AFFECTED CITIES (TO / FROM / THROUGH)
Atlanta, GA (ATL)

IMPACTED TRAVEL DATE(S)
December 17-19, 2017

TICKET MUST BE REISSUED ON OR BEFORE
December 22, 2017

REBOOKED TRAVEL MUST BEGIN NO LATER THAN
December 22, 2017

An Atlanta newspaper article that describes the aiport's lack of preparation and poor communications during the outage: MyAJC - Zero communication, Airport had no plan for total power outage (Posted: 8:28 p.m. Monday, December 18, 2017)
Print Wikipost

Power outage in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD

Even with generator power, you still have to get it from A->B. Should they have generators at every concourse? Perhaps, but again that must be compared against the risk/cost of this happening again. I'm not aware of another event like this in the history of ATL. ...

In reality land, you have to balance the investment with the cost/risk.
I think a good question to ask is how much has this fiasco cost?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
CNN is showing photos of the fire damage
Link?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Duke787
Not about the airport specifically. I would want the same response (quick deployment of National Guard) if the same scenario unfolded and left the 70k people at the Falcons game stuck inside the building without electricity and nowhere to go for an extended period of time.

There is one big difference about an airport. Everyone inside has been screened by the TSA. Assuming they did their job, no one inside has any WEI. Perhaps it it different where you live, but in my muggle universe turning off the lights does not cause guns and bombs to magically show up in people's pockets, nor does dakness instantly turn kettle flyers into jihad terrorists.

There is a great story about this type of event called "Nightfall" by Issac Asimov, however it is science fiction.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:10 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Duke787
Not about the airport specifically. I would want the same response (quick deployment of National Guard) if the same scenario unfolded and left the 70k people at the Falcons game stuck inside the building without electricity and nowhere to go for an extended period of time.
Just to be clear, you are mad that the response to a power failure wasn't an appropriate response to a terrorist attack?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by wxman22
Actually, I would think that with the FT readership there are a significant number of folks who do have a clue how to keep an operation running in the face of breakdowns and problems.
Also, I'm many of us have worked for places that make no bones about the fact that they would rather spend $nothing for a contingency that may occur a few times per decade, versus a few cents (per share) to actually be prepared. This does go cost cutting, in that CEO's can and do get by for not spending despite getting hit too frequently with "rare" events.

So when this happens again in a couple years, be prepared for the same results and hand wringing.
I work for a small company (250 employees) with over 17,000 customers and over 2 million end users. We have plans for almost everything. Hurricane or blizzard coming? We've got a plan for that. Fire in facility (yes, it happened), we've got a plan for that. Server goes down? Redundancy engages. Attempted kidnapping in one of our buildings during a public event--well, I have to say we didn't have a plan for that one, but our employees are empowered to make judgement calls and not have to wait for things to go up the ladder and then come back down when it comes to ensuring the safety and security of our customers and end users, guests, and employees, and two employees reacted immediately and prevented a tragedy.

It's absurd that there wasn't a plan in place for this. It's absurd that they allowed people to sit on planes on the tarmac and didn't cancel flights knowing there had been a major fire and repairs hadn't even started at 3:30. It's simply pitiful in this day and age that they didn't have a plan in place for even the most basic tasks--like providing emergency lighting via a backup generator and having employees directing people towards exits.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Sure, no problem. I'm certain it only takes a couple of hours to restore a 747 sitting in the desert to full operational status so they can fly it MCO-ATL once, and then just park it back in the desert again.

(I'm sure all the retired 747 pilots can be rounded up on two hours' notice as well.)
I'm not sure if it's actually true or not, but two weeks ago I was having lunch with a retired FedEx pilot who told me that once you hang up your wings, you can't come back to full on commercial, only private jets (personal, corporate, or charter) or of course military. I was surprised to hear that. Again, I'm not certain it's factual, and perhaps was a FedEx thing.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by stillontheroad
HSV might have been able to operate during this time because they have what 12-15 gates? and infrastructure that goes with it. That is a lot less that even one terminal in ATL. A 400 KVA diesel generator will operate a lot of lights in one small terminal (AC/Heat was not on in HSV as that is what consumes the most power). Plus the baggage handling equipment in ATL runs on electrical power and the motors to move the belts are also very high power consumers. Then you have to think about the transportation (train) between terminals. And the boarding pass scanners, plus the computers to track luggage, plus the scanners for boarding and the weights and balance calculations (I know they can do it manually but takes a lot longer). There are not enough large generators in Atlanta metro area to power all the concourses and gates in ATL.
How many MW are we estimating that ATL is consuming? Because they make some really big generators. Given the way that ATL grew you would probably have a generator per concourse, so it would put each concourse within the reasonable load (under 8 MW) of a diesel genset.

given the amount of jet a around they would probably look a multifuel diesels that can burn jet-a or turbine gensets.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
For anybody arriving today I'd recommend just taking an Uber if you need to get to the rental car center. I estimate it'll have taken me an hour to get there either this shuttle bus crap. Kicking myself for not thinking to take an Uber when I first saw the line
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Nice---so you are saying that DL proactively rebooked you on UA?
Correct. I had zero interaction to achieve this via any means - phone, online, app, Twitter, agent, etc. Was all done proactively and automatically during my time in the air. I was unaware of anything until I landed and loaded the app to check on my baggage. That’s when all the new flight info populated - and emails and texts arrived to my phone as well with the new info.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:47 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ethernal
I'm pretty sure that grown adults can manage being without power for a few hours without needing babysitters to come in and make sure everyone is okay.
But remember, we're talking about airline passengers

Originally Posted by CalVol
I think a good question to ask is how much has this fiasco cost?
Fair question. But the post you were replying to was about the trade-off between cost and risk​​​.

Everyone is happy to second guess why the costs weren't paid, after something like this happens. Is everyone so eager to bear the cost (increased airfare, taxes, etc it'll all get passed on in one form or another) in advance, when it's only a potential and unlikely disaster?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Anyone seen any VDB offers today? I’m inbound to IAD at the moment and connecting to a sold out ATL flight. Wouldn’t mind taking a bump till tommorow if it was a good offer.

cheers!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Looking at EF, it looks like there is an empty seat or 4 on all iad-atl flights this afternoon and evening.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by mysterym
Its not paranoia, its reality, and I go about my day as a normal human being but am self-aware of my surroundings, and know what to do during and immediately after an attack. My preparedness is in part because of my career and having worked with ex-FBI/SS/etc but also in part because I have been a block away from a bomb / attempted terror attack before. I sleep like a baby because I am prepared and have basic security measures in place
+1

Many of the other things that are more likely to kill me are out of my control. Thinking thru options that may, but hopefully never will, be within my control, is prudent. But for those who disagree, that's fine. Just another cost benefit analysis.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
Originally Posted by adambrau
I have to imagine this going to cause bit of a dent in Delta's reputation. It just seems worst business practice to rent space from an airport where at least 80% of your planes travel through on a daily basis and not have one or two backup electrical sources that are completely independent of one another. Maybe there are and they failed, I don't know. Who knows how many are trapped in trains, in the airport, on aircraft on taxiways, elderly or pax with limited mobility, trapped in darkened terminals. The stories that come out over the next few days are going to be a social media PR catastrophe. And it's a shame because Delta has worked hard to earn it's reputation at the top of all US Airlines for several years. Good luck to all Delta passengers and frontline employees and hopefully (but unlikely) the trickle down effects are solved quickly and as painlessly during the holiday season so passengers and schedules can get back on their way.

Adam
So true. For as good as Delta is, the love-fest between Delta and ATL has to stop, or at least temper. A good business knows how to spread risk. But for Delta, ATL has over 1000 flights a day, which I believe is more than DTW & MSP combined. I would think with third major shutdown of ATL (I believe two snowstorms and this...not counting the computer fiasco because that affected every airport), Delta would get the hint.

But because ATL is so fixed on being the "busiest airport in the world" and Delta's is so fixed on the having the "busiest single hub", I doubt much will change.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by mysterym
Its not paranoia, its reality, and I go about my day as a normal human being but am self-aware of my surroundings, and know what to do during and immediately after an attack. My preparedness is in part because of my career and having worked with ex-FBI/SS/etc but also in part because I have been a block away from a bomb / attempted terror attack before. I sleep like a baby because I am prepared and have basic security measures in place
If paranoia helps you sleep at night, knock yourself out - but don't project it onto others and try to send in the national guard and who knows what else for no reason.
Miggles likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.