AFFECTED CITIES (TO / FROM / THROUGH)
Atlanta, GA (ATL)

IMPACTED TRAVEL DATE(S)
December 17-19, 2017

TICKET MUST BE REISSUED ON OR BEFORE
December 22, 2017

REBOOKED TRAVEL MUST BEGIN NO LATER THAN
December 22, 2017

An Atlanta newspaper article that describes the aiport's lack of preparation and poor communications during the outage: MyAJC - Zero communication, Airport had no plan for total power outage (Posted: 8:28 p.m. Monday, December 18, 2017)
Print Wikipost

Power outage in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Annerk
They really dropped the ball by holding planes on the tarmac until it started to get dark. They should have begun evacuating them with stairs to buses, cleared the terminal immediately and allowed cars to enter to pick up but not allowed any drop offs, and cancelled all flights for the remainder of the day within an hour of the power going out when they still hadn't figured out the cause.
I agree that was a bad call. They should have started the evac when the power didn't come in in ~30 minutes. I'm actually surprised the Airport Authority didn't force an evac. Seems like it would be a liability for them not to...

It will be interesting to see A) What caused this, B) What (if anything) DL learns from this. (i.e. should we have an evac plan after 5/15/30/60 etc. minutes?)

The whole thing is a mess and jobs should be lost top down for not having adequate plans and procedures. They violated the Federal DOT rule about three hour tarmac delays, and by the time they actually started to unload people it was way too little, too late. I'm guessing the power will be back on by the time they finish getting people off planes, and can't even imagine how long it will take to process the heavies that landed from other countries through CBP with no power, computers, or by the looks of it, lights.
Relevant parts bolded below for your learning pleasure. (Source transportation.gov)

"The new rule prohibits U.S. airlines operating domestic flights from permitting an aircraft to remain on the tarmac for more than three hours without deplaning passengers, with exceptions allowed only for safety or security or if air traffic control advises the pilot in command that returning to the terminal would disrupt airport operations. U.S. carriers operating international flights departing from or arriving in the United States must specify, in advance, their own time limits for deplaning passengers, with the same exceptions applicable."

I think one could very easy say it's a safety and security issue to deplane a mile from the terminal with active runways. I also imagine ATC couldn't get them to gates to deplane because other planes couldn't leave said gates.

Not even having adequate emergency lighting is something that the ATL officials need to address--and if the leadership is too stupid to have them, along with staff trained in emergency operations--they need to be replaced with trained chimpanzees who would likely be better at doing their job.
Don't know (or really care) what ATL's local code is on emergency lights, but they don't have to last forever (usually an hour or so). They're designed to provide enough light for an evac, not for regular operation. Hence why they're called ...wait for it... Emergency Lights.

By the way, sending passengers down emergency slides is so utterly unacceptable unless the plane is on fire (or similar) that there simply are no words. If that is the case, then some pilots themselves have some serious explaining to do, and are probably unfit for duty.
Yes, I suppose it's better to leave them on dark airplanes with no working lavs or ventilation, for hours? days? Seriously?? Thinking FAIL.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
11Alive.com is showing gigantic lines for taxis. Why don't these people get on MARTA and go somewhere else, and THEN get a taxi? There are no hotel rooms left by the airport.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by mra39

Right now they’ve got us on Delta 201 leaving at 9 AM for MSP tomorrow AM. Currently the plane is flying over the Atlantic coming into ATL. Chances our flight will make it to MSP tomorrow Reasonably on time?
DL 201 ATL-MSP 12/18 is scheduled as a B757 aircraft. Don't be confused by JNB-ATL which is operated by a B777 aircraft.

It takes time to reset an operation as large as DL in ATL. Don't expect normal operations Monday AM - it'll probably be a day or two (at the earliest) before ops are "normal" again.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Call Diamond Line before anything else is said it tells you "if your travel is not today use Delta.com or try again tomorrow".......once you get through that you get the fast busy signal and it hangs up on you.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:40 pm

I feel badly for everyone stranded in ATL tonight. :-(
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Last edited by jason99; Dec 17, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
But some systems need hyper local power supplies, like emergency lights, which should have a battery pack at the light source. Moveable stairways are moved by trucks with their own engines.
Only powered versions; the vast majority of "ramp stairs" are non-powered and towed into/out of position.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by enviroian
Where are the backup generators? What am i missing?
ATL is just like Dullta, in that it doesn't believe in having any redundancy, QA testing (which in case of airport would be redundancy and redundant power, failover, etc. testing, that any responsible building and infrastructure does regularly). Same how ATL only has two deicing vehicles/machines and shuts down almost entirely even in case of slight wintry weather, due to being non-prepared.

Dullta, of course, pushes as many flights as it can through ATL, as it is cheap. It is cheap because it has no redundancies and is ill-prepared for anything but sunny days with light winds.

All in all ATL operates just like DL: bare minimal investment to just keep running and continuous cost-cutting.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by fusionblue
The universe came back to bite within days of him saying that.
Karma has a way of taking down hubris.

My thoughts are with the folks stranded at ATL.

There are ways of making events such as this all but impossible.

Considering the profound importance of the air transportation system to the American economy, catastrophic disruptions have been far too frequent over the last few years.

If airlines and airport authorities don't get their act in gear, they'll be on the receiving end of "help" that no one will find productive.

I wonder how many members of Congress are stranded in ATL right now?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
But some systems need hyper local power supplies, like emergency lights, which should have a battery pack at the light source. Moveable stairways are moved by trucks with their own engines.
Emergency lights have batteries.

Airstairs are a great idea, but how many sets do they have. Lets say they have 20 (~3 per concourse), which would be about what I'd expect. With driving time between planes, coordination with ground services (what are you going to do with the hundreds of people you just dumped on the ramp? Wheelchairs, UMs, etc.), and other logistical issues (how many buses do they have?) it's going to take a long time. I'd say one set of airstairs can probably only do 1 aircraft per hour (from my experience). I'm assuming DL prob has 150-200 planes there at the moment. You're looking at many hours (150 planes would take 7.5hrs at 20 simultaneous operations). I think 1 per hour might even be too low of an estimate unless there are 30-40 buses available to move pax and where exactly are they going to take them? Also many of the aircraft are probably in areas where they can't deplane (like an active TWY or near an active RWY), so they're going to have to wait to taxi to somewhere (have to wait til after other planes have deplaned and then been moved).

I'm sure it's a real cluster at ATL right now. There will be a lot of after action review I hope, but I can't figure why the airport wouldn't trigger an evacuation in an extended power outage.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by TAWS
This isn't Delta's fault. They can probably go after Ga Power for some compensation.
And, I'm sure that they will pass a portion of that compensation on to the PAX.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
ATL is just like Dullta, in that it doesn't believe in having any redundancy, QA testing (which in case of airport would be redundancy and redundant power, failover, etc. testing, that any responsible building and infrastructure does regularly). Same how ATL only has two deicing vehicles/machines and shuts down almost entirely even in case of slight wintry weather, due to being non-prepared.

Dullta, of course, pushes as many flights as it can through ATL, as it is cheap. It is cheap because it has no redundancies and is ill-prepared for anything but sunny days with light winds.

All in all ATL operates just like DL: bare minimal investment to just keep running and continuous cost-cutting.
So you think DL/ATL should have invented and used a second power company to provide redundant power to each and every of the thousands of outlets at ATL. Cause that's realistic...
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
I have said this, and I will say this again........Delta closing all your smaller Southern hubs (MEM, CVG (downsizing), MCO) is causing a good bit of this........when you put all your eggs in one basket you don't have any way to reroute people through other airports!
I agree wholeheartedly with this. Even a modest operation at MEM, CVG or DFW would help relieve some of the pressure during ATL ops or wx problems.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: A few
I'm a bit surprised that so many people are blaming airline(s) for this incident; I'm surprised even further by the many self-proclaimed electrical experts that can surmise, with the little detail provided thus far, that the airline(s) and airport are incompetent and are to blame.

While I certainly understand that emotions may be high during a situation of this nature, I also wonder if those that are are arm-chair quarerbacking have even the slightest clue as to how the airport is equipped, its back up contingencies, infrastructure layout, etc
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by javabytes
66 planes that have clearly all been on the tarmac for more than 3 hours... figure an average of what, 125 passengers per plane? 8,250 passengers * $27,500 per passenger = $226,875,000. One can only hope.
... I wonder what the condition the lavs are in
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by BenA

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Even a modest operation at MEM, CVG or DFW would help relieve some of the pressure during ATL ops or wx problems.
No it wouldn't even make a dent. Think about it. Flights run at 90%+ load factors all through the system (on a Sunday it's prob 97-98%). It's not like you can just magically bump all the regularly scheduled pax (plus a third of them or so are trying to get to/from ATL anyway). That would have minimal benefit, and extremely high cost for an incident that happens what, twice a year? (lumping in the snowstorm).

It's nice to think that an airline should have a hub at every airport, but it's been proven time and time again that it's not financially viable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.