is your final destination? Can you reroute through JFK?
No need for JFK or anywhere else. Hopped on a nonstop to BOS that *should* be leaving in just under an hour. Plane is here and so are the pilots. Crossing fingers for FAs.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I'm flying out of ATL tomorrow but with where I actually am, I could also fly out of GSP (or AVL, but all AVL flights go to ATL anyway). I'll be watching to see what happens and if DL posts a waiver, I'll probably jump on it.
After DL posted the waiver, I called; it was announced as a 41-63 minute wait for the call back, but the call actually came 35 minutes later. The agent had no problem switching me to GSP-DTW-BOS tomorrow. The rental car is going to cost $100 more for the one-way drop off, but that's well worth it to make sure I get home.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Which is why first world power tends to be seven sigma or greater.
Tell it to DTE. Our power goes out long enough for the generator to go on at least 6-10 times per year, and it's been this way ever since I moved to the area in 1978. And these outages are mostly on days with clear skies and gentle breezes, so probably not weather-related
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:04 pm

Also Update: WN has cancelled all ops out of ATL for the rest of today...DL could take a page (but I’m sure they won’t...)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Take airline employee's testimonials with a grain of salt. We have next to no updates on DeltaNet, with our one article being the exact same as on the main news hub.

For those not at ATL, here are some more pictures/videos of the situation

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; Dec 17, 2017 at 3:20 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
You'd think airports would think of themselves like hospitals when it comes to power - multiple backup schemes, and each concourse/terminal separated so that a power cut in one doesn't affect all the others.

DIA has a big solar farm, which provides cutover and emergency power if the main grid fails.
Endventure likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.