Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Trying to get to Tahiti in May with Skymiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:10 pm
jv1
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Anyone have any tricks to get to Tahiti from LAX (or anywhere on the west coast) using Skymiles. I can't find any so far. Can I transfer skymiles to AirFrance or elsewhere? I also have 150,000 Amex Points and I'm willing to use those.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Silver Medallion
AFAIK there is no method of transferring SkyMiles to FlyingBlue, but your AMEX points will transfer just fine if you happen to find award availability on AF from LAX-PPT. The FB search engine is pretty user-friendly (though availability may not be). I believe it is also possible to upgrade an economy or PE ticket on AF using your FB points (calculation based on route and fare class: https://www.flyingblue.com/upgrade-award.html) - though I have never tried this method.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Not sure what you mean by 'tricks', but essentially you just need to find award availability on the one eligible flight (AF operated LAX-PPT). You didn't say if you've looked into that yet? Tell us the problems you are having and maybe we can help. The general procedure is straightfoward though.

I've booked this flight before with Skymiles. I am pretty sure I did it online.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:25 pm
jv1
Original Poster

There is no reward availability on the AirFrance flight - I've been trying for a few months. The Air Tahiti flights show availability but will not let the Delta agent book for me. I only have 150,000 Amex Points, not enough for 2 round trips.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
There is usually plenty of coach award ticket space available. If you are trying to find business, it will sometimes open up 1-3 days before the flight. Even then it is a rare opportunity. It is the most elusive business class award. Several threads in the past with people trying to get to PPT.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
There is usually plenty of coach award ticket space available. If you are trying to find business, it will sometimes open up 1-3 days before the flight. Even then it is a rare opportunity. It is the most elusive business class award. Several threads in the past with people trying to get to PPT.
we went in June and it was 280K RT MSP-LAX-PPT in business. It was 220K just LAX-PPT. Yes it is a lot but it is vacation.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:51 am
jv1
Original Poster

I may have found a solution. For 2 roundtrips - Southwest RT Sacramento to LAX 7k (I have) and $10 - LAX to Honolulu on Delta 110k (I have) and $22 From LAX to PPT Tahiti on Hawaiian 110k (transfer Amex points) and $100

Southwest $11.20 and 7k miles (I already have miles)
Delta $22 and 110k miles (I already have miles)
Hawaiian $100 and 110k miles (I have to transfer Amex miles I already have)

All of this with no long layovers. I'm getting to Tahiti earlier than I planned by 3 days but there are worse things.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jv1
I may have found a solution. For 2 roundtrips - Southwest RT Sacramento to LAX 7k (I have) and $10 - LAX to Honolulu on Delta 110k (I have) and $22 From LAX to PPT Tahiti on Hawaiian 110k (transfer Amex points) and $100

Southwest $11.20 and 7k miles (I already have miles)
Delta $22 and 110k miles (I already have miles)
Hawaiian $100 and 110k miles (I have to transfer Amex miles I already have)

All of this with no long layovers. I'm getting to Tahiti earlier than I planned by 3 days but there are worse things.
This would be three separate tickets, so be sure to allow lots and lots of time for schedule changes and delays. Don't plan to check bags through either.

IMO 220,000 miles per person (???) is a lot for this routing, even in business class (???) for the longhauls, since LAX-HNL will be domestic FC and Hawaiian isn't the best product out there. Maybe a "stopover" or two could ewase the pain.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I agree with MSP's concern about 3 tickets. If you know what you are doing and understand the risks, that is OK. But danger lurks in yonder woods. If WN does not get you to LAX in time for that DL flight, you are toast.

One suggestion would be to see if you can get the DL ticket out of SFO instead. That takes the danger out as you can drive it (I presume). Try to avoid sharp objects on the road :-) You also could consider spending a day in Hawahi on the outbound. Not exactly a horrible stop over. The return is significantly less risky.

Unclear about her price comment though. 220K for 2 RT tickets is a good price. 220K per 1 is expensive, particularly when doing a 3 ticket dance.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I agree with MSP's concern about 3 tickets. If you know what you are doing and understand the risks, that is OK. But danger lurks in yonder woods. If WN does not get you to LAX in time for that DL flight, you are toast.

One suggestion would be to see if you can get the DL ticket out of SFO instead. That takes the danger out as you can drive it (I presume). Try to avoid sharp objects on the road :-) You also could consider spending a day in Hawahi on the outbound. Not exactly a horrible stop over. The return is significantly less risky.

Unclear about her price comment though. 220K for 2 RT tickets is a good price. 220K per 1 is expensive, particularly when doing a 3 ticket dance.
It's unbclear whether the 220,000+ miles are for one ticket or tow. It's also unclear whether the trip is in coach or business class.

IMO even 110,000+ miles for one coach RT ticket is a lot. For business class, 220,000+ miles for two tickets would be pretty good and for one, wouldn't be unusual given DL's pricing recently, but it still seems like a lot of miles.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:06 pm
jv1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This would be three separate tickets, so be sure to allow lots and lots of time for schedule changes and delays. Don't plan to check bags through either.

IMO 220,000 miles per person (???) is a lot for this routing, even in business class (???) for the longhauls, since LAX-HNL will be domestic FC and Hawaiian isn't the best product out there. Maybe a "stopover" or two could ewase the pain.
Thanks for the heads up - lots to think of - the miles would be 110k per person with a total of 220k for my wife and I plus about $132 total for both of us. I do need to look at the transfer times more closely - most are 2 hours or more some are 5 hours.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:07 pm
jv1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe

Great idea - I'm checking on San Fransisco based on your suggestion. The 220k is for 2 tickets.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Deleted
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
110k HNL-PPT round trip for 2 is in coach, so considering that...

you may consider trying to do one way with DL miles and the other way with HA miles. that way, you'll only have one ticket in each direction and will not run into issues with misconnecting across 3 tickets.

eg, SMF/OAK-HNL-PPT outbound w/ HA miles and PPT-LAX-SMF/OAK return with the DL miles. of course you need to be able to find the PPT-LAX availability or vv.

a third option to consider is to use the MR points RT on HA for one passenger and pay cash for the other. should be about 1600$ with reasonable HNL layovers both direction (ex-SMF, might be less ex-OAK).
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jv1
Great idea - I'm checking on San Fransisco based on your suggestion. The 220k is for 2 tickets.
If you find adding SFO-LAX to LAX-HNL on DL adds too many miles, you can always look at booking a cheap SFO-LAX flight on DL (I've seen as low as $50-$60 one-way) and then buy the LAX-HNL ticket with miles. Even though it's separate tickets, both would be DL and thus DL would through-check your luggage to HNL.

Do understand that this only alleviates some of the risk though, and nowhere near all of it. You will still have to reclaim any baggage in HNL and recheck-in with Hawaiian as they no longer through-check to each other unless on one single ticket. Also, know that since the DL and HA are not partners, and if your LAX-HNL flight is delayed/canceled, HA has no obligation to assist you. The same would be true for DL on the return - if your HA flight is delayed getting into HNL from PPT, DL is under no obligation to assist you or rebook you. Your plan would still carry a lot of risk - you have to decide if it's worth it, and if you do it, I would consider building in some long layovers in case there are delays.

If you're finding availability on HA, have you checked all airports HA flies to in the Bay Area and also checked SMF for SFO/OAK/SJC/SMF-HNL-PPT all on HA? Or considered just buying an HA R/T to HNL from the Bay Area to HNL and then the mileage ticket to PPT? While that would leave you on separate tickets, generally airlines are more forgiving and willing to work with you when you're on their metal for both tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.